You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)…

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Felicia Day (Author)

Member:paulmorriss
Title:You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)
Authors:Felicia Day (Author)
Info:Sphere (2016), Edition: 01, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost) by Felicia Day (2015)

As a girl that plays games (and has for a very long time), worked at a video game store, and was homeschooled I very much relate to this book. I have been bullied about my love of games and reading many times. Questioned by guys when I worked at that particular game store many times. And considered stopping playing because I'd some of the things I see girls go through online. This book makes me have faith that there are people out there like Felicia Day who are amazing nerd girls to encourage the next generation to not give up on what you love. I would definitely recommend this book to any and everyone. I felt like I was reading a book from a long lost friend. ( )
  JillKenna | Jul 9, 2017 |
Note to self: watch the writer's tv show before you read the book. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
I have read quite a few memoirs of late, and Felicia's has a very personal and approachable voice to it. No surprise here since this is exactly how she comes across online and on TV. I really liked how the book focuses on two aspects of her life - her "weirdness" (I could definitely relate) and how she found her place in the online world. She did not get bogged down on telling us every little event - just the key ones to fit the overall narrative. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
Oh, look what I found on Edelweiss.

Edit: And now it's on NetGalley also! :)

MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
This is book is written in such an engaging way that it is nearly impossible to put it down. It's also a very fast read. Right from the very start, it sucks you in and has you grinning and laughing along with the awkward moments and thoughts from the author's life that she's divulged in details that are extremely relatable. It's easy to think that even the awkward moments of celebrities and other people in the limelight who have accomplished a lot of creative and cool things are nowhere near as awkward as the moments from your own life that, even when you look back on years later, make you cringe and blush and want to sink into the floor. But, that's not the case here.

This book makes it clear that Felicia Day was, and still is, just like everybody else. She has had and still deals with awkward moments in life, insecurities and emotional upheavals. Even depression and anxiety. And yet, she was still able to stay a nice person and accomplish a lot of awesome things. That's pretty inspiring and uplifting, if you ask me. It lets you know that you can do that, too, because here's someone just like you who did it herself and is still doing it.

This book was engaging and written without any lofty under or overtones, without any I'm-smarter-than-you wording (even when she talks about to college before the age of 18 and graduating with degrees in math and music and with a 4.0 GPA).

Reading this book is like meeting Felicia Day for coffee and having a conversation with her, listening to her telling you all of these things, instead of sitting quietly somewhere by yourself and reading about it.

Seriously, guys, I can't stress enough how much of a wonderful and fast read this is. And it's totally worth it. I got this book from the library, but I'm totally going to buy it from Amazon anyway, despite having already read it once, because I need this book on my shelf. And I anticipate being able to walk to the bookshelf it's on and pull it down to read some choice passages and pages, or even a choice chapter, when I need some encouragement, comfort, or motivation myself.

Please read this book!! Even if you don't know who Felicia Day is, or you only know in a casual sense that she's an actress that friend/relative of yours loves. IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT. ( )
1 vote madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
For anyone who has ever felt that they don't belong or who is looking to forge a career in online entertainment, this book is a must-read.

It’s a memoir of sorts, chronicling Day’s life from her homeschooled childhood to her violin-prodigy college years to trying, and eventually succeeding, at making it in Hollywood.
added by rakerman | editForbes.com, Paul Tassi (Aug 12, 2015)

Felicia Day's memoir You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) starts off as a cute, snarky story about how a quirky upbringing turned Day into a nerd superhero; by the end, it's become an illuminating, frank look at the commercial realities, injustices and insecurities that everyone trying to earn a living online must confront.
added by rakerman | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Aug 11, 2015)

The last sliver of her memoir contains powerful stuff. If only she had dug as deep for the rest of the book, it might have been a real winner.

Felicia Dayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whedon, JossForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my mom, who is kooky and unique and taught me to be both these things and more. Even though my childhood wasn't "normal," she did her best to help me become who I am, and I love her for it.
I recently experienced the perfect summary of my career at a Build-A-Bear store inside a suburban mall in Lancaster, California.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,187,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible