Final exit : the practicalities of…

Final exit : the practicalities of self-deliverance and assisted suicide… (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Derek Humphry

Member:uufnn
Title:Final exit : the practicalities of self-deliverance and assisted suicide for the dying
Authors:Derek Humphry
Info:[Eugene, Or.] : Secaucus, N.J. : Hemlock Society ; Distributed to the book trade and libraries by Carol Pub., [1991]
Tags:Assisted suicide

Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide for the Dying by Derek Humphry (1991)

The practicalities of self-deliverance and assisted suicide for the dying
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Derek Humphry certainly had the best of intentions when he wrote this book, and he also knew what he was talking about, having assisted in the suicides of both his wife and his father-in-law. I have to say, I whole-heartedly agree with the sentiment that it’s sometimes more humane to end life than to unnecessarily prolong it if a person is suffering, and it’s a shame that radical Christianity has made that illegal in this country. I liked how Humphry explains everything from practical considerations to the correct lethal dosages with various kinds of pills. I do think that he focuses a little too much on his preferred solution, pills (with trashbag assist), when to get those pills in the quantities required one would have to find a sympathetic doctor willing to risk his license. I’m not sure if the book is dated at this point now that it’s 25 years old, and his writing style is certainly not going to win any awards. It would be interesting to see this book updated and perhaps broadened, but I have to hand it to people like Humphry and Dr. Jack Kevorkian - they were pioneers in a movement that I have to believe will ultimately succeed, making this time in history, when we artificially keep people alive so that they can suffer great pain because we don’t want to “play God”, appear like the Dark Ages to future generations. ( )
3 vote gbill | Dec 22, 2016 |
This was a gift from a dying friend. It is the self help book to end of life dying and choices. I agree with other comments, grim but required reading.I thought this book had stopped publishing in late 90's. Will have to get an updated copy. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Somewhat dated (1991), but good overview of the assisted suicide movement. Begins with why people would justifiably choose to end their life & the political history in the US, moves into how to request assistance from a doctor, and ends with some prescription methods. Humphry stresses involvement of family or friends (the belief that one should not die alone) and gives suggestions for preventing legal liability because of one's presence. The book is written with an eye to the author's own liability & reiterates that he does not advocate this option for other than terminal illness, tho he does recognize the grey area of people who have progressive dementia & wish to end their life before they are unable to make any choice. He does not give non-prescription drug advice because he does not want to promote suicide in other cases.
Has index, recommended reading, & description of The Hemlock Society (which no longer exists as a national org, according to wikipedia, tho state groups exist, and a org website using the name of this book exists as well as one called comapssionandchoices). ( )
  juniperSun | May 7, 2015 |
The founder of the Hemlock Society, which was dedicated to helping terminally-ill patients find a decent way to end their lives if they so chose, presents a compassionate and clear overview of the legal and medical issues facing patients, caregivers, and medical personnel. He also briefly discusses various means of suicide and euthanasia and dispels many myths about what works well and what doesn't. The book is somewhat repetitive and fairly simple to read, possibly in response to the needs of the expected user, who would likely be suffering both physically and emotionally. Certainly a one-of-a-kind book, with wide-ranging appeal in a culture in which the dying have so few options for a dignified, quick and painless end. ( )
1 vote auntmarge64 | May 26, 2011 |
Darkling I listen; and for many a time
I have been half in love with easeful death,
Called him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath;
Now more than ever seems it rich to die,
To cease upon the midnight with no pain...
—John Keats
1795-1921
Dedicated to the memories of
Emily Gilbert, Janaet Adkins and Virginia Harper
Forward
My mother had ovarian cancer and she was dying—in her view, not fast enough. On a day I'll never forget I visited her and she made her wishes clear: "I've had a wonderful life, but now it's over, or it should be. I'm not afraid to die, but I am afraid of this illness, what it's doing to me . . . . There's never any relief from it now. Nothing but nausea and this pain . . . . There won't be any more chemotherapy. There's no treatment anymore. So what happens to me now? I know what happens. I'll die slowly . . . . I don't want that . . . . Who does it benefit if I die slowly? If it benefits my children I'd be willing. But it's not going to do you any good. It's not going to do Ed (my husband) any good. There's no point in a slow death, none. I've never liked doing things with no point. I've got to end this."
Introduction
When my first wife could no longer bear the pain and deterioration of her body and the distressed quality of her life from cancer, she asked me to help her end her life. It was both a logical and a poignant request.
Chapter One
The Most Difficult Decision
This is the scenario: you are terminally ill, all medical treatments acceptable to you have been exhausted, and the suffering in its different forms is unbearable. Because the illness is so serious, you recognize that your life is drawing to a close. Euthanasia comes to mind as a way of release.

The phenomenal #1 New York Times bestseller that has the world talking--a practical guide for the terminally ill to dying with dignity through assisted suicide. Finally available in paperback, this considerate book is for mature adults who are considering the option of ending their lives because of unbearable pain or terminal illness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:39 -0400)

Gives guidance to those supporting the option of suicide or assisted suicide when terminally ill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,127,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible