Across Five April's by Irene Hunt

Across Five April's (original 1964; edition 1980)

by Irene Hunt

Member:Billion
Title:Across Five April's
Authors:Irene Hunt
Info:Ace Books (1980), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:young adult, Newbery

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt (1964)

Summary of Book- The book called Across Five Aprils is about a boy who is growing up during the Civil War. He learns how important and life changing the war really is. He has to watch his three brothers, his cousin, and teacher go off to fight in the war. He hears about the war through letters and newspapers. The Creighton family goes through some hardships such as sons fighting on opposite sides of the Civil War. The family is faced with some more challenges such as neighborhood bullies and because the brothers are off fighting in the war Jethro is left with all of the farm work.
Personal Reaction to the Book: When I first heard of this book I did not think I would enjoy it because I usually do not enjoy historic books. However, when I started to read it my thoughts changed. This book was one that never became boring. It was filled with adventure and was very interesting. This would be a great example of a book to use in the classroom when discussing the Civil War,
Extension Ideas:
1. The children will write a short story explaining how they felt about the story. They will use specific examples from the story itself.
2. The children will pretend they are one of the brothers that are in the war fighting. The children will write a letter to a family member that is back home just like Jethro.
  ChristaSparks | Mar 20, 2015 |
Been some time since I read this, but I remember that in spite if my reluctance to read yet another book on the Civil War, I became engrossed in the story. Irene Hunt is a masterful storyteller, seamlessly weaving history into story. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 18, 2014 |
(5.5)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
This book is far deeper, far more intense, far...more...than I anticipated. Because the stories come from the author's grandfather, this story has an authenticity that makes it stick into your mind and conscious. This book will stay with me for a long time. Highly Recommend. ( )
  empress8411 | Sep 21, 2014 |
I've waited forever to read this book. I've had various copies over the years and picked it up at different times and just never could finish it. I'm glad I finally did, but I'm disappointed. It wasn't nearly as great as everyone made it out to be. Still a great book, just not my cup of tea. ( )
  teeney | Mar 14, 2014 |

Irene Huntprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bregy, TerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bruce, Diane, Eric, and Tracy
Ellen Creighton and her nine-year-old son, Jethro, were planting potatoes in the half-acre just south of their cabin that morning in mid-April, 1861; they were out in the field as soon as breakfast was over, and southern Illinois at that hour was pink with sunrise and swelling redbud and clusters of bloom over the apple orchard across the road.

Young Jethro Creighton grows from a boy to a man when he is left to take care of the family farm in Illinois during the difficult years of the Civil War.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,191,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible