The Mirror Crack'd (Miss Marple Mysteries)…

The Mirror Crack'd (Miss Marple Mysteries) (original 1962; edition 2000)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

Member:mbellomo83
Title:The Mirror Crack'd (Miss Marple Mysteries)
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Signet (2000), Edition: 6th Printing, 224 pages

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha Christie (1962)

English (44)  French (2)  Indonesian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (50)
The Mirror Cracked (1962) (Miss Marple #9) by Agatha Christie. Changes have occurred since our last visit to the quiet village of St. Mary Mead. A large estate has been sold to “those Hollywood people”, there is a new housing development with an influx of middle class peoples, new shops, a supermarket, there is a nearby film studio now and many other alterations to our small town.
Thank goodness for Miss Marple and the nature of people, those two things stay steadfast in their natures.
Actress Marina Gregg an her husband have purchased Gossington Hall (made infamous in The Body In The Library), renovated it and have now thrown it open to the public for a fete to celebrate. A woman from the development that, by accident, Miss Marple met, a Mrs. Badcock, attends the festivities and, mere moments after meeting the celebrity, falls down dead.
The thought is that Ms. Gregg was the intended target so Chief Inspector Craddock (welcome back and congratulations on the promotion) is back on the case trying to suss out the truth. As in all Christie books, the truth is a most elusive thing, not to be found until a few more bodies appear, Miss Marple has some heart to heart chats with a dozen concerned citizens and the police have followed wrong leads aplenty.
A good strong story and will have you wondering oil the end. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Apr 15, 2019 |
aka "The Mirror Crack'd" ( )
  phollis68 | Apr 9, 2019 |
In which an attempt is made on a movie star’s life, and no one is asking the right questions.

I’ve always liked this book, but perhaps that’s just because I have an affection for "The Lady of Shallot" – the poem from which the book’s title emanates – and that poem’s eponymous lady, Elaine of Astolat.

Either way, "The Mirror Crack’d" is not too shabby for a ’60s Christie book, with an intriguing murder, some clever misdirection and an enjoyably broad cast of characters. As with some of the later Poirot works, Marple gathers most of her information second-hand, and there aren’t an abundance of clues to begin with (but then again, the murder doesn’t require many.)

Christie’s later works often feature “young people” and modern society encroaching on village life, but it’s less hoary here than usual. Having the elderly Jane Marple as the detective makes Christie’s treatment of this seem in-character, and Marina Gregg and her potentially murderous entourage are well-drawn. The solution is a decent surprise and it’s possibly the only one of Christie’s works featuring an actor in which the solution does not rely on disguise (and, thus, the unlikely plan of no-one recognising the killer in said disguise). "The Mirror Crack’d" is not a classic (few Marple books are), but it’s a worthy read, and you’ll hopefully be surprised but not annoyed by the fitting solution.

Marple ranking: 5th of 14 ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Fun as always. By sheer coincidence, my last Christie was Murder at the Vicarage, the first Miss Marple novel. With 30 years passed, Miss Marple is just as sharp, but Christie's writing has matured a lot - more nuanced, effortless, she spends more time on human character and amusing detail - while perfecting the art of misdirection. It was a pleasure to see Miss Marple unraveling the mystery with pure logic. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Still working my way through Miss Marple when I got to this one. This one was interesting because I didn’t think the mystery was particularly good, but I loved all the time spent with Miss Marple and expanding her world. St. Mary Mead has a new housing development, and life has changed greatly.

The mystery takes place at Gossington Hall where “The Body in the Library” was found. The mansion is no longer owned by Mrs. Bantry, now a widow, but she appears in this story as a main character once more. Heather Badcock is poisoned by a cocktail while attending a party thrown by the actress Marina Gregg. The glass was Marina’s – the intended target. But, who would want to kill her? Though the resolution was clever, I just didn’t care about this case as I did others. Too much time was spent telling readers how high-strung Marina is; how her mental health is frail due to being an actress; how turbulent and scandal-laden the film industry is. Meh. However, the character and world building was a welcome surprise.

Miss Marple appeared in twelve novels, but this was the first to really make me feel as if it were a series, and that time had passed. There are more references to past cases, and recurring characters appear again, albeit older: her godson, Detective-Inspector Craddock, Dr. Haydock and Mrs. Bantry among them. Even the village has changed, with a new housing development and new people. Miss Marple now has a live-in helper provided by her nephew. Miss Knight irritates Miss Marple, who is struggling with failing eyesight, no longer being able to garden, and her own frailty. A spicy murder mystery to occupy her mind is literally just what the Doctor ordered!

Overall, I didn’t think this was a good as other Marple mysteries, but I enjoyed it anyway. ( )
  jshillingford | Oct 3, 2018 |

de Groot, J.A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raich Ullán, María DoloresTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Miss Marple Meets Murder by Agatha Christie

Five Complete Miss Marple Novels: The Body in the Library, A Caribbean Mystery, The Mirror Crack'd, Nemesis, What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! by Agatha Christie

Nemesis [and] The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: The A.B.C. Murders, The Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side, They Came To Baghdad by Agatha Christie

Miss Marple Omnibus (Volume 2) by Agatha Christie

Best In Books: Mandate For Change, A Man Named John, Happy New Year Herbie, Renoir, My Father, The Mirror Crack'd, By Quintin Reynolds, The Dillinger Days, Power Of Attorney, Two-Thirds of A Coconut Tree, The Whole Truth And Nothing But by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.
--Alfred Tennyson
To Margaret Rutherford in admiration
Miss Jane Marple was sitting by her window.
"Well, Alison always saw her own point of view so clearly that she didn't always see how things might appear to, or affect, other people." Chapter 2)
'I don't--didn't dislike her.   But she's just not my type.  Too interfering."
"You mean inquisitive, nosy?"
"No I don't." said Cherry.   "I don't mean that at all.   She was a very kind woman and she was always doing things for people.   And she was always quite sure she knew the best thing to do.   What they thought about it wouldn't have mattered."   (Chapter 6.i)
"Why?  Did she bully him?"
"Oh, no," said Miss Marple, "but I don't think that she--well, she wasn't a considerate woman.   Kind, yes.  Considerate, no.   She would be fond of him, and look after him when he was ill and see to his meals and be a good housekeeper, but I don't think she would ever--well, that she would ever even know what he might be feeling or thinking.   That makes rather a lonely life for a man."  (Chapter 8.ii)
"Well, frankly," said Mrs. Bantry, "I can't imagine anybody wanting to kill Heather Badcock. I've seen her quite a few times, on local things, you know. Girl Guides and the St. John Ambulance, and various parish things. I found her a rather trying sort of woman. Very enthusiastic about everything and a bit given to over-statement, and just a bit of a gusher. But you don't want to murder people for that. She was the kind of woman who in the old days if you'd seen her approaching the front door, you'd have hurried out to say to your parlourmaid -- which was an institution we had in those days, and very useful too -- and told her to say 'not at home' or 'not at home to visitors,' if she had conscientious scruples about the truth."
"You mean one might have taken pains to avoid Mrs. Badcock, but one would have no urge to remove her permanently." (Chapter 8.iii)
"Heather Badcock meant no harm.   She never did mean harm, but there is no doubt that people like Heather Badcock (and my old friend Alison Wilde) are capable of doing a lot of harm because they lack--not kindness, they have kindness--but any real consideration for the way their actions may affect other people.   She always thought of what an action meant to her, never sparing a thought for what it might mean to somebody else."  (Chapter 23.i)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451199898, Mass Market Paperback)

Movie star Marina Gregg stars in a real-life mystery when her biggest fan is poisoned. Scene stealer Miss Jane Marple suspects that the lethal cocktail was intended for someone else, and wonders who's next for a final fade-out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Celebrate Miss Marple's first 70 years of solving crimes with this new repackaged edition. Screen queen Marina Gregg takes up residence in the village of St. Mary Mead. When a fan is poisoned, Miss Marple suspects the lethal cocktail was intended for someone else. If it was meant for Marina, then why?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,724,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible