The Head of Kay's by P. G. Wodehouse

The Head of Kay's (original 1905; edition 2010)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Member:Laura_lita
Title:The Head of Kay's
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:General Books LLC (2010), Paperback, 84 pages
Collections:eBooks, To read

The Head of Kay's by P. G. Wodehouse (1905)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All (7)
The first Wodehouse book I've read - was delighted to see that he'd written some school stories, as I'm a bit of a sucker for them. Enjoyed it. Love his occasional asides to the reader. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
The backdrop for this school story features Kay, a bad house master, and Blackburn, a good house master. Fenn is the head of house for Kay, and Johnny Silver for Blackburn. Kennedy is a good friend of Silver's and is enjoying life at Blackburn's, while Fenn is having rather a miserable time at Kay's. Returning from holidays, Kennedy gets a shock when Silver tells him that he no longer a Blackburnite, but has replaced the demoted Kennedy as head of house for Kay. Lots of hurt feelings and misunderstandings ensue, along with various scrapes with minor characters and, naturally, lots of sports. ( )
  charliesierra | Nov 10, 2014 |
Another of Wodehouse's early "school" stories set at what the U.S, would call a "prep" school --in this case a boy is made head boy of a very unpopular house where te master and other boys are hjostile and he struggles to improve its very low reputation. ( )
  antiquary | Aug 23, 2014 |
Set around the time of its 1905 publication, “The Head of the Kay’s” is another of P. G. Wodehouse’s school stories.

Eckleton is the name of the all-boys’ establishment. Mr Kay is master of one house and is unpopular. He is unhappy with his head boy, Fenn, and arranges for Kennedy – of Blackburn's house – to come and take over as head prefect. Thus there’s a rivalry between Fenn and Kennedy whilst other members of Kay’s also cause trouble for the new arrival.

Thankfully Wodehouse didn’t spend his career on this type of story, otherwise it’s doubtful he’d ever become as famous as he did – if at all. The other school stories that I’ve read range from below average to average, but this is his worst book out of all that I’ve read of his so far.

The plot is simple to non-existent, featuring few surprises. The characters are dull, samey, and all male. Wodehouse became good at creating love interests. I miss the witty and beautiful female character(s) included in later books, plus the haughtier interfering women he portrays so well. Even the humour he is famed for is scarce in this novel. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jun 24, 2014 |
  AJBraithwaite | Dec 25, 2010 |
"When we get licked tomorrow by half-a-dozen wickets," said Jimmy Silver, tilting his chair until the back touched the wall, "don't say I didn't warn you.
There is no reason to suppose that Mr. Kay did not mean well. But there is no doubt that he was extremely fussy. And fussiness -- with the possible exception of homicidal mania and a taste for arson -- is quite the worst characteristic it is possible for a house-master to possess.
They were the sort of persons who felt a vague sense of injury when anybody looks at them, perhaps because they feel that those whose attention is attracted to them must say something to their discredit when they begin to talk about them.
Practical jokers are seldom popular until they have been dead a hundred years or so.

24 stories make up this collection. 1. Mainly About Fenn, 2. An Evening at KAy's, 3. The Final House-Match, 4. Harmony and Discord, 5. Camp, 6. The Raid On the Guard-Tent, 7. A Clue, 8. A Night Adventure - The Dethronement of Fenn, 9. The Sensations of an Exile, 10. Further Experiences of an Exile, 11. The Senior Dayroom Opens Fire, 12. Kennedy Interviews Walton, 13. The Fight in the Dormitory, 14. Fenn Receives a Letter, 15. Down Town, 16. What Happened to Fenn, 17. Fenn Hunts for Himself, 18. A Vain Quest, 19. The Guile of Wren, 20. Jimmy the Peacemaker, 21. In Which an Episode is Closed, 22. Kay's Changes It's Name, 23. The House-Matches, 24. The Sports

"When we get licked tomorrow by half-a-dozen wickets," said Jimmy Silver, lilting his chair until the back touched the wall, "don't say I didn't warn you. If you fellows take down what I say from time to time in notebooks, as you ought to do, you'll remember that I offered to give anyone odds that Kay's would out us in the final. I always said that a really hot man like Fenn was more good to a side than half-a-dozen ordinary men. He can do all the bowling and all the batting. All the fielding, too, in the slips." Silver was head of the house, and captain of its cricket team, which was nearing the end of its last match, the final for the inter-house cup, and -- on paper -- getting decidedly the worst of it. After riding in triumph over the School House, Bedell's, and Mulholland's, Blackburn's had met its next door neighbor, Kay's, in the final, and, to the surprise of the great majority of the school, was showing up badly. The match was affording one more example of how a team of average merit all through may sometimes fall before a one-man side. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

30 wanted3 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,931,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible