The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

The Stars My Destination (original 1956; edition 1956)

by Alfred Bester, Neil Gaiman (Introduction), Alex and Phyllis Eisenstein (Editor), Evan Gaffney (Cover designer)

4,3201151,145 (4.07)2 / 256
Member:sturlington
Title:The Stars My Destination
Authors:Alfred Bester
Other authors:Neil Gaiman (Introduction), Alex and Phyllis Eisenstein (Editor), Evan Gaffney (Cover designer)
Info:New York : Vintage Books, 1996. Trade paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Classics - SFF, 1950s, Kindle ebook, Z-no review

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (1956)

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester (timspalding)
    timspalding: The rest of Bester isn't very good. These two are great.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (sturlington)
    sturlington: Inspired The Stars My Destination.
    Ubik by Philip K. Dick (falls)
    Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (EatSleepChuck)
    Join by Steve Toutonghi (47degreesnorth)
    Camp Concentration by Thomas M. Disch (Anonymous user)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (pnorth)
    pnorth: Another book based on The Count of Monte Cristo but closer to the original than Bester's.

English (112)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All (115)
A Facebook 'friend' recommended this one. Although it was first published over half a century ago and I've been a fairly avid science fiction reader since I was a kid, I'd never heard of it. I checked my local library. They had a copy. I borrowed it. I read it. I'm impressed, especially since it's not the kind of story I normally like. The protagonist starts out with no redeeming qualities and little personality other than a passion for survival. And although he grows and matures over the course of the book, it's never really clear why. And then there's the personal teleportation thing, what they call 'jaunting' in the book—you just clearly imagine your start and end points and ZIP, you're there. That calls for a bit too much suspension of disbelief than I can normally handle. But for some odd reason, the whole thing works...at least it did for me. I quite enjoyed it. The 1950s saw several books with an intellectual and philosophical aspect, and this is certainly one of them. I much prefer stories like that over 'action packed' 'nonstop adventure' tales. Maybe I just like the old science fiction better. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

Weirdly, I had never actually read this (though thought I had). I got an electronic copy as part of a humble bundle in February, and then found I had a paper copy on the shelf, with a business-class boarding pass for a plane flight from Zagreb to Frankfurt on October 30 of an unspecified year stuck in the back cover. I was a bit puzzled - I have flown business-class seldom enough that I can still remember almost every occasion that it's happened - and checking back through my records I realised that it must have been when I was guest speaker at an OSCE conference in Zagreb on 29-30 October 2003; I dimly recall a late night with old friends at the hotel bar, wondering fuzzily why we couldn't see the towering Intercontinental from the top floor of our hotel (embarrassingly, this turned out to be because we were actually staying in the Intercontinental which had meantime changed names to the Opera; it's now the Westin) and a sleepy journey home in the course of which I must have had the book on my lap unopened save for tucking the boarding pass into it. In that case, it must have been literally the last book I acquired before I started book-blogging on Livejournal in November 2003.

It's far ahead of its time (which was 1957). Bester is sometimes described as the fore-runner of cyberpunk; but he also reaches back to The Count of Monte Cristo, and to various other tropes. Gully Foyle's story is a compelling push for revenge, in a society where the availability of instant transportation to everyone has actually reinforced the control of resources and society by the rich and powerful. The prose is effervescent and intestinal. It's a great piece of writing, but Gully Foyle is a deeply unpleasant protagonist and a rapist - that last point being probably the single element that has dated most badly. Still, I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. ( )
  nwhyte | Oct 7, 2016 |
Ehhh. There's a lot here. The main character is atrocious. There's throwaway lines that, when unpacked, reveal how our world is different than the mid-50's when this was written, but there's also the first inklings of cyberpunk. Evil megacorps, investigating crimes... it's pulpy, and dark, and I'll reiterate--the main character is atrocious. ( )
  adamwolf | Oct 2, 2016 |
Am citit o cateva capitole dar e ceva in stilul lui care nu imi place.
Si poveste care parea interesant s-a schimbat in rau cand s-a reintors Gully Foyle pe pamant. ( )
  Alfred.Faltiska | Aug 2, 2016 |
It is meant to be one of the best classical SF books, but really it shows its age. Mediocre writing, indifferent characters and a less than inspiring plot. I guess the imagination at the time was impressive but today there are many more comprehensive and beguiling sf worlds created by good writers... Shame really, but hey ho.
Writing: 1/5

Horen, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiger! Tiger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame they fearful symmetry?
~ Blake
To Truman M. Talley
This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure rich living and hard dying . . . but nobody thought so.
~ Prologue
He was one hundred and seventy days dying and not yet dead.
He was Gully Foyle, the oiler, wiper, bunkerman; too easy for trouble, too slow for fun, too empty for friendship, too lazy for love.
"Vorga, I kill you filthy."
It was an age of freaks, monsters, and grotesques. All the world was misshapen in marvelous and malevolent ways.
Gully Foyle is my nameAnd Terra is my nation.Deep space is my dwelling place,The stars my destination.
Bester's original title, used in the UK editions, was "Tiger! Tiger!" (a reference to the Blake poem). In the US: "The Stars My Destination".

In a future where humans have learned how to teleport, provided they have previously physically seen their destination, Gully Foyle's is marooned in space, and he becomes obsessed with getting revenge after another spaceship passes him by.
Don't mess with Gully.
He'll do whatever it takes
To fuck you over.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679767800, Paperback)

When it comes to pop culture, Alfred Bester (1913-1987) is something of an unsung hero. He wrote radio scripts, screenplays, and comic books (in which capacity he created the original Green Lantern Oath). But Bester is best known for his science-fiction novels, and The Stars My Destination may be his finest creation. First published in 1956 (as Tiger! Tiger!), the novel revolves around a hero named Gulliver Foyle, who teleports himself out of a tight spot and creates a great deal of consternation in the process. With its sly potshotting at corporate skullduggery, The Stars My Destination seems utterly contemporary, and has maintained its status as an underground classic for forty years. (Bester fans should also note that Vintage has reprinted The Demolished Man, which won the very first Hugo Award in 1953.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Gully Foyle, Mechanic's Mate 3rd Class, is the only survivor on his drifting, wrecked spaceship. When another space vessel, the Vorga, ignores his distress flares and sails by, Foyle becomes a man obsessed with revenge. He endures 170 days alone in deep space before finding refuge on the Sargasso Asteroid and then returning to Earth to track down the crew and owners of the Vorga. But, as he works out his murderous grudge, Foyle also uncovers a secret of momentous proportions.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,796,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible