Einstein's Beach House by Jacob M. Appel

Einstein's Beach House

by Jacob M. Appel

I don’t normally read short story collections but I really enjoyed these! Just short snippets of someone’s life, a snap shot of a situation but brilliantly written and very engaging! ( )
  debduck | Mar 30, 2019 |
I received the book in a Librarything giveaway, in exchange for a fair and honest review. I enjoyed the short stories, and love when I get a chance to read short stories. I love stories that I can set down and read quickly then move on to another story. I found humor in his stories and he does a good job with this characters. ( )
  Margaret.Yelton | Mar 26, 2019 |
Great. Couldn't put it down ( )
  Tula4545 | Mar 26, 2019 |
This is a collection of short stories about real life. Appel is excellent at descriptive writing, quickly drawing you into the scene and clearly identifying characters and their concerns. The twists in the stories are unexpected and uncontrived. Some stories end a bit too abruptly for my tastes but most left me with unanswered questions in the best way. Very enjoyable and quick read. ( )
  drroot | Mar 18, 2019 |
I’ll keep the review short and simple as not to spoil too much, but Einstein’s Beach House was a fantastic read. Honestly it was probably about a 4.5/5, I wasn’t a fan of all of the endings, and I wish the stories were more connected, but overall it was great.
My favorite of the stories was definitely The Rod of Asclepius; it’s a story that I would have never ever wondered about and its honestly just really intriguing. I love how dark it is and the fact that it’s in the pov of a vulnerable and unknowing child. Despite what I said about not liking some of the stories endings; this one was absolutely perfect. I loved it.
I’d definitely recommend this collection of stories to anyone who loves short stories, or really anyone who enjoys darker stories with deeper meanings; often of something you would have never even thought about. ( )
  brandonringer | Mar 11, 2019 |
For Rosalie
That year Lizzie's kid sister kept a list of things that were funny when they happened to other people: tarring and feathering, Peeping Toms, mad cow disease.

A couple adopt a depressed hedgehog; a mother is seduced by the father of her daughter's imaginary friend; a man kidnap's his ex-wife's pet turtle. In eight tragicomic stories, Einstein's Beach House features ordinary men and women rising to life's extraordinary challenges.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:58 -0400)

"A couple adopts a depressed hedgehog; a stranger shows up, claiming to be the father of a girl's imaginary friend; a woman kidnaps her ex-husband's turtle; a family is evicted from their home, but was it ever really theirs? Heartbreaking and hilarious, the eight stories of Einstein's Beach House examine how we deceive ourselves and others, all to arrive at something far more real."-- back cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book Einstein's Beach House is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,158,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible