Make Me by Lee Child

Make Me

by Lee Child

English (56)  Piratical (1)  All (57)
Number 20 in the Jack Reacher series (have only read one previously). Like Reacher, I kept wondering what was going on. What this little town called Mother's Rest was hiding that was bad enough for one ex-FBI agent to be missing (presumed murdered) and others in the town to try and eliminate both him and Chang, another ex-FBI agent trying to uncover what the missing man was working on. Assisted suicide, illegal yes, but profitable enough to finance the whole complex set-up and its underground connections? No. The story started when Reacher, curious about the name origin of a small town called Mother's Rest, disembarks there from a train and is mistaken for Chang's partner. He soon discovers himself and Chang under surveillance and immersed in trouble, which is when his vigilante nature takes over. And when the horrific truth is uncovered near the end of the book, I am truly horrified. Didn't see that one coming. Great read, a real thriller. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Dec 31, 2017 |
A Good thriller story- worth reading ( )
  dima0o0 | Dec 19, 2017 |
SWEDISH REVIEW

Jag hade bara läst den första boken i Jack Reacher serien innan jag läste denna. Men, jag hade inga problem att läsa Tvinga mig som är bok 20 trots att jag har missat att läsa de 18 tidigare släppta böckerna. Det var lätt att komma in i handlingen som både var spännande och fascinerande.Vad jag verkligen gillar är det slumpmässiga beslutet från Reachers sida att kliva av tåget i Mother's Rest som blev startskottet för en undersökning av vad staden, eller rättare sagt vad människorna i staden döljer...

Jag gillar småstadsmiljöer i böcker och denna bok lyckades verkligen få till liten-stad-med-en-mystisk-hemlighet-temat ordentligt. Berättelsen är intressant och fängslande att läsa med lite humor här och där och ett slut jag inte förväntade mig. Boken behöll min intresse rakt igenom och jag undrar varför jag inte fortsatte läsa serien efter att ha läst första boken, speciellt med tanke på att flera medlemmar i min familj gillar serien.

Denna recension är lite svår att skriva då jag inte vill avslöja något av handlingen. Dock tror jag att även de som inte har läst en Lee Child book, men som gillar mysterieböcker kommer att gilla denna bok!

Tack till Massolit Förlag för recensionsexemplaret!

ENGLISH REVIEW

I had only read the first book in the Jack Reacher series before I read this one. But, reading this one book, 20 in the series was not a problem, despite that, I haven't read the previous 18 books. Instead, I found the book to be easy to get into and the story fascinating and thrilling. What I especially like is how a random decision from Recher side to get off the train in Mother's Rest will start off an investigation about what the town, or rather the people in the town are hiding...

I liked small town settings and this book really nailed the mystery down theme. It's a very interesting an engrossing book to read with some humorous part and an ending I didn't suspect. The book kept my interest all the way through and I wonder why I did not keep on reading the series after reading the first book, especially since members of my family loves the series.

This is the kind of review that is hard to write because I don't want to give away the story. But, I think even those that haven't read a Lee Child book, but like a good mystery novel will like this book.

Thanks to Massolit Förlag for the review copy! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
This book was my return to Lee Child after over a decade. Its great to see that the formula is still the same, the plot fascinating and the twist unpredictable for me. A gripping exciting and well written read. ( )
  bevok | Jul 31, 2017 |
So this is actually my 1st Reacher novel as well as 1st by Child's; was a story that really captured me but now I HATE that cruise was chosen for movie role; i'm mean he's a shrimp of a guy and Reacher is a big guy; seriously?? anyway the story was still good and i liked it; ending of this book really creeped me out though. ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
For Darley Anderson,
twenty years my agent, with thanks
Moving a guy as big as Keever wasn't easy.

Jack Reacher has no place to go, and all the time in the world to get there, so a remote railroad stop with the curious name of Mother's Rest seems perfect for an aimless one-day stopover. He expects to find a lonely tombstone in a sea of nearly-ripe wheat...but instead there is a woman waiting for a missing private investigator, a cryptic note about two hundred deaths, and a small town full of silent, watchful people. Reacher's one-day stopover turns into an open-ended stay...

Praised by Stephen King in Entertainment Weekly as “the coolest continuing series character now on offer,” Jack Reacher is back in a gripping new thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Lee Child.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:13 -0400)

"Jack Reacher has no place to go, and all the time in the world to get there, so a remote railroad stop with the curious name of Mother's Rest seems perfect for an aimless one-day stopover. He expects to find a lonely tombstone in a sea of nearly-ripe wheat ... but instead there is a woman waiting for a missing private investigator, a cryptic note about two hundred deaths, and a small town full of silent, watchful people"--Goodreads.com.… (more)

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,860,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible