Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson

Walk on Earth a Stranger (2015)

by Rae Carson

I love Rae Carson, but I agree with other reviewers that say this book has a pacing problem. In the beginning it's established that Leah can sense gold, but once she's on the road to California, this rarely comes into play.

I do appreciate all of the historical detail and character work, though, and the writing js fabulous. Carson seems to be setting up the building blocks, and I'm hoping the sequel(s) are more fulfilling. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
Lee Westfall has a secret ability to sense gold in the world around her. This power enabled her to keep her family safe and provided with provisions during the harsh winters. What dangers will Lee face when someone learns of her power and wants to control it? Fleeing to California where gold has been found might be the place a girl with magical abilities can be herself.
  jek73 | Nov 16, 2018 |
In Rae Carson’s last series I was super harsh and mean. I hated the main character and hated the ending she got because in my opinion it wasn’t deserved. But I did like the side characters and the fantasy world that Carson created was one that I really enjoyed. But finishing The Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy was more a hate-reading experience for me.

What makes Walk on Earth a Stranger different? It’s totally the new main character. Leah Westfall is a resourceful girl with the skills necessary and believable to survive. While she depended on others for certain things, not at one point was she completely incompetent or incapable of thinking her way out of a situation. She is on a long trek to escape her murderous uncle and to find her best friend Jefferson who left towards the California gold rush. This book had a tiny element of magic where Leah had the ability to sense gold and even then it wasn’t the main focus of the story. In her attempts to run away from the uncle that murdered her parents Leah takes her horse Peony and decides to further hide her identity and dress as a boy. She soon joins a wagon of people about to cross towards the west and into California and from there we follow her journey of self-discovery and the family she gains along the way.

The themes of identity and family were woven in so nicely. There were many characters that became instant favorites for me. The world built around Leah was well done and I enjoyed every mile of the journey. Carson did her research well and in my opinion, captured the feelings and blatant racism of the company men whenever they came across Natives on the same path they were on. It would be naive to think that you could tell a story like this without exploring that reality even if the catalyst for Leah’s tragedies were a tale of fantasy. What I liked was how Carson counteracted that ugliness with the beauty of the growing closeness of Leah and those who like her, wanted nothing to do with those men aside from the strength in numbers to confront thieves, hauling heavy wagons over hills and fixing broken wheels.

Between her other series and this one, I would highly recommend the Gold Seer trilogy. ( )
  Jessika.C | Nov 1, 2018 |
Lee Westfall has the magical ability to sense the presence of gold, a much sought-after skill during the California Gold Rush!
  tartanlibrary | May 22, 2018 |
This was basically like reading a novelized version of the Oregon Trail computer game and I LOVED IT!

Rae Carson is great at character development, and this book was no stranger to that. She is also the QUEEN of the slow burn. I can already tell Leah and Jefferson are going to be the slowest slow burn to ever slow burn, and I am totally ok with that. It was really nice to see a relationship rooted in being best friends slowly grow into the potential of something more.

Some of the other men in this novel however were downright despicable, but that is to be expected concerning the time period in which the story is set.

Overall, this was a really solid read and I'm definitely looking forward to book two! ( )
  mmalyn | Feb 24, 2018 |
For Martha Mihalick, editrix extraordinaire
I hear the deer before I see him, though he makes less noise than a squirrel-the gentle crunch of snow, a snapping twig, the soft whuff as he roots around for dead grass.

Lee Westfall, a young woman with the magical ability to sense the presence of gold, must flee her home to avoid people who would abuse her powers, so when her best friend Jefferson heads out across Gold Rush-era America to stake his claim, she disguises herself as a boy and sets out on her own dangerous journey.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,412,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible