The Tuesday Club Murders by Agatha Christie

The Tuesday Club Murders (original 1932; edition 1933)

by Agatha Christie

Member:jayacarl
Title:The Tuesday Club Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1933.
Collections:Your library, Audio books

The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie (1932)

Recently added byLitaVore, private library, Skittles629, 4004lab

English (35)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All (37)
Agatha Christie was another of the authors I frequently book-swapped with book-bestie Rachel. Our moms owned the books and traded them between each other, and Rachel and I faithfully mirrored them. It was adorable, really, to be sure. I can no longer recall all the Agatha Christie that I read because I was eleven and titles didn't stick the way that they do now, but suffice to say she lingers in my mind as a Great. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Thirteen Problems is mostly a series of mysteries presented to a group of people, but all solved by Miss Marple. The first, The Tuesday Night Club, brings a description of the always erect and correct Miss Marple (a first, at least for me): “Miss Marple wore a black brocade dress, very much pinched in round the waist. Mechlin lace was arranged in a cascade down the front of the bodice. She had on black lace mittens, and a black lace cap surmounted the piled-up masses of her showy hair. She was knitting—something white and soft and fleecy.” Her eyes are described as “faded blue.” Miss Marple would certainly not enjoy our politically correct age; in A Christmas Tragedy she stated: “I’ve no patience with modern humanitarian scruples about capital punishments.” (Neither do I!) In the same story she gives some great advice from which modern women would greatly benefit: “I remember my dear mother teaching me that a gentlewoman should always be able to control herself in public, however much she may give way in private.” The coup the grace comes in The Thumb Mark of Saint Peter: “[…] you modern young people will laugh, but when I am in really bad trouble I always say a little prayer to myself—anywhere, when I am walking along the street, or at a bazaar. And I always get an answer.” Good girl! Every time I get one of Mrs. Christie’s books I am sure to enjoy; this one was definitely no exception. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
Thirteen stories told in a circle of friends and neighbours, and amidst them Miss Marple. I can hardly think of a better setting and a more elegant way to connect a series of short stories.

The stories themselves are just what you expect from Christie: full of suspense, red herrings and Miss Marple's insights into human nature.

Although I prefer the novels to the short stories, The Thirteen Problems makes for a cozy read - as long as you don't expect them to be extraordinary or memorable. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
I love Agatha Christie, but Miss Marple is my least favorite Christie detective. So having 13 stories starring Miss Marple is not my favorite read. However, Christie can write interesting plots. So I was still intrigued by her stories. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
The Tuesday Club Murders – A.Christie
4 stars
Performed by Joan Hickson

Also published as The Thirteen Problems, this is a collection of short stories featuring Miss Marple. A group of friends propose to relate a series of mysteries for the others to solve. Naturally, it is Miss Marple who solves each and every puzzle. The stories are vintage Agatha Christie; very quick and very entertaining. The bloodshed and violence are sufficiently distant to allow the Tuesday Club and the reader to regard the stories as a completely intellectual exercise.
I loved Joan Hickson when she portrayed Miss Marple in the BBC productions, but she does have a bit of a lisp. There were times when I found this audio production difficult to understand. Miss Hickson has the perfect Miss Marple voice, but she was less successful with some of the male characters.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hickson, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malling, LivTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Leonard and Katharine Woolley
'Unsolved mysteries.' (The Tuesday Night Club)
The Thirteen Problems has also been published as Miss Marple and the Thirteen Problems and The Tuesday Club Murders
BUT Thirteen Clues has different text from the Problems/Tuesday

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200209, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Marple puts her deductive skills to use in thirteen of her most fiendish cases in this short story collection from the reigning matriarch of mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:17 -0400)

One Tuesday evening a group gathers at Miss Marple's House and the conversation turns to unsolved crimes. The case of the disappearing bloodstains; the thief who committed his crime twice over; the message on the death-bed of a poisoned man which read 'heap of fish'; the strange case of the invisible will; a spiritualist who warned that 'Blue Geranium' meant death.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,904,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible