The Tuesday Club Murders by Agatha Christie

The Tuesday Club Murders (original 1932; edition 1933)

by Agatha Christie

Member:jayacarl
Title:The Tuesday Club Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1933.
Collections:Your library, Audio books

The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie (1932)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (38)
This is the second book in the Miss Marple series and it takes on a bit of a different format. The premise is that every week, a group of friends including an author, a clergyman, an artist, an actress, a doctor, a solicitor, a retired police commissioner and a Colonel and his wife, and of course, Miss Marple herself, meet up and discuss mysteries and crimes which they have come across in their lives. They each know how their own stories turn out but the challenge is for the others to guess the truth. Naturally, and despite their initial dismissal of Miss Marple as a naive old lady who has led a sheltered life, it is she who works out all the mysteries before anyone else is able to do so.

The format deviates in the last story of the book, where Miss Marple requests the assistance of the former police commissioner to uncover a murder and stop a miscarriage of justice.

I’m not generally a huge fan of short stories but I did enjoy this collection. My favourites were probably The Blue Geranium, The Bloodstained Pavement and The Companion. Each story shows off Christie’s talent for plotting, red herrings and drop feeding clues, and the reader is shown more of Miss Marple’s quick and clever mind. I didn’t feel that we really got to know the rest of the characters in any great fashion – they were all painted with very broad brush strokes – but these stories are far more about the mysteries than the narrators.

Overall, a very enjoyable and easy reading collection. I look forward to continuing my quest to read through the books of Agatha Christie. ( )
1 vote Ruth72 | May 23, 2017 |
Agatha Christie was another of the authors I frequently book-swapped with book-bestie Rachel. Our moms owned the books and traded them between each other, and Rachel and I faithfully mirrored them. It was adorable, really, to be sure. I can no longer recall all the Agatha Christie that I read because I was eleven and titles didn't stick the way that they do now, but suffice to say she lingers in my mind as a Great. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Thirteen Problems is mostly a series of mysteries presented to a group of people, but all solved by Miss Marple. The first, The Tuesday Night Club, brings a description of the always erect and correct Miss Marple (a first, at least for me): “Miss Marple wore a black brocade dress, very much pinched in round the waist. Mechlin lace was arranged in a cascade down the front of the bodice. She had on black lace mittens, and a black lace cap surmounted the piled-up masses of her showy hair. She was knitting—something white and soft and fleecy.” Her eyes are described as “faded blue.” Miss Marple would certainly not enjoy our politically correct age; in A Christmas Tragedy she stated: “I’ve no patience with modern humanitarian scruples about capital punishments.” (Neither do I!) In the same story she gives some great advice from which modern women would greatly benefit: “I remember my dear mother teaching me that a gentlewoman should always be able to control herself in public, however much she may give way in private.” The coup the grace comes in The Thumb Mark of Saint Peter: “[…] you modern young people will laugh, but when I am in really bad trouble I always say a little prayer to myself—anywhere, when I am walking along the street, or at a bazaar. And I always get an answer.” Good girl! Every time I get one of Mrs. Christie’s books I am sure to enjoy; this one was definitely no exception. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
Thirteen stories told in a circle of friends and neighbours, and amidst them Miss Marple. I can hardly think of a better setting and a more elegant way to connect a series of short stories.

The stories themselves are just what you expect from Christie: full of suspense, red herrings and Miss Marple's insights into human nature.

Although I prefer the novels to the short stories, The Thirteen Problems makes for a cozy read - as long as you don't expect them to be extraordinary or memorable. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
I love Agatha Christie, but Miss Marple is my least favorite Christie detective. So having 13 stories starring Miss Marple is not my favorite read. However, Christie can write interesting plots. So I was still intrigued by her stories. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickson, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malling, LivTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Leonard and Katharine Woolley
'Unsolved mysteries.' (The Tuesday Night Club)
The Thirteen Problems has also been published as Miss Marple and the Thirteen Problems and The Tuesday Club Murders
BUT Thirteen Clues has different text from the Problems/Tuesday

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200209, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Marple puts her deductive skills to use in thirteen of her most fiendish cases in this short story collection from the reigning matriarch of mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:17 -0400)

One Tuesday evening a group gathers at Miss Marple's House and the conversation turns to unsolved crimes. The case of the disappearing bloodstains; the thief who committed his crime twice over; the message on the death-bed of a poisoned man which read 'heap of fish'; the strange case of the invisible will; a spiritualist who warned that 'Blue Geranium' meant death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,318,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible