The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by…

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (original 1962; edition 2011)

by Agatha Christie

Member:120om
Title:The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha Christie (1962)

English (33)  French (2)  Indonesian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  English (39)
Absolutely fantastic book. The movie made of it unfortunately, as it seems to happen too often, didn't capture Mrs. Christie's story. A must read for Agatha Christie fans. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
Audiobook performed by Emilia Fox.

Miss Marple is showing her age and the doctor insists that she have a nursemaid/companion. But she’s really not so frail as people think, and she can still out-detect the most experienced Scotland Yard inspector. When a local woman is dies during a large charity event at an estate now owned by Hollywood actress Marina Gregg and her latest husband (is he # 4 or # 5?) authorities discover that the cocktail she drank was doctored. But who would want to kill Mrs Badcock? It appears this was a terrible accident, but that the lethal dose was meant for Marina Gregg.

Christie really kept me guessing on this one. There are plenty of suspects, and lots of red herrings. Miss Marple is at her best in using her knowledge of human behavior and deducing the truth. I did pick up on that final clue, but was at a loss right up to that. I also really enjoyed the subplot of Miss Marple’s need for a companion.

Emilia Fox did a superb job narrating the audiobook. She was able to give the many characters unique voices, although her deep, gravelly voice for some of the male characters was a little over-the-top. ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 8, 2016 |
The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side - has always been one of my favourite Marple stories because in this one the background is rather sad and the murder is fuelled by somewhat different motivations than most other Christie mysteries.

It's even more impressive to think that the story was partly inspired by a true story Gene Tierney's biography ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Another brilliant Christie mystery. The why of the murder is not as cold-blooded as they normally are but it cold enough. One interesting thing about this novel is that Miss Marple is mostly house bound in it. She is getting over being very sick and has people taking care of her. So most of the information she is getting is second or third hand. In the end she goes to confront the killer herself but other than that she is outside looking in. I had no idea who the killer was until the revealing so it was surprising and the killer's reasoning was pitiful. This killer is one of the few who I really pitied. Because what drove the killer in life and to commit murder was very sad but it costs the killer so much in the end. Interesting look on blaming or hating others in the end just kills yourself.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars.
  lrainey | May 10, 2016 |
Miss Marple is really old in this book and shows all the tantrums of an old lady with the people who thinks her as an old lady.

Story is of Mary Mead goes to chaos when an actress comes there and a series of murders takes place. It was a good read and much better than of [b:4.50 from Paddington|1086365|4.50 from Paddington|Agatha Christie|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1328051347s/1086365.jpg|6490729].

PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |

"The curse is come upon me," cried
The Lady of Shalott.
--Alfred Tennyson
To Margaret Rutherford in admiration
Miss Jane Marple was sitting by her window.
"Well, Alison always saw her own point of view so clearly that she didn't always see how things might appear to, or affect, other people." Chapter 2)
'I don't--didn't dislike her.   But she's just not my type.  Too interfering."
"You mean inquisitive, nosy?"
"No I don't." said Cherry.   "I don't mean that at all.   She was a very kind woman and she was always doing things for people.   And she was always quite sure she knew the best thing to do.   What they thought about it wouldn't have mattered."   (Chapter 6.i)
"Why?  Did she bully him?"
"Oh, no," said Miss Marple, "but I don't think that she--well, she wasn't a considerate woman.   Kind, yes.  Considerate, no.   She would be fond of him, and look after him when he was ill and see to his meals and be a good housekeeper, but I don't think she would ever--well, that she would ever even know what he might be feeling or thinking.   That makes rather a lonely life for a man."  (Chapter 8.ii)
"Well, frankly," said Mrs. Bantry, "I can't imagine anybody wanting to kill Heather Badcock. I've seen her quite a few times, on local things, you know. Girl Guides and the St. John Ambulance, and various parish things. I found her a rather trying sort of woman. Very enthusiastic about everything and a bit given to over-statement, and just a bit of a gusher. But you don't want to murder people for that. She was the kind of woman who in the old days if you'd seen her approaching the front door, you'd have hurried out to say to your parlourmaid -- which was an institution we had in those days, and very useful too -- and told her to say 'not at home' or 'not at home to visitors,' if she had conscientious scruples about the truth."
"You mean one might have taken pains to avoid Mrs. Badcock, but one would have no urge to remove her permanently." (Chapter 8.iii)
"Heather Badcock meant no harm.   She never did mean harm, but there is no doubt that people like Heather Badcock (and my old friend Alison Wilde) are capable of doing a lot of harm because they lack--not kindness, they have kindness--but any real consideration for the way their actions may affect other people.   She always thought of what an action meant to her, never sparing a thought for what it might mean to somebody else."  (Chapter 23.i)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451199898, Mass Market Paperback)

Movie star Marina Gregg stars in a real-life mystery when her biggest fan is poisoned. Scene stealer Miss Jane Marple suspects that the lethal cocktail was intended for someone else, and wonders who's next for a final fade-out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

Celebrate Miss Marple's first 70 years of solving crimes with this new repackaged edition. Screen queen Marina Gregg takes up residence in the village of St. Mary Mead. When a fan is poisoned, Miss Marple suspects the lethal cocktail was intended for someone else. If it was meant for Marina, then why?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,635,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible