Things You Won't Say: A Novel by Sarah…

Things You Won't Say: A Novel (edition 2015)

by Sarah Pekkanen

Member:scoutlee
Title:Things You Won't Say: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Pekkanen
Info:Washington Square Press (2015), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read 2015, audiobook 2015, new release 2015, husbands and wives, contemporary fiction, family secrets, Virginia

Things You Won't Say: A Novel by Sarah Pekkanen

3.5/5 read last week-- good read by an enjoyable author ( )
  RitaH111 | Aug 4, 2016 |
This is a nice little story about a woman named Jamie who is married to Mike, a cop, and has three children with him. Mike also has a son with his ex-girlfriend Christie who is a welcome part of their family. Jamie’s younger sister Lou is also an integral part of this story and some of the best parts of this novel involve her work with elephants at the local zoo. The crisis in this story occurs when Mike is involved in a shooting that results in a teen’s death. This affects everyone he loves and cares about so the resolution is important to a number of people. It was an entertaining read. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jun 12, 2016 |
I definitely enjoyed this novel by Pekkanen. It's the first of her books I've read and after I completed it, I looked back on Goodreads and saw I've had several of her earlier novels on my "to read" list for a while. I certainly liked what I read here enough to go back and explore some of her earlier works. Probably the only thing that prevented me from giving this a 4-star rating (I'd say this is about 3.5 star - still wish Goodreads let us give half star ratings) is that the novel wrapped up suddenly and a little too easily.

The novel follows the story of Jamie, a stay-at-home mom with three young kids. Her husband, Mike, is a cop. The story is very current -- not long after his partner is seriously wounded in a shooting, Mike finds himself in another dangerous situation. There's another shooting--at Mike's hands.

The story unfolds from the viewpoint of the women in Mike's life: Jamie; her sister, Lou - a slightly eccentric zookeeper and part-time barista; and Christie, Mike's ex-girlfriend, who is night to Jamie's day, but also mother to Mike's eldest son, Henry.

The characters are well-developed and complex. Jamie is a bit irritating at times, but I really liked Lou. The book is a rapid read and a very easy one, as well, even if it's rather stressful. It's certainly a worthwhile and enjoyable read. I'll be curious to see what some of Pekkanen's earlier books are like.

(Note: I received an advance ebook version of this book from Edelweiss in return for an unbiased review.) ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
Things you won't say by Sarah Pekkanen
Jamie Anderson worries about her husband who is a policeman. Then she gets the call a policeman has been hurt, but it's not her husband but his partner. Mike struggles to go on with a new partner but nightmares keep him from getting good sleep.
Her sister Lew works with animals and lives with an ex boyfriend who's dating a new girl.
Story also follows Sandy and her husband who's laid up in the hospital for months....
Also it follows Christy who shares a boy with Mike and he gets to visit with Jamie and the 3 kids her and Mike have together.
She was a receptionist and now works for a PI, Elroy trying to find unfaithful husbands for a lot higher wage.
Lots of references to elephants and their habits.
Another call and now her husband has pulled his trigger and the teen died. There was no gun but he says he saw it. She needs to stand by him but she has her own doubts.
  jbarr5 | Dec 8, 2015 |
I chose this book to read because I enjoyed Pekkanen’s previous novel, SKIPPING A BEAT. I didn’t like THINGS YOU WON’T SAY as much, but it was a worthwhile read nonetheless. The author tackles the subject of police brutality and racial tension, and her novel at least covers part of the controversial situation in a sensitive way.

The novel starts off strong with Mike’s tragedies at work and the burden it puts on Jamie and their children. It seemed to lose focus though, with the introduction of Christie (Mike’s ex) and Lou (Jamie’s sister). Their side stories didn’t do anything to advance the plot, and Lou’s, unfortunately, was boring.

I liked how the book wraps up, though it was probably too neat and tidy to be realistic, especially with recent real life events similar to this one. What I liked most was watching how Jamie and Mike’s relationship changed over the course of the terrible ordeal, and what they learned from their mistakes.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher thorough NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  bookofsecrets | Nov 17, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,790,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible