Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Dear John (2006)

by Nicholas Sparks

4,981190918 (3.76)64
    At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks (softballgirl)
    softballgirl: I am currently reading this book and it is kind of like Dear john but different. Nicolas Sparks is the only author I will read. If you like small town love stories, this will be a good book for you to read!

English (185)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (190)
spoiler-alert

My thoughts :

So this is my first ever book i have read from nicholas sparks and it was a O.K book , I actually already watched the movie a couple times which i shouldn't have done ,but i finally have read it and because i have seen the movie there were allot of things i was questioning as Savannah's hair, in the book it's brown and on the cover and in the movie blond and how Tim and Alan are brothers in the book , but in the movie they are father and son , but i did love all the details and there was so much more to read which wasn't in the movie and i did enjoy the book but i didn't got feelings from it , the only time i got a little bit teary is when John's dad was dying and i could really imagine how it would feel to lose your only family. The book and the movie are in my perspective totally different . And to be honest the romance and emotions of the movie got way more to me then in the book , so i would recommend to first read the book and then watch the movie , and i do love romance books but i just didn't get the feelings from this book. ( )
  Bookswithtasha | Aug 10, 2015 |
The first time I read Dear John was in sixth grade, and let me tell you, I was a sucker for romance. Every book by Nicholas Sparks would make me cry a river; it was too much for my poor, young heart to handle.

Rereading this again years later, I discovered that I still wholeheartedly love Nicholas Sparks and that even though I don't burst into tears the minute I pick up the book anymore, I was able to relive the wonderful love story of John and Savannah. The characters are still as beautiful as I had remembered, the plot still as astounding, and my heart still as broken and shattered.

Thank you. I love you, Nicholas.
P.S. It's okay to write a happy ending. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
This book has been on my to-read list for a long time, and I've owned it for almost 2 years. I finally sat down and read it today. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. The I knew that the ending was sad, I had heard spoilers over the years, but the details of war were very raw, and emotional. Despite my dislike of the ending of the story for John, I absolutely loved the romance in the beginning of the story. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Great book! Loved the story! Did not end as expected though. Sometimes the story does not have a happily ever after ending. ( )
  bandpmom | Jun 5, 2015 |
I actually lost the library copy of this book (or you know, accidentally left it when I got my hair cut and it wasn't there when I went back to get it) so that sort of messed up my reviewing it when the movie came out...but the movie is still out :)

In Dear John, Nicholas Sparks doesn't stray from the formula that's worked for him in previous books like the notebook. This, too, is a summery romance set in North Caroline between two teens/young adults that (to me) borders on Christian fiction. This time around the male character is John who's had a slightly tough time with his teen years and is now in the army; home on leave he meets Savannah who is visiting the beach town John calls home with church friends.

A close connection is immediate and a relationship begins in the handful of days they have before John has to return overseas. They're determined to keep the relationship going and write letters to each other until John's next leave and discharge. But this book starts in the late 90s with John in places like Kosovo, so we know it won't be all sunshine and roses by the time he meets Savannah and goes back to his Army duties.

I read Dear John knowing that I might not like it (I have a less than A+ history with Nicholas Sparks books) but knowing that I love Amanda Seyfried (!!!!) and Channing Tatum both so I would probably want to see the movie anyway. And I always want to read the book before I see the movie. I won't say that this was something where I had to, had to read the book first like Where the Heart Is* or Blood and Chocolate (I actually loved both books and both movies but would never have chosen to see the movie first).

Dear John is a good enough book but I would almost just recommend seeing the movie (and I haven't seen it yet--hopefully tomorrow!). But I also know someone else who's read the book and didn't love it either but plans to see the movie, anyway. I think the characters were alright but the kind that work better for a two hour movie than the kind that you really get into reading a book. Does that make sense? Usually you can connect more with book characters than movie characters, but I didn't feel that with this book.

And I also felt that this book was trying too much to be interesting and loving and caring but it didn't work for me...again, I'd like to see this movie, but I didn't love the book. It's hard to explain too much, but it was really just a so-so book.

7/10

BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holter, GrahamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Ao Micah e à Christine
What does it mean to truly love another?
Presença assídua nas tabelas internacionais de bestsellers,Nicholas Sparks é um dos autores mais lidos e apreciados em todo o mundo. A capacidade única de tocar a sensibilidade do público é uma constante ao longo da sua obra eestá bem patente nas adaptações cinematográficas que alguns dos seus romances já inspiraram.

Summary Pgs. 1-100
"Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks is about a typical rebel, John Tyree who lives in Wilmington, North Carolina. He had a routine, he would always go to Leroy's, the local bar. He enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life. While he was at leave, he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. He met her while he was sufing the waves at Wrightsville Beach. It was love at first sight.

John was being nice & decides to jump in the ocean to rescue Savannah's purse that had fallen in. Savannah invites John back to the beach house for a kick back with all her friends. She had been in Wilmington because she & a couple of other people, Habitat for Humanity were there building houses for people in need. Shes been involved in it every summer since she was 16. They chose to volunteer at Wilmington instead of Lenoir or Raleigh because of the beach, that way more people will volunteer. While he was at the house Savannah introduced him to a very close friend of hers named Tim. She considers Tim a bestfriend hes like a brother to her. Tim was very affable & offered John a ride home after he ate with Savannah.

John loved surfing & he spent most of his time catching waves in the ocean. The night he was with Savannah he promised her that he would teach her how to surf. On Sunday morning, he had been up early & rushed over to the beach house to pick up Savannah immediately & walk over to beach. She was a very good learner & soon she was catching waves by herself. While John was sitting by the shore he enjoyed watching her fall off the board. He kept laughing, he was preety entertained. After a while, she was getting preety good because she had been in Gymnastics so, she didnt loose her balance. They came back to the beach house for some coffee.

Savannah had already made plans for the day. She was headed off to church with Tim. She talked about going to church with Tim & she invited John to go with them. John refused because he didn't have decent clothes to wear although he really wanted to go. Ever since he met Savannah, all he wanted to do was spend every single moment with her for aslong as he could. Savannah went to Tim & asked if he had clothes he could lend to John. As Tim being very friendly of course he said yes. He let him borrow a pair of nice dress slacks & a nice dress shirt in which John looked very handsome in. And off they were Tim, Savannah & John to Church.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446567337, Mass Market Paperback)

An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love--and face the hardest decision of his life.

Go Behind the Scenes of the Motion Picture Dear John (Sony Pictures, 2010)
Starring Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum

(Click on each image below to see a larger view)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:37 -0400)

John, a high school dropout, enlists in the Army not knowing what else to do with his life. While in the Army he meets Savannah, they fall in love and she awaits his return from the Army. After 9/11 John feels it's his duty to re-enlist. During their long separation Savannah falls in love and marries someone else.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,012,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible