The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by…

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (original 1962; edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:120om
Title:The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha Christie (1962)

English (30)  French (2)  Indonesian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
Another brilliant Christie mystery. The why of the murder is not as cold-blooded as they normally are but it cold enough. One interesting thing about this novel is that Miss Marple is mostly house bound in it. She is getting over being very sick and has people taking care of her. So most of the information she is getting is second or third hand. In the end she goes to confront the killer herself but other than that she is outside looking in. I had no idea who the killer was until the revealing so it was surprising and the killer's reasoning was pitiful. This killer is one of the few who I really pitied. Because what drove the killer in life and to commit murder was very sad but it costs the killer so much in the end. Interesting look on blaming or hating others in the end just kills yourself.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars.
  lrainey | May 10, 2016 |
Miss Marple is really old in this book and shows all the tantrums of an old lady with the people who thinks her as an old lady.

Story is of Mary Mead goes to chaos when an actress comes there and a series of murders takes place. It was a good read and much better than of [b:4.50 from Paddington|1086365|4.50 from Paddington|Agatha Christie|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1328051347s/1086365.jpg|6490729].

PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
This was published as a book and in an anthology..... The story takes place in the same house as "The Body in the Library", but for some reason in the anthology this story is first....

Marina Gregg (manic-depressive movie star) and her husband Jason "Jinks" Rudd (famous director) purchase the old Victorian manor Gossington Hall from Dolly Bantry. On the other side of St. Mary Mead is a new "development" where lives Heather Badcock who once many years ago had snuck out of her sick bed to meet Marina Gregg and obtain Marina's autograph.....

Heather is beside herself w/ happiness when she finds out that Marina has moved back into town and is having an open house fete to meet & greet her new neighbors.... While Marina is greeting Heather, Heather recounts her story of the day she first met Marina... Marina freezes and we are told repeatedly she resembles Tennyson's Lady Shalott:

"Out flew the web and floated wide—
The mirror crack'd from side to side;
"The curse is come upon me", cried
The Lady of Shalott."

During the reception Marina & Heather are drinking daiquiris when Heather's drink is spilled... Marina kindly offers her drink to Heather and Heather succumbs to a poison that was in Marina's drink.

In the meantime Marina is besieged by threats and another attempt of poisoning..... There are two other murders, Marina's secretary & the Butler (who did not do it), and the disappearance of a young woman who was working the fete and saw what really happened.

The basis of this story is taken from a real life event: "Christie's inspiration for the motive likely came from an incident in the real-life of American film star Gene Tierney. In June 1943, while pregnant with her first daughter, Tierney contracted German measles during her only appearance at the Hollywood Canteen. Due to Tierney's illness, her daughter was born deaf, partially blind with cataracts, and severely developmentally disabled. Some time after the tragedy surrounding her daughter's birth, the actress learned from a fan who approached her for an autograph at a tennis party that the woman (who was then a member of the women's branch of the Marine Corps) had sneaked out of quarantine while sick with German measles to meet Tierney at her only Hollywood Canteen appearance. In her autobiography, Tierney related that after the woman had recounted her story, she just stared at her silently, then turned and walked away. She wrote, "After that I didn't care whether ever again I was anyone's favourite actress."[citation needed]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mirror_Crack'd ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This was a re-read and unfortunately I remembered who did it, which dimmed my enjoyment somewhat. Classic Miss Marple. ( )
  cazfrancis | Jul 21, 2015 |
I'm going back and rereading my old favourites. I own every Agatha Christie title (hard work done in used bookstores by my parents and I) and I think it will be fun to just pick one up every so often and read it. Most of the time I forget "who dun it". ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |

"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.
--Alfred Tennyson
To Margaret Rutherford in admiration
Miss Jane Marple was sitting by her window.
"Well, Alison always saw her own point of view so clearly that she didn't always see how things might appear to, or affect, other people." Chapter 2)
'I don't--didn't dislike her.   But she's just not my type.  Too interfering."
"You mean inquisitive, nosy?"
"No I don't." said Cherry.   "I don't mean that at all.   She was a very kind woman and she was always doing things for people.   And she was always quite sure she knew the best thing to do.   What they thought about it wouldn't have mattered."   (Chapter 6.i)
"Why?  Did she bully him?"
"Oh, no," said Miss Marple, "but I don't think that she--well, she wasn't a considerate woman.   Kind, yes.  Considerate, no.   She would be fond of him, and look after him when he was ill and see to his meals and be a good housekeeper, but I don't think she would ever--well, that she would ever even know what he might be feeling or thinking.   That makes rather a lonely life for a man."  (Chapter 8.ii)
"Well, frankly," said Mrs. Bantry, "I can't imagine anybody wanting to kill Heather Badcock. I've seen her quite a few times, on local things, you know. Girl Guides and the St. John Ambulance, and various parish things. I found her a rather trying sort of woman. Very enthusiastic about everything and a bit given to over-statement, and just a bit of a gusher. But you don't want to murder people for that. She was the kind of woman who in the old days if you'd seen her approaching the front door, you'd have hurried out to say to your parlourmaid -- which was an institution we had in those days, and very useful too -- and told her to say 'not at home' or 'not at home to visitors,' if she had conscientious scruples about the truth."
"You mean one might have taken pains to avoid Mrs. Badcock, but one would have no urge to remove her permanently." (Chapter 8.iii)
"Heather Badcock meant no harm.   She never did mean harm, but there is no doubt that people like Heather Badcock (and my old friend Alison Wilde) are capable of doing a lot of harm because they lack--not kindness, they have kindness--but any real consideration for the way their actions may affect other people.   She always thought of what an action meant to her, never sparing a thought for what it might mean to somebody else."  (Chapter 23.i)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451199898, Mass Market Paperback)

Movie star Marina Gregg stars in a real-life mystery when her biggest fan is poisoned. Scene stealer Miss Jane Marple suspects that the lethal cocktail was intended for someone else, and wonders who's next for a final fade-out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Celebrate Miss Marple's first 70 years of solving crimes with this new repackaged edition. Screen queen Marina Gregg takes up residence in the village of St. Mary Mead. When a fan is poisoned, Miss Marple suspects the lethal cocktail was intended for someone else. If it was meant for Marina, then why?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,895,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible