Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Dear John (2006)

by Nicholas Sparks

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks (softballgirl)
    softballgirl: I am currently reading this book and it is kind of like Dear john but different. Nicolas Sparks is the only author I will read. If you like small town love stories, this will be a good book for you to read!

English (173)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (177)
Quando Savannah Lynn Curtis entra em sua vida, John Tyree sabe que está pronto para começar tudo de novo.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 5, 2014 |
Wow, this book is hard to evaluate. There are parts of the book which I truly liked. As for the other parts of the book, they were awfully annoying. I read it without too many expectations, so it feels like it didn't really exceed in anything. I thought that the main characters, John and Savannah, were just the kind of characters I don't like to follow-up with in a story because although their reactions are very human, they are also very plain and unimpressive. John is the typical regular hunk who falls in love with a random girl he meets on a stroll on the beach AND YET he just KNOWS that she is the woman of her dreams? I couldn't really buy the idea. It's kinda ironic that the best parts of the book in my opinion revolve around John's relationship with his dad, and THAT was something that moved me to tears. I also liked Tim, who also happens to be very "normal" and yet struck me as a far better character than John.
This was an... okay book. Not excellent, not awful. Just... okay. Still, I'm quite willing to take a look at the other Nicholas Sparks' books. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Loved it, couldn't put it down. ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |
Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. Grand Central Publishing. 20 Chapters. 330 pages.

Type of Book: Realistic fiction.

Summary: John Tyree starts off talking about where he grew up and the differences between himself and his dad. John tells about his childhood and feels that he has let his father down so he joined the military. When he returned home for a two week leave he met a girl named Savannah while on the beach. He spent his time on the beach and the two instantly had a connection. The two weeks that he was home was when the two fell in love. Savannah was willing to wait for John until he got out of the military. In New York City on September 11th some events occurred and John enlisted for a few more years. While John was away Savannah fell in love with another man and ended up marrying him. She is still in love with John but the two never end up together.

Response: This is by far one of my favorite books. I enjoyed the love story that it told. Nicholas Sparks is my favorite author. This book had me crying, smiling and all different emotions. At the end you always expect the two to get back together which I was expecting until I got to the end and they did not reunite. I have seen the movie and I did not like the movie as well as the book. The book showed more emotion and was just better overall than the movie.
  singleton2012 | Feb 20, 2014 |
Truly Moving: This book was simply incredible. I laughed, I cried and I loved every word in this book. It's such a realistic story that can be read with ease. From the second I started reading this I did not want to put it down. I really can't describe in words how it made me feel, but once you read it I know you will feel it too. Nicholas Sparks is an amazing writer and definately knows how to get to your heart.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holter, GrahamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Ao Micah e à Christine
What does it mean to truly love another?
Presença assídua nas tabelas internacionais de bestsellers,Nicholas Sparks é um dos autores mais lidos e apreciados em todo o mundo. A capacidade única de tocar a sensibilidade do público é uma constante ao longo da sua obra eestá bem patente nas adaptações cinematográficas que alguns dos seus romances já inspiraram.

Summary Pgs. 1-100
"Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks is about a typical rebel, John Tyree who lives in Wilmington, North Carolina. He had a routine, he would always go to Leroy's, the local bar. He enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life. While he was at leave, he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. He met her while he was sufing the waves at Wrightsville Beach. It was love at first sight.

John was being nice & decides to jump in the ocean to rescue Savannah's purse that had fallen in. Savannah invites John back to the beach house for a kick back with all her friends. She had been in Wilmington because she & a couple of other people, Habitat for Humanity were there building houses for people in need. Shes been involved in it every summer since she was 16. They chose to volunteer at Wilmington instead of Lenoir or Raleigh because of the beach, that way more people will volunteer. While he was at the house Savannah introduced him to a very close friend of hers named Tim. She considers Tim a bestfriend hes like a brother to her. Tim was very affable & offered John a ride home after he ate with Savannah.

John loved surfing & he spent most of his time catching waves in the ocean. The night he was with Savannah he promised her that he would teach her how to surf. On Sunday morning, he had been up early & rushed over to the beach house to pick up Savannah immediately & walk over to beach. She was a very good learner & soon she was catching waves by herself. While John was sitting by the shore he enjoyed watching her fall off the board. He kept laughing, he was preety entertained. After a while, she was getting preety good because she had been in Gymnastics so, she didnt loose her balance. They came back to the beach house for some coffee.

Savannah had already made plans for the day. She was headed off to church with Tim. She talked about going to church with Tim & she invited John to go with them. John refused because he didn't have decent clothes to wear although he really wanted to go. Ever since he met Savannah, all he wanted to do was spend every single moment with her for aslong as he could. Savannah went to Tim & asked if he had clothes he could lend to John. As Tim being very friendly of course he said yes. He let him borrow a pair of nice dress slacks & a nice dress shirt in which John looked very handsome in. And off they were Tim, Savannah & John to Church.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446567337, Mass Market Paperback)

An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love--and face the hardest decision of his life.

Go Behind the Scenes of the Motion Picture Dear John (Sony Pictures, 2010)
Starring Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum

(Click on each image below to see a larger view)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:19 -0400)

John, a high school dropout, enlists in the Army not knowing what else to do with his life. While in the Army he meets Savannah, they fall in love and she awaits his return from the Army. After 9/11 John feels it's his duty to re-enlist. During their long separation Savannah falls in love and marries someone else.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,326,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible