Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

Dear John (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Nicholas Sparks

5,412197802 (3.75)65
Title:Dear John
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Perfection Learning (2010), Hardcover, 335 pages

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks (2006)

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks (softballgirl)
    softballgirl: I am currently reading this book and it is kind of like Dear john but different. Nicolas Sparks is the only author I will read. If you like small town love stories, this will be a good book for you to read!

English (191)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (196)
A fantastic story - essentially exactly what a reader expects from a Nicholas Sparks novel. Like most of his books, Dear John is one that you won't be able to put down until you've finished it. Friends of mine who don't care for reading books of any kind have told me they loved this one in particular.

I'd also like to add: even if you've seen the movie, you ought to read the book. It's much better - but anticipate a different ending. ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Oct 4, 2016 |
It was a slow start. I hated the way the story turned out. Ugh...Savannah is such a skeeving ho! I just thoroughly disliked her practically from the beginning. I knew it was going to have a crappy ending but I just couldn't help but the finish it. One of the only redeeming qualities was the evolution of John and his fathers relationship. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This book is sooooo much better than the movie. It lets you dig deeper into the characters and lets you understand why everyone did what they did. This book is well worth a read. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
This was such a great book, I could not put it down! I loved reading how John and Savannah inspired the best in each other. The story of how their love for each other grew and was tested severely was very realistic and interesting. I would recommend this book to students in 6th grade. This would relate to a more mature audience because it is a love novel and shares intimate feelings between a couple. It is beautifully written book, that uses a lot of imagery to paint a picture of all of the scenes throughout the book. I loved the main characters and how they were depicted in the story. There was not much of a moral behind this book besides the fact that love comes in all shapes, forms, and sizes. ( )
  Jcomfo1 | Mar 8, 2016 |

Dear John was the perfect romantic read, it's a bittersweet love story. I *sighed* while reading and found myself saying "awwwwww" several times. Yes, it was kind of sappy, but hey, sometimes you're in the mood for a good, sappy love story.

Set in modern day North Carolina, John and Savannah meet while he is on military leave for two weeks during the summer. John is a reformed bad boy, who was raised by his father and joined the army shortly after high school. Savannah is a good girl/college student. The two are opposites, yet are drawn into each other from the start. They fall in love during the short time they have together, and when John has to go back to Germany for a year, they promise to wait for each other. John and Savannah write letters to each other while they are apart and after the year is over, the two reunite and they are both still in love. But as they are forced to be apart for longer than expected, their love is tested and they begin to grow apart.

The book is narrated by John, and you get to see how much he does love Savannah. I really like John's character. He was loyal, kind and caring. Savannah irritated me just a bit. I think it's because she seemed childish at times, and as the two would have arguments, I found her annoying. All in all, I truly enjoyed this book and will read more Nicholas Sparks. I enjoyed the writing and the storyline.
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holter, GrahamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Ao Micah e à Christine
What does it mean to truly love another?
Presença assídua nas tabelas internacionais de bestsellers,Nicholas Sparks é um dos autores mais lidos e apreciados em todo o mundo. A capacidade única de tocar a sensibilidade do público é uma constante ao longo da sua obra eestá bem patente nas adaptações cinematográficas que alguns dos seus romances já inspiraram.
Summary Pgs. 1-100
"Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks is about a typical rebel, John Tyree who lives in Wilmington, North Carolina. He had a routine, he would always go to Leroy's, the local bar. He enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life. While he was at leave, he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. He met her while he was sufing the waves at Wrightsville Beach. It was love at first sight.

John was being nice & decides to jump in the ocean to rescue Savannah's purse that had fallen in. Savannah invites John back to the beach house for a kick back with all her friends. She had been in Wilmington because she & a couple of other people, Habitat for Humanity were there building houses for people in need. Shes been involved in it every summer since she was 16. They chose to volunteer at Wilmington instead of Lenoir or Raleigh because of the beach, that way more people will volunteer. While he was at the house Savannah introduced him to a very close friend of hers named Tim. She considers Tim a bestfriend hes like a brother to her. Tim was very affable & offered John a ride home after he ate with Savannah.

John loved surfing & he spent most of his time catching waves in the ocean. The night he was with Savannah he promised her that he would teach her how to surf. On Sunday morning, he had been up early & rushed over to the beach house to pick up Savannah immediately & walk over to beach. She was a very good learner & soon she was catching waves by herself. While John was sitting by the shore he enjoyed watching her fall off the board. He kept laughing, he was preety entertained. After a while, she was getting preety good because she had been in Gymnastics so, she didnt loose her balance. They came back to the beach house for some coffee.

Savannah had already made plans for the day. She was headed off to church with Tim. She talked about going to church with Tim & she invited John to go with them. John refused because he didn't have decent clothes to wear although he really wanted to go. Ever since he met Savannah, all he wanted to do was spend every single moment with her for aslong as he could. Savannah went to Tim & asked if he had clothes he could lend to John. As Tim being very friendly of course he said yes. He let him borrow a pair of nice dress slacks & a nice dress shirt in which John looked very handsome in. And off they were Tim, Savannah & John to Church.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446567337, Mass Market Paperback)

An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love--and face the hardest decision of his life.

Go Behind the Scenes of the Motion Picture Dear John (Sony Pictures, 2010)
Starring Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum

(Click on each image below to see a larger view)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:37 -0400)

John, a high school dropout, enlists in the Army not knowing what else to do with his life. While in the Army he meets Savannah, they fall in love and she awaits his return from the Army. After 9/11 John feels it's his duty to re-enlist. During their long separation Savannah falls in love and marries someone else.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,714,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible