The Woman in White (Penguin Classics) by…

The Woman in White (Penguin Classics) (original 1860; edition 2003)

by Wilkie Collins

8,790264344 (4.08)7 / 1108
Member:notmyrealname
Title:The Woman in White (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Wilkie Collins
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Edition: Reissue, Paperback
Rating:*****

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (1860)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (starfishian)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Cecilturtle)
    The Yellow Wall-Paper {story} by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (wonderlake)
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Both novels take place in Victorian England. They have convoluted plots, many surprises and a whiff of the occult. Although Freedom and Necessity was not a Victorian novel, it reads like one, complementing the style of Collins.
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (joririchardson, Hollerama)
    The Seance by John Harwood (bibliobeck, simon_carr)
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (wonderlake, teelgee)
    teelgee: Definitely see where Sarah Waters got her inspiration!
    Uncle Silas: A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (rretzler)
    The Suspicions of Mr Whicher or The Murder at Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Victorian crime
    The House of Ulloa by Emilia Pardo Bazán (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Spanish *gothic* from about the same time period.
    The Truth about the Savolta Case by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores, caflores)
    The Count of Monte Cristo, Vol. 2 by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
Ghosts (31)

English (254)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (264)
slow, too many narratives added by various characters, wretched life for women in that era ( )
  Annette_Keith | Nov 23, 2016 |
My rating of this classic Victorian mystery novel varied as I slogged through it. The first 50 pages seemed excruciatingly slow and mawkishly written, even by Victorian standards. But my interest revved up as the story proceeded and most of the way I was eagerly turning the pages, extremely engaged and empathizing with the characters, especially the "most interesting" Miss Halcombe (I confess a profound weakness for intelligent and selfless women.)

The last fifth of the novel seem anticlimactic though, with a deus ex machina plot solution that seemed an overgenerous gift of the storyteller to his beleaguered characters.

On page 400 or so I probably would have given this 4 or even 5 stars, but because of these weaknesses, on sum I give it 3. ( )
1 vote JackMassa | Nov 23, 2016 |
I love mysteries and why it took me so long to read this classic is my mistake. The twists and turns in this 19th century mystery are many. As a 21st century woman I struggled with the concept of how little control women had over their lives and financial security. Wilkie is adept at weaving the concept of men controlling women’s lives adeptly into this mystery. ( )
  brangwinn | Nov 14, 2016 |
So much fun! I've read scads of Dickens but this was my first Wilkie Collins. He isn't the writer that Dickens is but so entertaining. I will have to pick up The Moonstone now. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
4.5 stars for this audiobook edition but 4 stars for the book itself. I especially liked the fact that the different narratives were narrated by different people!

I am glad that I decided to revisit this classic (read previously in 2012). While I remembered some important plot points, I found that I had completely forgotten both Anne Catherick's secret and the ending re: Count Fosco! However, in this reread my feeling of annoyance with Laura Fairlie was increased -- in particular, her stupidity in not calling off her engagement when the opportunity was offered bothered me. And am I alone in feeling that perhaps Marian was also in love with Walter Hartright? ( )
  leslie.98 | Nov 5, 2016 |

Sweet, MatthewEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Symons, JulienEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, ChristineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woolf, GabrielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the story of what a Woman's patience can endure, and what a Man's resolution can achieve.
The soft hazy twilight was just shading leaf and blossom alike into harmony with its own sober hues as we entered the room, and the sweet evening scent of the flowers met us with its fragrant welcome through the open glass doors.
There are three things that none of the young men of the present generation can do. They can't sit over their wine, they can't play at whist, and they can't pay a lady a compliment.

When Walter Hartwright encounters a solitary, terrified, beautiful woman dressed in white on a moonlit night in London, he feels impelled to solve the mystery of her distress. The story, full of secrets, locked rooms, lost memories, and surprise revelations, features heroine Marian Halcombe and drawing-master Walter Hartright as sleuthing partners pitted against the diabolical Count Fosco and Sir Percival Glyde. This gothic psychological thriller, a mesmerizing tale of murder, intrigue, madness, and mistaken identity, has gripped the imagination of readers since its first publication in 1860. The breathtaking tension of Collins's narrative created a new literary genre of suspense fiction, which profoundly shaped the course of English popular writing.
Identity theft,
money, madness, hidden crimes –
a Collins classic.
(passion4reading – thank you, wisewoman)
The Woman in White.
Count Fosco controls it all,
but Marian wins!
(rretzler)

Generally considered the first English sensation novel, The Woman in White features the remarkable heroine Marian Halcombe and her sleuthing partner, drawing master Walter Hartright, pitted against the diabolical team of Count Fosco and Sir Percival Glyde. A gripping tale of murder, intrigue, madness, and mistaken identity, Collins's psychological thriller has never been out of print in the 140 years since its publication.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

When Walter Hartright has a mysterious moonlit encounter with a woman dressed all in white, his world changes forever.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439610, 0141389435

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,793,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible