Across Five April's by Irene Hunt

Across Five April's (original 1964; edition 1980)

by Irene Hunt

2,194262,958 (3.69)50
Member:Billion
Title:Across Five April's
Authors:Irene Hunt
Info:
Tags:young adult, Newbery

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt (1964)

(5.5)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
This book is far deeper, far more intense, far...more...than I anticipated. Because the stories come from the author's grandfather, this story has an authenticity that makes it stick into your mind and conscious. This book will stay with me for a long time. Highly Recommend. ( )
  empress8411 | Sep 21, 2014 |
I've waited forever to read this book. I've had various copies over the years and picked it up at different times and just never could finish it. I'm glad I finally did, but I'm disappointed. It wasn't nearly as great as everyone made it out to be. Still a great book, just not my cup of tea. ( )
  teeney | Mar 14, 2014 |
The narrator is superb, the Southern Illinois accent true to the way the people I know from there speak. The story is compelling.

My DH walked in right at the end and I was sitting on the couch crying. He asked what the matter was, and I said, "They've killed the President." He knows me fairly well, so he asked which President. I allowed as to how it was Lincoln. He left me in peace for the remainder of the book.

It's a masterpiece, plain and simple. Told through letters and seen through the eyes of Jethro who is 9 when the war begins, it's got a homespun tone and a piercing insight. Highly recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This was not a book that was easy to continue in Audio form. It's almost too leisurely. But I'm glad I stayed with it. The range and complexity of opinions about war matters is especially well done. Lots to think about here. It would be a good discussion starter about wars in general. ( )
  2wonderY | Feb 2, 2013 |

Irene Huntprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bregy, TerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bruce, Diane, Eric, and Tracy
Ellen Creighton and her nine-year-old son, Jethro, were planting potatoes in the half-acre just south of their cabin that morning in mid-April, 1861; they were out in the field as soon as breakfast was over, and southern Illinois at that hour was pink with sunrise and swelling redbud and clusters of bloom over the apple orchard across the road.

Young Jethro Creighton grows from a boy to a man when he is left to take care of the family farm in Illinois during the difficult years of the Civil War.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,395,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible