The Snowman Storybook (Pictureback(R)) by…

The Snowman Storybook (Pictureback(R))

by Raymond Briggs

I liked the book "The Snowman Storybook". I liked the plot of this book. I think that they plot is simple for younger students to follow but allows their imagination to also add to the book. For example, when the boy and the snowman fly there is some mention of seeing cities and things below, but the main imagination is up to the reader. Additionally, I liked the illustrations. I think that illustrations are critical to telling the story because there are so few words on the page. For example, the book reads "The snowman was amazed by everything he saw", however the picture is actually showing everything her saw. The big idea of this book is about friendship and magic.
  may_tay_kay | Apr 19, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because the illustrations helped tell the story. They showed the boy building the snowman, and how “he gave him a scarf and a hat, a tangerine for a nose, and lumps of coal for his buttons and eyes.” These illustrations along with the text help show students the process of building a snowman, and eventually at the end of the story when the sun comes out the illustration shows the melted snowman. This can teach young readers what happens when sun reaches the snow, and how heat makes ice melt. I did not like this book because there was not a plot. The boy built a snowman, and went on an adventure with him. There was no conflict or suspense in the story. The big idea in this story, was how to build a snowman. It would be important to remind students that this story is fictional because snowmen will not come to life like the one did in this story. ( )
  JessicaSparacino | Feb 8, 2016 |
Summary:
This children's book is about a little boy who made a snowman in the snow one day. One evening, the little boy realizes that his snowman he made is magical. The little boy and the snowman take off on an adventure through the night and become best friends.

riendship, fun, and flying
Review:
This children's book reminds me a lot of Frosty the Snowman. This book is full of friendship, fun, and flying and I think children would love it. The illustrations in the book are excellent and make the book so much better. They really do capture the essence of the story. ( )
  mnorth2 | Oct 21, 2014 |
A boy makes a snowman and images an adventure
  AkiHicks | Dec 2, 2013 |
The Snowman by Raymond Briggs

This story is a wordless book. It vividly shows a little boy in the snow trying to build a snowman. It shows the whiteness of the snow. It shows the long hard processes of building a snowman.

I think this is a great story for non readers and readers alike. I can almost feel the coolness of the snow.

I would use this book for young elementary children. I would use it with a winter theme and do a KWL chart for the students about what they know about making a snowman. In Oklahoma, they probably have gotten this experience, but in other states they may not have much snow. ( )
  megjwal | Sep 11, 2010 |

Raymond Briggs was born in London in 1934.  At the age of 15, he  went to Wimbeldon Art School to learn how to draw, as he wanted to become a cartoonist.  But there he was told that cartooning was not a profession for gentlemen and that he ought to be a painter.  Raymond then went on to the Slade School in London to study painting as a full-time student.  During his spare time, he began work on a portfolio of illustrations of all kinds, including jackets and a wide selection of drawings to take to publishers.  After illustrating for advertising, newspapers and books, Raymond discovered that book illustration inspired him the most, since it offered far greater variety and freedom than anything else.  Raymond has always found it unfavorable to sustain a consistent illustration style for a long period of time.  He is always seeking to try something else new and different with his work.  Some of Raymond's best known works are The Snowman , The Man , and The Bear .  The setting for The Snowman is based on Raymond's own house and garden, which is in Sussex, England at the foot of South Downs, a few miles from Brighton.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:04 -0400)

When his snowman comes to life, a little boy invites him into his home and in return is taken on a flight high above the countryside. Unlike the original edition, this version has words.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible