The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot…

The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot… (original 1923; edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

2,003None3,339 (3.58)118
Member:vis02124
Title:The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Hercule Poirot

Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie (1923)

Recently added bywakkobr, Harry_Vincent, daryl_s2, mccin68, gjs3, private library, y2kbecs, artsybri, Dnaej
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg
1920s (18) 20th century (38) Agatha Christie (82) British (38) British fiction (14) British mystery (13) Christie (22) crime (91) crime fiction (49) detective (68) detective fiction (22) ebook (25) England (30) English (16) English literature (12) fiction (235) France (20) Golf (14) Hercule Poirot (101) murder (25) murder mystery (19) mystery (453) Netherlands (11) novel (38) paperback (17) Poirot (123) read (34) series (15) to-read (18) UK (13)

English (34)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (36)
Don't be fooled by the title. This novel has nothing to do with golf, and very little to do with the mentioned golf course. The second mystery in the Poirot series finds Poirot and Hastings off to France, called by a man who fears for his life. When they arrive they discover that their client has already died. The mystery builds as Poirot uncovers family connections and false identities. I didn't enjoy this book as much as other Poirot mysteries. I wasn't as taken with the setting- I prefer the ones set in England. I was never fully able to embrace the French environment. ( )
  lahochstetler | Jan 21, 2014 |
Not my favorite Christie. The murder plot seemed overly convoluted and I kept zoning out on the narration. I've liked other Christies narrated by Hugh Fraser so I think it was the plot I was zoning out on. Anyway, as others have said if you're interested in Christie but haven't read anything yet, don't start here. But it's notable for being the book where Captain Hastings meets his wife, that part was fun. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
The plot isn't the best by any means but that was quite charming. The tone is light - Hasting's romance (not with Poirot though ;)) and his being constantly wrong about everything was fun though completely clownish at times. The Cinderella subplot especially was completely unexpected to me. You can tell Christie's trying to find the right tone for her stories and hasn't quite found it yet. Nothing wrong with that - wouldn't reread but it was nice enough while it lasted. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
I went into this prepared for Poirot to hold the cards not only close to the chest, but behind his back. And so I was able to enjoy this.

While I was deliberately mis-led by Christie, it IS a mystery and misdirection is to be expected. Doesn't make me happy though to have a certain set of facts portrayed in such a way as to force the reader to come to certain conclusions.

However, I am thoroughly enjoying these little dashes of mystery between my usual sff/classic readings... ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
"The Murder On The Links is the second novel in the Hercule Poirot series by author Agatha Christie. Poirot receives a letter from a Monsieur Renauld, from France who believes his life is in danger and invites Poirot to come to France and investigate. When they attend the find that they are too late and Renauld has been murdered. Poirot and his friend Captain Hastings must sort through the clues to find the perpertrator all the while having to content with another detective that has appeared on the scene.

This book is where Christie really starts to develop her trademark formula and style read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | May 29, 2013 |
TO MY HUSBAND
I believe that a well-known anecdote exists to the effect that a young writer, determined to make the commencement of his story forcible and original enough to catch and rivet the attention of the most blasé of editors, penned the following sentence: '"Hell!" said the Duchess.'

THE DEADLY GAME

The sandtraps of millionaire Renauld's fabulous course were feared by golfers - and now one had became a fatal hazard for the legendary owner himself. Blood stained the sand where Renauld's butchred body was found.

Hercule Poirot could not resist the challenge of a tournament of death with a brilliant, mocking killer. As the count of corpses mounted, Poirot fell further and further behind - and only a desperate masterstroke could save the great detective from the most humiliating defeat opf his career.
    -------------------------------

LETHAL LINKS

What was the connection between two murders committed almost twenty years apart? Between the wife of a mysterious millionaire and the man's mistress living in a neighboring villa? Between  a beautiful showgirl and ugly blackmail? What link connected a strand of hair, a bloody letter opener, a blurred footprint, and a battered corpse in the sandtrap of a private golf course?

Hercule Poirot had to put together the strange pieces of a puzzle that stretched halfway around the  globe and into the most secret, sinister places of the human mind ,,,

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425067947, Mass Market Paperback)

A millionaire's been found stabbed in the back on his private golf course. Hercule Poirot finds no shortage of suspects in the victim's family tree, but even he is surprised when the killer strikes again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:52 -0400)

An urgent cry for help brings Poirot to France. But he arrives too late to save his client, whose brutally stabbed body now lies face downwards in a shallow grave on a golf course. But why is the dead man wearing his son's overcoat? And who was the impassioned love-letter in the pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions, the care is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible