The Clocks by Agatha Christie

Member:Jabiru
Title:The Clocks
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Publisher Unknown

The Clocks by Agatha Christie (1963)

English (26)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (30)
This was written very differently and the plot development was unique also. For starters, the narrative voice changed several times from third person to first person (and it wasn't Poirot as first person either). I thought at first this might create problems like with time jumping but after a few chapters the transitions felt familiar and smooth. Secondly, Poirot never set foot on the crime scenes and he never spoke to any of the suspects. From what I've read, this is the only time Christie employed this tactic and it was mostly to show that it was possible for the Belgian detective to accomplish such a feat. As per usual, I thought I had the whole thing figured out only to discover that it was all a pile-up of red herrings and I'd been duped again. Oh, Agatha! ( )
1 vote AliceaP | Nov 3, 2014 |
A dead man is found in a room in a house where he is not known, with four clocks (none of which belong to the house) ll stopped but set to one time. The man turns out to be a minor con man who preyed on women with pretended offers of marriage. He is identified by his former real wife, a minor actress --a type who appears I other Christie novels, vulgar but good-hearted. Poirot is brought into the case relatively late. ( )
  antiquary | Oct 23, 2014 |
A great read with lots of twists and turns and characters with dark secrets. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jul 9, 2014 |
It has been almost a year since I last read Christie. Mostly because the Poirot novels, though individually great, tend to feel rather repetitive if read too many too soon. Nevertheless, browsing around when I saw the book on Goodreads, I was intrigued.

So I decided to give it a shot. And it wasn't bad. The murder was indeed exceptionally baffling, with there being absolutely no seeming motive, suspect, an unidentified victim, and the aforementioned mysterious clocks. It would've been fun to watch Poirot unravel the mystery.

And here I come to my main issue with the books : Too little Poirot. The book is narrated mostly from the POV of Colin Lamb, a friend of Poirot, and Detective Hardcastle, who is the one assigned to the case. And both of them I found to be rather boring. There is none of the flair and eccentricity and pride that I have come to expect from Poirot's books. That's because he appears only a handful of times, and that only briefly. The denouement, when it comes, is rather sudden and bland as a result. I won't spoil it, but let's just say it felt a lot like handwaving away the puzzles.

The Verdict :
The Clocks had the potential to be so much more. The premise is interesting, but too little of Poirot means the book felt rather boring. Decent by itself, but certainly not one of Christie's better books.
  hoodakaushal | Jun 25, 2014 |
Quite fun this one was! Loads of good psychology here too and it was refreshing to have a disabled character as one of the main protagonists. Didn't quite feel like a Poirot novel since he makes such a small appearance but I didn't care - Colin was lovely. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kopperi, Pauli A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my old friend
Mario
with happy memories of delicious food at the Caprice
The afternoon of the 9th of September was exactly like any other afternoon.

The little Belgian detective Hercule Poirot has a problem - four clocks, all set at 4:13 and left at the scene of a murder. The witnesses are a blind woman, a young secretary, and an innocent passerby,
Poirot must solve this case in time, before another life is lost.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425173917, Mass Market Paperback)

The Queen of Crime clocks in with a classic of untimely demise.

At her new job, Sheila Webb finds a corpse surrounded by five clocks, each set to a different time. Fortunately, Hercule Poirot has nothing but time to piece together one of his most puzzling cases.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:55 -0400)

Hercule Poirot, the relentless Belgian detective, investigates when a body is found in Miss Millicent Pebmarsh's sitting room with four strange clocks set at 4:13.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,447,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible