The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot…

The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot… (original 1923; edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:vis02124
Title:The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Hercule Poirot

Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie (1923)

Recently added byTytti-K, QueenOfCrime
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (35)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (37)
The second Poirot mystery ever written, and I'm not sure Christie had his character quite ready yet, he managed to surprise me in the end.

This was only the second Agatha Christie novel that I read as an adult. I believe I read most of her Poirot and many Miss Marple stories when I was about 9-11 years old and of course I have since probably watched all the episodes starring David Suchet. So usually I would have some inkling of the plot, which is why I often choose not to read them anymore, but not with this one. And again this was a random find, so I thought why not? I did guess some parts of the story very early on, though the plot was pretty interesting.

It was a quick read like I thought it would be and I wanted to read something light. I found Hastings more irritating than I remembered him, maybe he gets smarter in the later novels. I might have given this four stars but there wasn't anything special in the story, just good, basic Agatha quality. But of course that is often better than many other authors manage. ( )
  | Nov 27, 2014 | edit |
An early Poirot, told Captain Hastings, about the death of a millionaire on a golf course. Compare Rex Stout's Fer-de-lace and E. C. Bailey's "The Sweet Shot." ( )
  antiquary | Nov 14, 2014 |
This audio edition of Murder on the Links is a recording of a BBC Radio full-cast dramatization, not the actual novel, which I've never read. (I prefer Jane Marple to Hercule Poirot.) I've read about and listened to old radio dramas, so I agree that, like books, they're good for the imagination. One advantage over TV and movies is not having to look at an actor who doesn't at all resemble the author's description. The sound effects are good.

Almost all of the action takes place in France. Hastings can't begin to keep up with his friend, Poirot's, little grey cells, but neither did I. There's an arrogant French policeman who foolishly believes he's better than Poirot. It's fun anticipating his comeuppance. There are some strong female characters, especially the one who wants Hastings to call her 'Cinderella'. Who murdered the millionaire and why turned out to be more twisted than I anticipated.

Murder on the Links is a good listening experience for mystery lovers. ( )
  JalenV | Aug 25, 2014 |
Don't be fooled by the title. This novel has nothing to do with golf, and very little to do with the mentioned golf course. The second mystery in the Poirot series finds Poirot and Hastings off to France, called by a man who fears for his life. When they arrive they discover that their client has already died. The mystery builds as Poirot uncovers family connections and false identities. I didn't enjoy this book as much as other Poirot mysteries. I wasn't as taken with the setting- I prefer the ones set in England. I was never fully able to embrace the French environment. ( )
  lahochstetler | Jan 21, 2014 |
The plot isn't the best by any means but that was quite charming. The tone is light - Hasting's romance (not with Poirot though ;)) and his being constantly wrong about everything was fun though completely clownish at times. The Cinderella subplot especially was completely unexpected to me. You can tell Christie's trying to find the right tone for her stories and hasn't quite found it yet. Nothing wrong with that - wouldn't reread but it was nice enough while it lasted. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gibbs, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnStarring cast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO MY HUSBAND
I believe that a well-known anecdote exists to the effect that a young writer, determined to make the commencement of his story forcible and original enough to catch and rivet the attention of the most blasé of editors, penned the following sentence: '"Hell!" said the Duchess.'

THE DEADLY GAME

The sandtraps of millionaire Renauld's fabulous course were feared by golfers - and now one had became a fatal hazard for the legendary owner himself. Blood stained the sand where Renauld's butchred body was found.

Hercule Poirot could not resist the challenge of a tournament of death with a brilliant, mocking killer. As the count of corpses mounted, Poirot fell further and further behind - and only a desperate masterstroke could save the great detective from the most humiliating defeat opf his career.
    -------------------------------

LETHAL LINKS

What was the connection between two murders committed almost twenty years apart? Between the wife of a mysterious millionaire and the man's mistress living in a neighboring villa? Between  a beautiful showgirl and ugly blackmail? What link connected a strand of hair, a bloody letter opener, a blurred footprint, and a battered corpse in the sandtrap of a private golf course?

Hercule Poirot had to put together the strange pieces of a puzzle that stretched halfway around the  globe and into the most secret, sinister places of the human mind ,,,

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425067947, Mass Market Paperback)

A millionaire's been found stabbed in the back on his private golf course. Hercule Poirot finds no shortage of suspects in the victim's family tree, but even he is surprised when the killer strikes again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:52 -0400)

An urgent cry for help brings Poirot to France. But he arrives too late to save his client, whose brutally stabbed body now lies face downwards in a shallow grave on a golf course. But why is the dead man wearing his son's overcoat? And who was the impassioned love-letter in the pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions, the care is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,041,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible