Everything, everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, everything (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Nicola Yoon

2,9191923,332 (3.95)1 / 44
"The story of a teenage girl who's literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she's ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more"--
Member:mimi_bookdragon
Title:Everything, everything
Authors:Nicola Yoon
Info:[New York] : Listening Library (Audio), 2015.
Tags:bookstagram

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (2015)

Recently added byArina40, private library, Aperdon, fagazoni, bmsexton, emilyskw00, Mspence9

English (188)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (191)
Okay, I didn't actually finish it. I realized that the end was going to be the way it is. I can't handle sad stuff right now. Beautifully written though. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
"The world isn't going anywhere,"

This book is everything I wanted it to be.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p8IxRn-8c ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
Quick read that was very enjoyable. I loved that there were notes, drawings, texts, and other things throughout the book from the main characters point of view. I was surprised by the ending, but I loved the reading the entire book. Would definitely read again. ( )
  snickel63 | Aug 21, 2020 |
3.75
From my rating to this book and her previous books it seems as I have a personal problem with Nicola Yoon but I just didn't like this book. The only thing that made me give it 3 stars was the ending. The lie about sickness didn't make sense to me. Like maybe it is only me but I would always take a second opinion. Olly's character was weak but Maddy I liked she was a strong character. Otherwise that is it nothing amazing about this book. ( )
  Haleema-imran | Aug 3, 2020 |
I always love a story with different and new layouts.
But I just want to say one thing to Madeline- Girl, you should stop giving book spoilers. It irritates me so so much. Just STOP!
Besides that, it was too sweet a book, like Yoon's other book, [b:The Sun Is Also a Star|28763485|The Sun Is Also a Star|Nicola Yoon|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1459793538s/28763485.jpg|48954670]. I would say sweeter.
And I saw that twist coming. I totally knew that. It's just that I hoped that the author would give some subtle hints in the mother's behaviour but all through the book and the movie, they didn't even try to make her a little eccentric or feel a little guilty.
The book deals with such a serious situation where Maddy loses 18 years of a normal life and I don't even feel it. Yes, Yoon's books are sweet but they handle all problems too lightly (although, [b:The Sun Is Also a Star|28763485|The Sun Is Also a Star|Nicola Yoon|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1459793538s/28763485.jpg|48954670] was much better in that department, still this story was better). It is too light. And I guess that is a good thing because sometimes you need that kind of book, with drawings and symbols and creative layouts.

One more thing that bothered me was how this book was written for an average American Instagram teenage girl. You could feel the esthetics. And most of what I imagined was potrayed exactly the same way in the movie.
So I don't know. I am not angry with this book like I am with most others which don't live up to my expectations. Maybe that is because it didn't demand any effort on my part. It was an effortless read. Yeah, I had fun reading it but I am not sure I will get back to it.
And also, I am not sure why, but I feel like this story was some kind of rip-off. Unoriginal in some way. And I have no idea why I feel that because I watched the movie AFTER.
And I kind of liked Madeline a little less after she gave that stupid opinion about [b:Lord of the Flies|7624|Lord of the Flies|William Golding|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327869409s/7624.jpg|2766512]. It hate characters who are too optimistic in that way. Life has problems, okay? If you aren't accepting it, you are never going to get out of it. Maybe I just feel that because that is the basis of all Indian philosophies, including Buddhism and Jainism. Pessimism is necessary to lead to actual optimism. Characters who aren't a little cynical, just seem a little dumb to me. In Tony Stark's words-- I guess I just don't trust a guy without a dark side. ( )
  AzuraScarlet | Aug 1, 2020 |

Nicola Yoonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wiemken, SimoneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoon, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here is my secret. It’s quite simple:
One sees clearly only with the heart.
Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
To my husband, David Yoon, who showed me my heart.
And to my smart, beautiful daughter, Penny, who made it bigger.
I’ve read many more books than you.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,493,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible