Across Five April's by Irene Hunt

Across Five April's (original 1964; edition 1980)

by Irene Hunt

Member:Billion
Title:Across Five April's
Authors:Irene Hunt
Info:Ace Books (1980), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:YA, Newbery

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt (1964)

Absolutely blew me away.
The American Civil War from the eyes of a boy who experiences it from his family's farm. Brothers go to either side, etc, etc.

Hunt did a fantastic job of showing a young boy growing into manhood while experiencing one of our countries worst times. It was sad, it was inspiring, it was fantastic.

I know I read this back in either elementary or middleschool, but I am glad I read it as an adult. So many things, on an emotional level, that I never would have picked up on earlier in life. The pain of a family torn apart. The joy of hero worship. The awkwardness of a child becoming an adult and disagreeing with the parents. The realization that peace is not a simple process. That mankind has both heroes and venal minded villains. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A quiet little book tracing the changes brought to an Illinois farm boy and his family throughout the Civil War. Nicely written, with a good mix of narrative and historical summary. ( )
  electrascaife | Aug 28, 2016 |
Excellent YA Civil War novel, showing complex issues faced by a rural family in southern Illinois, 1861-1865. At the start of the War, Jethro Creighton, the main character, is nine years old. His brothers, cousins, and older friends fight on both sides of the conflict. Although too young to fight, Jethro must face his own battles at home, with an ailing father and threatening townsfolk. ( )
  lizzieross | Jun 21, 2016 |
What a book! Would recommend it to anyone interested in the time period of the Civil War. So well-written and I felt as if I actually knew the characters. It is a Newbery Medal Honor Book. ( )
  RhondasReading | Jun 2, 2016 |
A good short story about the Civil War.
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |

Irene Huntprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bregy, TerryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stechschulte, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bruce, Diane, Eric, and Tracy
Ellen Creighton and her nine-year-old son, Jethro, were planting potatoes in the half-acre just south of their cabin that morning in mid-April, 1861; they were out in the field as soon as breakfast was over, and southern Illinois at that hour was pink with sunrise and swelling redbud and clusters of bloom over the apple orchard across the road.

Young Jethro Creighton grows from a boy to a man when he is left to take care of the family farm in Illinois during the difficult years of the Civil War.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,821,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible