The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

The Stars My Destination (original 1956; edition 1956)

by Alfred Bester, Neil Gaiman (Introduction), Alex and Phyllis Eisenstein (Editor), Evan Gaffney (Cover designer)

4,2531181,167 (4.07)2 / 251
Member:sturlington
Title:The Stars My Destination
Authors:Alfred Bester
Other authors:Neil Gaiman (Introduction), Alex and Phyllis Eisenstein (Editor), Evan Gaffney (Cover designer)
Info:New York : Vintage Books, 1996. Trade paperback
Tags:SF, misc classics, dystopia, Kindle ebook, novel, unreviewed

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (1956)

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester (timspalding)
    timspalding: The rest of Bester isn't very good. These two are great.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (sturlington)
    sturlington: Inspired The Stars My Destination.
    Ubik by Philip K. Dick (falls)
    Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (EatSleepChuck)
    Join by Steve Toutonghi (47degreesnorth)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (pnorth)
    pnorth: Another book based on The Count of Monte Cristo but closer to the original than Bester's.

English (113)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (116)
A wonderful book; the first chapter—trapped in the spaceship—completely hooks you. ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
It is meant to be one of the best classical SF books, but really it shows its age. Mediocre writing, indifferent characters and a less than inspiring plot. I guess the imagination at the time was impressive but today there are many more comprehensive and beguiling sf worlds created by good writers... Shame really, but hey ho.
Writing: 1/5
World: 2/5
Characters: 2/5
Plot: 1/5 ( )
  PeterWhitfield | May 19, 2016 |
Very interesting story, and good example of classic sci-fi, but the dialect at the beginning killed it for me. Also, while I understand the title, it could have had a much more apt one. ( )
  bookwyrmm | May 3, 2016 |

Horen, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiger! Tiger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame they fearful symmetry?
~ Blake
To Truman M. Talley
This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure rich living and hard dying . . . but nobody thought so.
~ Prologue
He was one hundred and seventy days dying and not yet dead.
He was Gully Foyle, the oiler, wiper, bunkerman; too easy for trouble, too slow for fun, too empty for friendship, too lazy for love.
"Vorga, I kill you filthy."
It was an age of freaks, monsters, and grotesques. All the world was misshapen in marvelous and malevolent ways.
Gully Foyle is my nameAnd Terra is my nation.Deep space is my dwelling place,The stars my destination.
Bester's original title, used in the UK editions, was "Tiger! Tiger!" (a reference to the Blake poem). In the US: "The Stars My Destination".
In a future where humans have learned how to teleport, provided they have previously physically seen their destination, Gully Foyle's is marooned in space, and he becomes obsessed with getting revenge after another spaceship passes him by.
Don't mess with Gully.
He'll do whatever it takes
To fuck you over.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679767800, Paperback)

When it comes to pop culture, Alfred Bester (1913-1987) is something of an unsung hero. He wrote radio scripts, screenplays, and comic books (in which capacity he created the original Green Lantern Oath). But Bester is best known for his science-fiction novels, and The Stars My Destination may be his finest creation. First published in 1956 (as Tiger! Tiger!), the novel revolves around a hero named Gulliver Foyle, who teleports himself out of a tight spot and creates a great deal of consternation in the process. With its sly potshotting at corporate skullduggery, The Stars My Destination seems utterly contemporary, and has maintained its status as an underground classic for forty years. (Bester fans should also note that Vintage has reprinted The Demolished Man, which won the very first Hugo Award in 1953.)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Gully Foyle, Mechanic's Mate 3rd Class, is the only survivor on his drifting, wrecked spaceship. When another space vessel, the Vorga, ignores his distress flares and sails by, Foyle becomes a man obsessed with revenge. He endures 170 days alone in deep space before finding refuge on the Sargasso Asteroid and then returning to Earth to track down the crew and owners of the Vorga. But, as he works out his murderous grudge, Foyle also uncovers a secret of momentous proportions.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,487,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible