Silence : the power of quiet in a world full…

Silence : the power of quiet in a world full of noise (original 1997; edition 2015)

by Thích Nhất Hạnh

The Zen master and one of the world's most beloved teachers returns with a concise, practical guide to understanding and developing our most powerful inner resource--silence--to help us find happiness, purpose, and peace. Many people embark on a seemingly futile search for happiness, running as if there is somewhere else to get to, when the world they live in is full of wonder. To be alive is a miracle. Beauty calls to us every day, yet we rarely are in the position to listen. To hear the call of beauty and respond to it, we need silence. Silence shows us how to find and maintain our equanimity amid the barrage of noise. Thich Nhat Hanh guides us on a path to cultivate calm even in the most chaotic places. This gift of silence doesn't require hours upon hours of silent meditation or an existing practice of any kind. Through careful breathing and mindfulness techniques he teaches us how to become truly present in the moment, to recognize the beauty surrounding us, and to find harmony. With mindfulness comes stillness--and the silence we need to come back to ourselves and discover who we are and what we truly want, the keys to happiness and well-being.… (more)
Member:jpmuzzall
Title:Silence : the power of quiet in a world full of noise
Authors:Thích Nhất Hạnh
Info:New York, New York : HarperOne, [2015]
Collections:Read in 2018

Silence: The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise by Thích Nhất Hạnh (1997)

English (5)  French (1)  All languages (6)
There are a few insightful stories here, including some context on Thich Quang Duc, the monk who poured gasoline on himself and sat in lotus position in perfect stillness while he burned to death. The book was both boring and fascinating for me. ( )
  jasoncomely | Dec 3, 2019 |
This is an absolutely brilliant book. I would go so far as to say that not one word is superfluous.

This is an essential book for modern living and, is especially relevant in todays times, which are full of noise and chaos.

Having and treasuring those moments of silence is very important for clear thinking, building relationships, having a calmer disposition.

Very simple to read. Extremely relevant, as I have said. The lessons are timeless. ( )
  RajivC | Sep 17, 2017 |
The "silence" is both internal and external. Mindfulness as a remedy to "Radio NST" -- Non-Stop Thinking. A powerful reminder of the need for quiet and meditation throughout the day. ( )
  bodhisattva | Feb 26, 2017 |
Thich Nhat Hanh's Silence is subtitled The Power of Quiet in a World Full of Noise. Just reading this book reminded me of the importance of taking time to sit in silence and stillness, and so I did. ( )
  debnance | Dec 21, 2015 |
Hanh guides us on a path to cultivate the calm within ourselves to experience the profound power of quiet amid our noisy everyday lives. It is about the wisdom and practice of mindfulness and its connection to silence. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Sep 4, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible