The Seven Good Years: A Memoir by Etgar…

The Seven Good Years: A Memoir (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Etgar Keret (Author)

Member:grunin
Title:The Seven Good Years: A Memoir
Authors:Etgar Keret (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2015), Edition: 1st, 192 pages
Tags:Autobiography, Autographed, read

The Seven Good Years: A Memoir by Etgar Keret (2015)

English (6)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (9)
It was a smart move not to publish it in Hebrew / in Israel, but it did not go all the way.

The stories are mostly recycled (the "mostly" may actually be the effect of only some of them having been recycled several times in the past) in an obvious attempt to give form and structure to some haunting personal experiences and opinions and other things (unpublished newspaper columns, maybe?). The texts Keret comes up with seem to go through a 12-step programme to cope with the lack of success of the said attempt. Hello, they say, I am the second story of the third year, and here is what happened, and here is what has been added by the author by way of opinions and ruminations and reminiscences to make me feel better; I feel deformed and out of place, but at least I am not laid bare in my original language beside the beauties of the previous collections. ( )
  alik-fuchs | Apr 27, 2018 |
This is an excellent collection of short stories from a master storyteller. Poignant and humorous, it is also a window into life in Israel. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Mar 28, 2016 |
Really delightful, amid the somehow horrible circumstances of bombings and general fear. And four translators probably helped to get it just right. ( )
  nyiper | Dec 18, 2015 |
This book is a collection of essays written by Israeli writer Keret covering the seven years beginning with the birth of his son and ending with the death of his father. I think I was expecting some meaningful and deep essays about life in Israel and what it means to be a Jew today. Instead, the book is for the most part a memoir of Keret's personal and professional life, frequently related in a "Dave Barry-ish" humorous way. Of course, since he is a Jew and an Israeli, these topics are touched upon, but for the most part not in any kind of depth. And since the essays collected in this issue were written over a period of years, and cover various topics, I didn't find that there was a clear unity in the book (often a problem for me with essay and short story collections).

All of this sounds very negative, but I actually liked the book. The essays that stood out for me included the first, "Suddenly, the Same Thing," in which Keret discusses the birth of his son, which occurred at the same time as a terrorist attack:

"I try to calm him down to convince him that there is nothing to worry about, that by the time he grows up, everything here in the Middle East will be settled: peace will come, there won't be any more terrorist attacks...." But, although his son is just a newborn, who are supposed to be naïve, "even he doesn't buy it."

3 stars ( )
1 vote arubabookwoman | Nov 29, 2015 |
A collection of autobiographical essays about the seven years between the birth of Etgar Keret’s son and the death of his father. I am a long-time fan of Keret's flash fiction because he manages to put such an infinite amount of emotion and characterization into a few pages that I find myself sometimes slightly breathless. These essays have elements of his fiction - most of them are "bigger on the inside" - but are not as fanciful, obviously, being technically non-fiction. Although I've read some of these essays before in various publications, the collection is very coherent and each essay is made better by its neighbor. Such a lovely, albeit bittersweet, book. The essays were written in Hebrew and translated into English, but the book itself has not been published in Israel in Hebrew - Keret says that it feels too personal. ( )
  -Eva- | Aug 13, 2015 |

Etgar Keretprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berris, AnthonyTranslator.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kehlmann, DanielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silverston, SandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"I just hate terrorist attacks," the thin nurse says to the older one.

"The seven years between the birth of Etgar Keret's son and the death of his father were good years, though still full of reasons to worry. Lev is born in the midst of a terrorist attack. Etgar's father gets cancer. The threat of constant war looms over their home and permeates daily life"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,285,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible