The Woman in White (Penguin Classics) by…

The Woman in White (Penguin Classics) (original 1860; edition 2003)

by Wilkie Collins

8,739258346 (4.09)7 / 1100
Title:The Woman in White (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Wilkie Collins
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Edition: Reissue, Paperback

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (1860)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (starfishian)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Cecilturtle)
    The Yellow Wall-Paper {story} by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (wonderlake)
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Both novels take place in Victorian England. They have convoluted plots, many surprises and a whiff of the occult. Although Freedom and Necessity was not a Victorian novel, it reads like one, complementing the style of Collins.
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (joririchardson, Hollerama)
    The Seance by John Harwood (bibliobeck, simon_carr)
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (wonderlake, teelgee)
    teelgee: Definitely see where Sarah Waters got her inspiration!
    Uncle Silas: A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (rretzler)
    The Suspicions of Mr Whicher or The Murder at Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Victorian crime
    The House of Ulloa by Emilia Pardo Bazán (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Spanish *gothic* from about the same time period.
    The Truth about the Savolta Case by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores, caflores)
    The Count of Monte Cristo, Vol. 2 by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
Ghosts (31)

English (248)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (258)
Honestly, at 59 years old having read many thousands of books in my lifetime, this is now in my Top 10 of all time. This old classic written in 1860 is an outstanding example of a Victorian Dickensian-style old fashioned yarn with wonderful in-depth characters and a superb plot that offers many twists, turns, and surprises you never see coming! I loved all 534 pages of it and when it ended I wanted more! You will love all the characters both good and bad due to Collins' ability to masterfully create personalities so well. The book is truly an exceptional piece of turn-of-the- century literature for all ages to enjoy! I have a wonderful decorative slipcased illustrated edition published by the Limited Editions Club in 1964 which made it more enjoyable due to the illustrations portraying various scenes played out throughout the story. I plan now to eagerly dive into the author's other famous classic "The Moonstone". Here's to Victorian Literature, I do love them so! ( )
  vernefan | Sep 14, 2016 |
This is so "The Bourne Identity: Victorian edition"! I absolutely loved this book. It was enjoyable from the start till the end. There's not much more I can really say without revealing something (it's really a pretty intricate story), but please, JUST READ IT. Nothing more needed to say here. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
Love the simplicity of the old mystery/romance books- ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Very good story. I do wish I could have sat down and just plowed thru the book,it was that good. Very interesting plot twists and reveals. You finish reading feeling exhausted and exhilarated at the same time! I normally give a book 50 pages, I would recommend giving this book 100 pages just in case.The last 200 pages were page turners! I will be reading The Moonstone.Excellent story,Mr. Collins is an exceptional writer.have some tea and scones while reading this one!Enjoy. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
I do not often write written reviews for books unless I have very strong impressions or feelings about the story, however I usually rate them upon completion. In my humble opinion, The Woman in White definitely deserves four stars, especially given the time period it was written in (1859-60) and the arrangement of the separate narratives.

Given the title, I was initially expecting a frightening tale. Yet, the majority of the story focused on a central "secret" with other mysteries attached to it, which were revealed little by little. The twists and turns often were more psychological and insidious in nature, rather than scary. As in all books over 400 pages, it likely could have used some editing, but that is partly my perspective due to my occasional impatience with reading a novel of that length.
  Lisa805 | Jul 23, 2016 |

Sweet, MatthewEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symons, JulienEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, ChristineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, GabrielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve.
The soft hazy twilight was just shading leaf and blossom alike into harmony with its own sober hues as we entered the room, and the sweet evening scent of the flowers met us with its fragrant welcome through the open glass doors.
There are three things that none of the young men of the present generation can do. They can't sit over their wine, they can't play at whist, and they can't pay a lady a compliment.

When Walter Hartwright encounters a solitary, terrified, beautiful woman dressed in white on a moonlit night in London, he feels impelled to solve the mystery of her distress. The story, full of secrets, locked rooms, lost memories, and surprise revelations, features heroine Marian Halcombe and drawing-master Walter Hartright as sleuthing partners pitted against the diabolical Count Fosco and Sir Percival Glyde. This gothic psychological thriller, a mesmerizing tale of murder, intrigue, madness, and mistaken identity, has gripped the imagination of readers since its first publication in 1860. The breathtaking tension of Collins's narrative created a new literary genre of suspense fiction, which profoundly shaped the course of English popular writing.
Identity theft,
money, madness, hidden crimes –
a Collins classic.
(passion4reading – thank you, wisewoman)
The Woman in White.
Count Fosco controls it all,
but Marian wins!

Generally considered the first English sensation novel, The Woman in White features the remarkable heroine Marian Halcombe and her sleuthing partner, drawing master Walter Hartright, pitted against the diabolical team of Count Fosco and Sir Percival Glyde. A gripping tale of murder, intrigue, madness, and mistaken identity, Collins's psychological thriller has never been out of print in the 140 years since its publication.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

When Walter Hartright has a mysterious moonlit encounter with a woman dressed all in white, his world changes forever.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439610, 0141389435

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,703,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible