Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Dear John (2006)

by Nicholas Sparks

5,959202701 (3.75)66
    At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks (softballgirl)
    softballgirl: I am currently reading this book and it is kind of like Dear john but different. Nicolas Sparks is the only author I will read. If you like small town love stories, this will be a good book for you to read!

English (196)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All (1)  Italian (1)  All (202)
I picked this book up randomly when I was babysitting my niece on Saturday. I have read a few Nicholas Sparks' books in the past and figured I would give another one a shot. While he does write stories about love and emotion, I generally find his writing style to be outstanding and I feel he does a good job explaining how people feel.

With that said, I did enjoy the pacing and writing of this book, but the storyline wasn't one of his best. It did not have the happy or even satisfying ending I am used to. Without giving anything away, the various small mysteries of the story were easy to figure out before they happened, and I just couldn't find myself bonding with any of the characters. I would recommend some of Sparks' earlier writings before one reads this book. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Read in High School
Age 13 (2006) – Age 22 (2015)
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 5, 2018 |
I am torn on whether or not to give this book 2 or three stars. On the one hand, Nicholas Sparks is my guilty pleasure author and this book definitely stirred up some feelings in my cold heart, but on the other hand, this book didn't really have a whole lot going on aside from John pining away for a girl he only knew for a short period of time.

I personally could tell that they would not end up together right from the get go. They were just so incredibly different. Savanah had her studies and John had the military that kept him away all the time, which is something that puts such an incredibly strain on a relationship. John had this idealistic picture in his head of Savanah and how they would lead their lives, but Savanah was left at home and was moving forward with her life while John was stuck in stasis with the military with only letters and a dreams.

The ending was predictable, but sweet. I had a hunch that Savanah had married Tim and that something had happened to him when we saw all the tubberware containers in her fridge. That being said, I am glad that John did not give in to his feelings and urges to sleep with Savanah, or to even contact her again after their final goodbye. It was painful, but the right thing to do. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
I had the chance to watched the movie version first and now that I've finally read the book, I must admit that the latter is much better. I felt that Savannah was impatient in the movie version. But in the book, Savannah's reasons and story was further explained. For me, this is one of those books that tells us that some things is just not meant to. ( )
  fugou | Aug 14, 2017 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holter, GrahamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Ao Micah e à Christine
What does it mean to truly love another?
Summary Pgs. 1-100
"Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks is about a typical rebel, John Tyree who lives in Wilmington, North Carolina. He had a routine, he would always go to Leroy's, the local bar. He enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life. While he was at leave, he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. He met her while he was sufing the waves at Wrightsville Beach. It was love at first sight.

John was being nice & decides to jump in the ocean to rescue Savannah's purse that had fallen in. Savannah invites John back to the beach house for a kick back with all her friends. She had been in Wilmington because she & a couple of other people, Habitat for Humanity were there building houses for people in need. Shes been involved in it every summer since she was 16. They chose to volunteer at Wilmington instead of Lenoir or Raleigh because of the beach, that way more people will volunteer. While he was at the house Savannah introduced him to a very close friend of hers named Tim. She considers Tim a bestfriend hes like a brother to her. Tim was very affable & offered John a ride home after he ate with Savannah.

John loved surfing & he spent most of his time catching waves in the ocean. The night he was with Savannah he promised her that he would teach her how to surf. On Sunday morning, he had been up early & rushed over to the beach house to pick up Savannah immediately & walk over to beach. She was a very good learner & soon she was catching waves by herself. While John was sitting by the shore he enjoyed watching her fall off the board. He kept laughing, he was preety entertained. After a while, she was getting preety good because she had been in Gymnastics so, she didnt loose her balance. They came back to the beach house for some coffee.

Savannah had already made plans for the day. She was headed off to church with Tim. She talked about going to church with Tim & she invited John to go with them. John refused because he didn't have decent clothes to wear although he really wanted to go. Ever since he met Savannah, all he wanted to do was spend every single moment with her for aslong as he could. Savannah went to Tim & asked if he had clothes he could lend to John. As Tim being very friendly of course he said yes. He let him borrow a pair of nice dress slacks & a nice dress shirt in which John looked very handsome in. And off they were Tim, Savannah & John to Church.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446567337, Mass Market Paperback)

An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love--and face the hardest decision of his life.

Go Behind the Scenes of the Motion Picture Dear John (Sony Pictures, 2010)
Starring Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum

(Click on each image below to see a larger view)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:37 -0400)

John, a high school dropout, enlists in the Army not knowing what else to do with his life. While in the Army he meets Savannah, they fall in love and she awaits his return from the Army. After 9/11 John feels it's his duty to re-enlist. During their long separation Savannah falls in love and marries someone else.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,259,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible