The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

The Stars My Destination (original 1956; edition 2011)

by Alfred Bester

3,9291001,310 (4.08)2 / 238
Member:TadAD
Title:The Stars My Destination
Authors:Alfred Bester
Info:iPicturebooks (2011), Edition: 0002-, Paperback, 236 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Science Fiction, $Kindle

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (1956)

Recently added byeuoka, ngunity, 2012, Azhraam, whacim, cbwerner, private library, ralphcoviello, joralv
    The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester (timspalding)
    timspalding: The rest of Bester isn't very good. These two are great.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (sturlington)
    sturlington: Inspired The Stars My Destination.
    Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (EatSleepChuck)
    Ubik by Philip K. Dick (falls)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (pnorth)
    pnorth: Another book based on The Count of Monte Cristo but closer to the original than Bester's.

English (97)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (100)
Ӕ
  ngunity | Nov 23, 2014 |
I came to this book via a list of the 25 greatest Sci-Fi novels and felt I should give it a go.

Maybe it's me, but while I admit to enjoying the book, it wouldn't be anywhere near my top 25.

The main story concerns Gully Folye's relentless pursuit of revenge against the people who left him
for dead and his rise through society as he seeks them out. A similarity to The Count of Monte Cristo
that other reviewers have pointed out.

There are some fascinating ideas peppered in the novel, the main one being teleporting, or "Jaunting"
that has transformed society.
After all, if you could jaunt anywhere you want, could such things as nations exist?
How would you protect your home, or family, if people could jaunt into the middle of your house?
These questions, and others, are briefly raised, but are not fully explored before we are back
headlong into the main story. It does make for a rollicking story though.

And then we reach the climax, where Gully finds the object of his vengeance, committing all sorts of crimes along the way, only to undergo a sort of Damascene conversion before turning his back.

Maybe I'm missing all the subtexts to the story, maybe I'm not clever enough. But, for me it was a good 1950's pulp Sci-Fi novel that achieved the primary aim of entertaining. Thats it. ( )
  LustyRebel | Sep 25, 2014 |
This book is a literary version of the car chase scene in the movies, and behind the wheel is a madman of such magnitude I haven't encountered before. What a ride. ( )
1 vote Me-chan | Jun 19, 2014 |
I don't think I can describe this. There are better reviewers than I to do that. My response? I read this in one day. I wanted to know what would become of Gully Foyle. There were many aspects of it, those which make it seem similar to The Count of Monte Cristo, which I enjoyed.

Other parts were painful. I did not understand some of the responses the characters had to Foyle, especially the women. That whole "I hate you, you've ruined my life, now let's make love" thing doesn't work for me. Also, I do not enjoy psychedelic trips, and there were enough of those in here to firmly ground this book in that I would have thought it was written in the 60's. The end disappointed me, because I like conclusive endings. ( )
  MrsLee | Mar 2, 2014 |

The Count of Monte Christo is space. Written in the 50s, portions of the book are very dated and winceworthy, whilst other parts pave the way for for sci-fi to come. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |

Alfred Besterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bacon, C.W.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chesterman, AdrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaiman, NeilIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiger! Tiger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame they fearful symmetry?
~ Blake
To Truman M. Talley
This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure rich living and hard dying . . . but nobody thought so.
~ Prologue
He was one hundred and seventy days dying and not yet dead.
He was Gully Foyle, the oiler, wiper, bunkerman; too easy for trouble, too slow for fun, too empty for friendship, too lazy for love.
"Vorga, I kill you filthy."
It was an age of freaks, monsters, and grotesques. All the world was misshapen in marvelous and malevolent ways.
Gully Foyle is my nameAnd Terra is my nation.Deep space is my dwelling place,The stars my destination.
Bester's original title, used in the UK editions, was "Tiger! Tiger!" (a reference to the Blake poem). In the US: "The Stars My Destination".
In a future where humans have learned how to teleport, provided they have previously physically seen their destination, Gully Foyle's is marooned in space, and he becomes obsessed with getting revenge after another spaceship passes him by.
Don't mess with Gully.
He'll do whatever it takes
To fuck you over.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679767800, Paperback)

When it comes to pop culture, Alfred Bester (1913-1987) is something of an unsung hero. He wrote radio scripts, screenplays, and comic books (in which capacity he created the original Green Lantern Oath). But Bester is best known for his science-fiction novels, and The Stars My Destination may be his finest creation. First published in 1956 (as Tiger! Tiger!), the novel revolves around a hero named Gulliver Foyle, who teleports himself out of a tight spot and creates a great deal of consternation in the process. With its sly potshotting at corporate skullduggery, The Stars My Destination seems utterly contemporary, and has maintained its status as an underground classic for forty years. (Bester fans should also note that Vintage has reprinted The Demolished Man, which won the very first Hugo Award in 1953.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:00 -0400)

Gully Foyle, Mechanic's Mate 3rd Class, is the only survivor on his drifting, wrecked spaceship. When another space vessel, the Vorga, ignores his distress flares and sails by, Foyle becomes a man obsessed with revenge. He endures 170 days alone in deep space before finding refuge on the Sargasso Asteroid and then returning to Earth to track down the crew and owners of the Vorga. But, as he works out his murderous grudge, Foyle also uncovers a secret of momentous proportions.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,043,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible