Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Dear John (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Nicholas Sparks (Author)

6,118205991 (3.75)66
Member:JenMat
Title:Dear John
Authors:Nicholas Sparks (Author)
Info:Warner Books (2006), Edition: 1, 288 pages
Rating:***

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks (2006)

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks (softballgirl)
    softballgirl: I am currently reading this book and it is kind of like Dear john but different. Nicolas Sparks is the only author I will read. If you like small town love stories, this will be a good book for you to read!

English (199)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (205)
First off I read this book in like 4 hours, so you could say I was into it. The story is told completely from John's point of view. Normally I don't like books where I only get to read one side of the story; I like to get into characters heads and know/experience their emotions. As you can see by the A grade I gave this book it didn't bother me. The writing style of Nicholas Sparks is so good it wasn't a problem and the character John talks about other characters in a way that as the reader you can visualize what they are thinking or feeling.
Oh how I loved the character of John. He was so real to me. He wasn't an over the top hero that appears in usual romance books but realistically flawed. John is almost too hard for me to describe. He is so normal but so extraordinary at the same time.
The lead character of Savannah I wanted to slap. She doesn't cuss or drink and seems so goody/innocent. She would be very judgmental at times and then be like "Oh I shouldn't say that, but I just can't help it". She was incredibly naive so much so that it really annoyed me. When her upbringing is discussed I softened more towards her because honestly this chick was sheltered to the point of being detrimental. I had to remind myself she was very young 22 or so I think the 9 months she has to wait for John to come back the U.S. seems like eternity for her while I'm like it's only 9 months why can't you wait for him!?
John's relationship with his father was as big a part of the story as the romance with Savannah. Savannah helps John discover his dad has Aspergers. When John learns this he is able to create more of a relationship with his father. This storyline of John trying to connect with his dad who is somewhat emotionally stunted is heartwrenching. I cried so hard for them.
I don't want to give to much away with regards to the ending but I will say my anger towards Savannah lessened. Her age and naivety worked against her and by the time she got a taste of the real world and grew up a bit her life was on a path she couldn't get off of. I'm just upset John had to pay for her immaturity.
This book made it so clear that strength and maturity are needed for love and relationships to work. Definitely a "real" life story here and I hope any soldier who receives a "Dear John" letter finds someone who is strong enough for them.
Whenever I see the preview for the movie now I instantly feel weepy. I think I am going to want to see the movie and I hope they keep in all the story of John and his father. I don't think I want them to change the ending, ruining the essence of the book and all that jazz, but after The Lovely Bones I could stand for some happiness.

Why can't they make movies from non-depressing books? My vote is for the "Crazy Hot" movie. oh please, please! :)

A (but not a keeper because I will never read this story again, I am not a masochist)
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
Not my favorite Nicholas Sparks book. But it definitely had the criteria of rip your heart out and stomp on it.

For some reason, I didn't connect with the characters as much in this book as I did his other stories. However, it's still a must-read for Nicholas Sparks lovers. Because let's be honest, no one can tell a love story quite like he can. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
I once read a very angry book about modesty, not that I wanted it to be angry—that was an unpleasant surprise.

This was different. This was much better.

I wasn’t really looking for it to be that. I bought it, thinking, I read a lot about more liberal environments like New York and London; I could see what one of these soppy Southern love stories are like, even though I’m not sure I’ll like it. I don’t always. I started reading it, thinking, I read too much that’s serious, but I don’t want to do anything bad.

I found the topic to be modesty or purity, just dressed up in the form of a novel instead of given a theoretical treatment, but it wasn’t a story about nothing. It was good.

....................................

I was impressed by the respect given to John’s dad and something like coin collecting that would be so easy to make fun of in a romance novel. More subtly, the observation, (given without comment), that John was anxiously wondering if she was thinking of him as much as he thought about her, which to me is such clear evidence of the ego at work.

.................................

It’s written pretty well, and it’s not a faction piece. Summer ends, and you have to go back to work.

...................................

Didn’t John Lennon, in one of his 50s phases, say, ‘I could spend my whole life making you toe the line; I’m a jealous guy’? Well, I don’t think that it would have been any better if he had needed to punish her for not toeing the line. Sparks drifts right, but he’s not an angry partisan.

.....................................

You’re in so much pain, but the thing about sin is that it just doesn’t work.

Great novel.

..........................................

Every test is an opportunity to discover grace.
  smallself | Dec 5, 2018 |
This is my least favorite book by Sparks. I thought Savannah was a joke. I am a military wife and I just thought it was crap how she breaks up with him while he is in Iraq. Some people think it wasn't cheating, but I do. I personally think the character of John is way to good for Savannah. This is one I will not be rereading. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
I picked this book up randomly when I was babysitting my niece on Saturday. I have read a few Nicholas Sparks' books in the past and figured I would give another one a shot. While he does write stories about love and emotion, I generally find his writing style to be outstanding and I feel he does a good job explaining how people feel.

With that said, I did enjoy the pacing and writing of this book, but the storyline wasn't one of his best. It did not have the happy or even satisfying ending I am used to. Without giving anything away, the various small mysteries of the story were easy to figure out before they happened, and I just couldn't find myself bonding with any of the characters. I would recommend some of Sparks' earlier writings before one reads this book. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holter, GrahamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Ao Micah e à Christine
What does it mean to truly love another?
Summary Pgs. 1-100
"Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks is about a typical rebel, John Tyree who lives in Wilmington, North Carolina. He had a routine, he would always go to Leroy's, the local bar. He enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life. While he was at leave, he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. He met her while he was sufing the waves at Wrightsville Beach. It was love at first sight.

John was being nice & decides to jump in the ocean to rescue Savannah's purse that had fallen in. Savannah invites John back to the beach house for a kick back with all her friends. She had been in Wilmington because she & a couple of other people, Habitat for Humanity were there building houses for people in need. Shes been involved in it every summer since she was 16. They chose to volunteer at Wilmington instead of Lenoir or Raleigh because of the beach, that way more people will volunteer. While he was at the house Savannah introduced him to a very close friend of hers named Tim. She considers Tim a bestfriend hes like a brother to her. Tim was very affable & offered John a ride home after he ate with Savannah.

John loved surfing & he spent most of his time catching waves in the ocean. The night he was with Savannah he promised her that he would teach her how to surf. On Sunday morning, he had been up early & rushed over to the beach house to pick up Savannah immediately & walk over to beach. She was a very good learner & soon she was catching waves by herself. While John was sitting by the shore he enjoyed watching her fall off the board. He kept laughing, he was preety entertained. After a while, she was getting preety good because she had been in Gymnastics so, she didnt loose her balance. They came back to the beach house for some coffee.

Savannah had already made plans for the day. She was headed off to church with Tim. She talked about going to church with Tim & she invited John to go with them. John refused because he didn't have decent clothes to wear although he really wanted to go. Ever since he met Savannah, all he wanted to do was spend every single moment with her for aslong as he could. Savannah went to Tim & asked if he had clothes he could lend to John. As Tim being very friendly of course he said yes. He let him borrow a pair of nice dress slacks & a nice dress shirt in which John looked very handsome in. And off they were Tim, Savannah & John to Church.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446567337, Mass Market Paperback)

An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love--and face the hardest decision of his life.

Go Behind the Scenes of the Motion Picture Dear John (Sony Pictures, 2010)
Starring Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum

(Click on each image below to see a larger view)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:37 -0400)

John, a high school dropout, enlists in the Army not knowing what else to do with his life. While in the Army he meets Savannah, they fall in love and she awaits his return from the Army. After 9/11 John feels it's his duty to re-enlist. During their long separation Savannah falls in love and marries someone else.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,660,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible