Make Me by Lee Child
'Why is this town called Mother's Rest?' That's all Reacher wants to know. But no one will tell him. It's a tiny place hidden in a thousand square miles of wheat fields, with a railroad stop, and sullen and watchful people, and a worried woman named Michelle Chang, who mistakes him for someone else: her missing partner in a private investigation she thinks must have started small and then turned lethal. Reacher has no particular place to go, and all the time in the world to get there and there's something about Chang; so he teams up with her and starts to ask around. He thinks: How bad can this thing be? But before long he's plunged into a desperate race through LA, Chicago, Phoenix, and San Francisco, and through the hidden parts of the internet, up against thugs and assassins every step of the way, right back to where he started, in Mother's Rest, where he must confront the worst nightmare he could imagine. Walking away would have been easier.… (more)

English (63)  Piratical (1)  All languages (64)
Once again Reacher stumbles into a damsel in distress, her troublesome situation, and subsequently sleeps with her whilst resolving said troublesome situation as much as said troublesome situation can be resolved.

Seems like Lee Child has been watching the paranoid segments on current affairs television programs about the dangers lurking on the deep web and crafted that into a story, whilst yes it's an entertaining story, and yes it's more realistic than some of the other things Reacher has stumbled into. I couldn't help but feel it was a bit predictable based solely on the unfolding formula so soften used by Child in these novels.

Sure, it's entertaining, but I would have liked to see a bit more unique direction. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Nov 21, 2019 |
SWEDISH REVIEW

Jag hade bara läst den första boken i Jack Reacher serien innan jag läste denna. Men, jag hade inga problem att läsa Tvinga mig som är bok 20 trots att jag har missat att läsa de 18 tidigare släppta böckerna. Det var lätt att komma in i handlingen som både var spännande och fascinerande.Vad jag verkligen gillar är det slumpmässiga beslutet från Reachers sida att kliva av tåget i Mother's Rest som blev startskottet för en undersökning av vad staden, eller rättare sagt vad människorna i staden döljer...

Jag gillar småstadsmiljöer i böcker och denna bok lyckades verkligen få till liten-stad-med-en-mystisk-hemlighet-temat ordentligt. Berättelsen är intressant och fängslande att läsa med lite humor här och där och ett slut jag inte förväntade mig. Boken behöll min intresse rakt igenom och jag undrar varför jag inte fortsatte läsa serien efter att ha läst första boken, speciellt med tanke på att flera medlemmar i min familj gillar serien.

Denna recension är lite svår att skriva då jag inte vill avslöja något av handlingen. Dock tror jag att även de som inte har läst en Lee Child book, men som gillar mysterieböcker kommer att gilla denna bok!

Tack till Massolit Förlag för recensionsexemplaret!

ENGLISH REVIEW

I had only read the first book in the Jack Reacher series before I read this one. But, reading this one book, 20 in the series was not a problem, despite that, I haven't read the previous 18 books. Instead, I found the book to be easy to get into and the story fascinating and thrilling. What I especially like is how a random decision from Recher side to get off the train in Mother's Rest will start off an investigation about what the town, or rather the people in the town are hiding...

I liked small town settings and this book really nailed the mystery down theme. It's a very interesting an engrossing book to read with some humorous part and an ending I didn't suspect. The book kept my interest all the way through and I wonder why I did not keep on reading the series after reading the first book, especially since members of my family loves the series.

This is the kind of review that is hard to write because I don't want to give away the story. But, I think even those that haven't read a Lee Child book, but like a good mystery novel will like this book.

Thanks to Massolit Förlag for the review copy! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Interesting plot but not my type of book. ( )
  lynngood2 | Apr 26, 2019 |
Lee Child's flowing, flowing writing does not leave the reader indifferent. Another book recommended for fans of Jack. ( )
  Johenlvinson | Jan 13, 2019 |
Another solid story by Child. Once again reinforces the disconnect between the Reacher character and the Tom Cruise character in the films. He is way too small in all ways to fit the image portrayed. ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Dec 27, 2018 |
For Darley Anderson,
twenty years my agent, with thanks
Moving a guy as big as Keever wasn't easy.

Jack Reacher has no place to go, and all the time in the world to get there, so a remote railroad stop with the curious name of Mother's Rest seems perfect for an aimless one-day stopover. He expects to find a lonely tombstone in a sea of nearly-ripe wheat...but instead there is a woman waiting for a missing private investigator, a cryptic note about two hundred deaths, and a small town full of silent, watchful people. Reacher's one-day stopover turns into an open-ended stay...

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,327,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible