The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot…

The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot… (original 1923; edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:vis02124
Title:The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Hercule Poirot

Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie (1923)

English (55)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All (58)
A typically solid Agatha Christie effort, and as is the case with many of her works, it is the final plot twists and the ultimate resolution of events that raise this Hercule Poirot outing to a special level. Of course, I say this as a huge Christie homer, so there is much bias to be found here. The title of this one is deceptive, as the story has next to nothing to do with golf, but that's merely an observation and not a complaint. The tale revolves around a set of parents and their son and his involvement with two very different young women. Secrets abound, of course, including those between the parents and the son. Did these secrets play a role in murder? That's what Poirot sets out to determine, and of course his little grey cells prove to be up to the task. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
In this second novel featuring the indomitable Hercule Poirot, the Belgian detective receives a letter from a gentleman named Paul Renaldo who begs for Poirot’s help, saying that Renauld’s life is in danger. Poirot and his friend (and the novel’s narrator Captain Hastings) hurry off to Renauld’s home in the north of France, but when they get there they find that he has already been murdered. And so begins an investigation which has more twists and turns than a labyrinth, and is hampered by an over zealous and unfriendly Parisian detective named Girauld.

There are plenty of possible suspects, and several red herrings throughout the story, but leave it all to the ingenious Poirot to untangle all the threads and get to the truth. Of course you know at the start of the book that he will solve the mystery but the real pleasure is in seeing if you can solve it before he does. In my case the answer was…no. I thought I had sussed out the reason for the murder and the identity of the murderer, but I was completely wrong on both counts.

I enjoyed the book, but I’m not sure I liked it as much as Poirot’s previous (and first) outing, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, which also had lots of suspects and red herrings but was somewhat less convoluted than The Murder on the Links. If I’m honest, it felt almost as though Christie was a bit too clever when writing this one. I still liked it though, and I still love Poirot – he is such a lovable character. I can’t say the same for Captain Hastings, who if anything came across as rather bland. I do think Agatha Christie must really have had such a quick and intelligent mind, and I look forward to reading more of her books very soon. ( )
  Ruth72 | Apr 6, 2017 |
I went into this prepared for Poirot to hold the cards not only close to the chest, but behind his back. And so I was able to enjoy this.

While I was deliberately mis-led by Christie, it IS a mystery and misdirection is to be expected. Doesn't make me happy though to have a certain set of facts portrayed in such a way as to force the reader to come to certain conclusions.

However, I am thoroughly enjoying these little dashes of mystery between my usual sff/classic readings... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Loved the book. Much more subtle and intricate than the TV series Agatha Christie’s Poirot (starring the excellent David Suchet). The end of this—the second Poirot book, published in 1923—is quite endearing. Mrs. Christie did really use “the little grey cells” in her stories! ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
This e-book edition is very badly formatted.
It's turns out to be the uncorrected output of OCR, and many words, and even complete sentences are left out. So I quit reading this book any further after chapter 13. I'm looking for a better version nevertheless...
  AnneTanne | Jun 19, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbs, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnStarring cast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To My Husband

a fellow enthusiast for detective stories

and to whom I am indebted for much

helpful advice and criticism
I believe that a well-known anecdote exists to the effect that a young writer, determined to make the commencement of his story forcible and original enough to catch and rivet the attention of the most blasé of editors, penned the following sentence: '"Hell!" said the Duchess.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425067947, Mass Market Paperback)

A millionaire's been found stabbed in the back on his private golf course. Hercule Poirot finds no shortage of suspects in the victim's family tree, but even he is surprised when the killer strikes again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:07 -0400)

An urgent cry for help brings Poirot to France. But he arrives too late to save his client, whose brutally stabbed body now lies face downwards in a shallow grave on a golf course. But why is the dead man wearing his son's overcoat? And who was the impassioned love-letter in the pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions, the care is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,165,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible