Beyond Redemption by Michael R Fletcher

Beyond Redemption (edition 2015)

by Michael R Fletcher (Author)

Member:majkia
Title:Beyond Redemption
Authors:Michael R Fletcher (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2015), 512 pages
Collections:Most Wanted, Wishlist

Beyond Redemption by Michael R. Fletcher

First DNF of the year Stopped at 36% in, it tried too hard to be grimdark for me , example a character has sex with a mirror studded labia and saying " that looks sharp" . I found it a bit repetitive with wichtig and his malarkey with his greatest swordman ever act, maybe I just don't get the author's humour I'm sure other readers will get it sadly I don't . I also feel that the author cared more about his unique magic system then he does with his characters, Not for me. ( )
  Eclipse777 | Jun 2, 2018 |
Beyond Redemption is a dark and twisted tale. Definitely not for readers who don't like their fantasy dark and filled with gore.

The darkness is balanced with humour and the characters are fleshed out and interesting. This book has some of the best world building I've ever seen.

What I liked most was the unique magic system which is based on psychology and ultimately insanity. In this world the most powerful people are the ones with strong delusions and the more powerful they get the stronger their delusions become.

The story follows a trio, Bedeckt, Stehlen and Wichtig. And this was my main problem. See, my first language is German and these characters are literally called "Covered" "Stealing" and "Important." There's nothing more annoying than seeing adjectives and verbs capitalised and used as names.

Fletcher uses German like other authors use Latin. It probably works and adds to the darkness if you don't know the language. Unfortunately, Fletcher seems to have used Google Translate and butchered most of the German. I almost couldn't get through the book because of that.

So, if you're German or speak German? Pick up the translation. The German publisher made sure to give the character proper names and otherwise use proper German and it no longer is distracting. Sadly, I'd already bought the book when I found that out.

Apart from that, this is an amazing read. Fletcher really came up with something original and innovative. Highly recommended. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 27, 2018 |
One last book for the 2015 top ten. Guess I'm going to actually have to write this list.. Probably before 2016.. Maybe.. I'm not fussy.. RTC. ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
Would it make sense to call a book “grimdarker than grimdark”? This question was the second thought that crossed my mind as I pensively closed the cover on the final page of my copy of Beyond Redemption. It followed right on the heels of my first thought, which was “Damn, that shit was a hundred different kinds of awesome.”

Grimdark, after all, is a term frequently used to describe fantasy fiction with mostly dystopic, brutal or violent themes. Very often it also features characters that are amoral or dishonorable. All of this applies to this novel, which most certainly is nihilistic and violent—viciously and disturbingly so. It’s also aptly titled, seeing as no one in this story is in possession of a single redeeming attribute. They are all terrible, disgusting people. No joke, I could strip these characters down to their infinitesimal building blocks in order to examine each and every single atom under an electron microscope, and I still wouldn’t be able to find the smallest trace of goodness in any of them. It’s quite amazing, really.

Gods help me then, why did I enjoy them so much? Perhaps one has to be a little bit crazy to revel in reading about dark, gritty and twisted characters such as these. In which case, can you please pass me some more of that sweet, sweet insanity?

Fortunately, Michael R. Fletcher is happy to oblige. The world he gives us is literally steeped in chaos, madness, and delusion. In Beyond Redemption, individuals known as Geisteskranken are the unstable and insane individuals whose psychoses manifest as reality. Furthermore, under normal circumstances their powers are also shaped by collective beliefs, so the more people who believe in your delusion, the more those ideas become the truth.

Let’s just take a moment to digest this, shall we? You’re essentially being thrown into a world where the “magic” is delusion, and all your magicians are batshit insane. Come on, doesn’t that sound positively delightful!

Not to mention, there are just so many types of Geisteskranken. Rarely do I recommend this, but in the case of this book, it might actually be helpful to check out the glossary of all the different kinds of delusions described in the back before you start reading. It’s an impressive list, each one more frightening than the last. Hassebrands, for example, like to set fire to everything as an outlet for their repressed rage and loneliness. Therianthropes, on the other hand, think they are possessed by animal spirits, and are able to shapeshift into these creatures simply because they believe they can. But perhaps the most nefarious of all are the Gefahrgeists, sociopaths who are driven by their desperate desire to be at the center of attention and to rule over others.

And heaven forfend if you happen to be one of those Geisteskranken who are comorbidic, a person who manifests multiple delusions. These men and women tend to be even more unhinged, as mental instability often goes hand in hand with comorbidity. In Beyond Redemption, High Priest Konig Furimmer is one such individual, a twisted madman who seeks to forge order from the fiery chaos around him. Konig’s plans involve creating a god – a god his church can control. An innocent and sheltered young boy named Morgen is being groomed for the honor, to be killed once it is determined that he is ready to Ascend.

But before his Ascension could come to pass, Morgen is stolen away by three wretched thieves: Bedeckt the old cantankerous warrior, Stehlen the bloodthirsty kleptomaniac woman, and Wichtig the pompous Gefahrgeist who fancies himself the Greatest Swordsman in the World. Konig has no choice but to send the most dastardly of his Geisteskranken after the trio of brazen miscreants, hoping to salvage his plans before Morgen is forever corrupted. Anything can happen in this wild, dark tale of cat and mouse, but one thing is guaranteed – there’ll be a body count numbering in the hundreds and a whole lot more blood and guts spilled before this is done.

If you think a book like this sounds too crazy and ludicrous to pull off, I don’t blame you. The thing is though, it works. It really does. Declaring the protagonists as flawed might be the understatement of the century, but I was nevertheless fascinated by their delusions and eccentricities. You might find yourself wanting to root for them, even if you hate yourself a little for it. They are all so vile and depraved, and yet I cannot deny this was one of the most fantastic and unique cast of characters I’ve ever met.

It’s impossible not to get completely sucked into this story. Not that I wanted to fight the pull, mind you. Beyond Redemption is so wildly imaginative and intensely entertaining, you just can’t help but embrace its bleak world, the tortured characters, the wicked concepts. Giving in to the madness has never felt so good. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 8, 2016 |
... if you like dark fantasy, this book is worth reading for the magic system alone.

This is just about as grimdark as it gets. Even with such intriguing characters, if you don’t enjoy the genre I would stay away. This book has teeth.

Бытие определяет сознание.
--> Сознание определяет бытие (?)
----> Безумие определяет бытие (!)
[Я:] Есть на свете замечательные человеки (за что им спасибо ^_^), которые тыкают пальцем в стоящие книги, чтобы другим было хорошо. Мне тыкнули, я перетыкиваю. Правда "хорошо" тут весьма относительное. Или наоборот? Да, наверное, наоборот — абсолютное, но четко ограниченное по реципиентам. Несколько лет назад я вешал на отзывы warning — "любителям феечек" не читать. Повесил бы и здесь, но нужны более радикальные меры: если вы хоть когда-нибудь прикасались к светлому и доброму в книгах, и каким-то закоулком души ждёте хоть толики вот этого самого от литературы, то срочно закройте этот отзыв, а название книги забудьте.
[Снова я:] канадский автор, местечково и не очень массово опубликовавший дебютный роман, а несколько рассказов продавший в приличные журналы, смог пробиться с новой книгой в профильный импринт большого издательства. Мы могли бы за него порадоваться, если бы не один момент (два момента? момент, распадающийся на две части?) — Флетчер одержим. Двумя вещами: 1) желанием шагнуть за границы канона фэнтези; 2) одержимостью. Воооот. Уже интригует? Нет? Едем дальше тогда.

Вон харпер вояджеры явно заинтриговались и купили роман. А потом испугались. И стали тщательно книжку прятать. Сначала под мэйнстримно-вестерновой обложкой (хотя хороша, шорт побьери — Ричард Андерсон явно хочет закрепиться в числе моих любимых художников-оформителей). Потом за немудрящим и "безликим" заголовком — Beyond Redemption (поразвлекался с контекстами и породил следующий конструкт: "За порогом искупления" — пусть коряво, но зато с нужными конотациями).
Чего испугались? Смотрим эпиграф первые три строчки. Угу, книга — про это.
[Псевдоакадемичность:] Давайте всё же начнём препарировать сам роман — тогда понятнее будет, о чём вообще разговор. С целию чего предлагаю вернуться к нашей последней статье, где непосредственно об книжках было. Итак, про выход за границы канона. Если судить по методе побега, то герру Флетчеру не чуждо странное — роман суть тот нью-вейрд, который более тяготеет к фэнтези (углубляясь в челове{-ка} и {-чность}). И можно было бы на этом успокоиться с привязкой к системе координат, если бы наш герр не восхотел добраться до границ через центр. Вместо того, чтобы, как любой нормальный мьёвиллист выйти через окно, наш автор нарисовал окно на полу и вышел вниз — ткскзть, низринулся в подсознание прямо из кристально чистой гримдарк героики...
[Склонность к гримдарку:] Угу, из героики... Драгоценные поклонники субжанра, что нас в нём так привлекает? Кажется мне, что ответ однозначен — замечательные, честные в своей серости моральной амбивалентности или вовсе недобрости персонажи. И важно не то, что они крутят мечи лучше "положительных" героев, но то, что будучи погружёнными в сумрачность мира, они обращаются к мраку сами либо судорожно балансируют в полушаге от него, но при этом не пытаются обелить себя, а (с традиционно саркастичными комментариями) способны правдиво описать то, что видят в зеркалах собственных душ. На этом же моменте происходит отсеивание большинства нелюбителей этой вашей "чернухи" — таким персонажам сложно сопереживать. Поэтому Флетчер делает прыжок в бездну из сугубой антигероики.
Но именно на этом он и выигрывает — феелюбы уже разбежались, а мракофилов надо дожимать. Насухо. Отъять сопереживание напрочь. Все персонажи безумны (по классике: весь мир таков, что...). Безумны настолько, что даже хладный, рациональный ум повествователя совершенно естественным образом не поспевает вычленять их частные мотивы и побуждения, руководствуясь лишь маяками их сверхзадач.
[Псевдоакадемичность:] Наверное стоит всё же декорации описать, чтобы пояснить откуда то безумие берётся: боги, устав от собственной несовершенности, ушли в другой мир, по своему подобию его оформив и разукрасив. Мир вышел больным, его насельники тоже, преимущественно на голову. Чем сильнее отклонение, тем больше оно аффектит окружающую реальность. Соответственно, реальность мы получаем очень нестабильную, ведь она населена недружелюбными отщепенцами, которые меряются кто больше прогнёт изменчивый мир. При этом делают это не произвольным образом, но в согласии с вполне чёткой системой классификации душевных недугов (адаптированной из нашей местной психиатрии).
[Уважение к тонкому троллингу:] Божежтымой, "система классификации" — автор берет ряд наиболее живописных сдвигов по фазе, обзывает их чудовищными конструктами из немецких слов (правда извиняется за подобное глумление над немецким языком в начале книги), щедро присваивает их основным действующим лицам, а потом старательно сталкивает несчастных дуриков между собой в очень прихотливые противостояниях. Но проделывает он всё это стильно. Взять, например, сами образы антигероев: нарцисс с комплексом неполноценности, который как кажется не может говорить правду в принципе, но при этом является самым честным и искренним во всем романе; (похоже) единственный нормальный человек на весь мир, чьё состояние психики подчас пугает больше чем любое сумасшествие; идеальный мягкий диктатор с таким букетом диагнозов, что на фоне его саморазрушения фактически валится этот несчастный больной мир и т.д...
[Склонность к гримдарку:] Но согласись, что нельзя не оценить умение работы с такими персонажами. С самого изначалья отобрав у себя возможность пробудить в читателе хоть какое-то родство с действующими лицами, Флетчер умудряется вызвать к ним удивительно высокую степень доверия, когда к героям начинаешь прирастать через попытки их понимания. Даже больше скажу — у меня где-то с середины романа автор вызвал по отношению к ним наведённый стокгольмский синдром во всей его полноте.
[Уважение к тонкому троллингу:] Так одними персонажами он не ограничивается же. А вмонтировать в эту чернуху, кровищу и брутальщину роман взросления идеального ребенка; а построить в подобном мире утопическое государство, а потом сделать с ним, то что он сделал. Тролль, как он есть. И я уже вовсе не говорю про сцены из загробного мира, где я просто гоготал или выполнял некоторые элементы покатывания от смеха.
[Псевдоакадемичность:] Нет, мы конечно можем долго обсуждать, кому какие частности понравились, но нам же хочется, чтобы читающие нас и Флетчера прочитали, значит надо какую-то рационализацию позитивных моментов провести.
[Уважение к тонкому троллингу:] Позитивные моменты в этой книге? Ха.
[Псевдоакадемичность:] Да, пожалуй, что они. Если всё в кучку собрать, то выходит краткое описание очень даже замечательного романа:
Построив причудливый мир и населив его интересными и достоверными маньяками, которые задействованы в динамично развивающемся сюжете, автор рассказывает нам следующую историю: "идеальное" религиозное государство волею великого во всех смыслах лидера ставит перед собой задачу выиграть местную гонку вооружений = добиться собственного первенства в контроле над сумасшествием мира, для чего ударяется в педагогические эксперименты. К несчастью этот процесс обращает на себя взоры некоторых личностей, внимания которых настоятельно рекомендуется избегать: например, троицы отъявленных и закоренелых преступников-неудачников, или, очень мягко говоря, эксцентричного рабовладельца. Добавьте к этому тот факт, что собственные элитные кадры нашего религиозного образования уже очень давно и сильно не способны сойти за нормальных людей, а оппоненты и того безумней, то вы можете представить к какому хаосу всё приходит в конечном итоге. И это только "развлекательная" ипостась романа, а при учёте скрупулёзного расчленения человеческих душ и лёгкого квеста в поисках духовности аморальных персонажей, книга приобретает глубину и объемность идей.
[Уважение к тонкому троллингу:] Зануда. А я скажу проще — автор написал тонкое и пронзительное произведение фэнтези, которое нарочито отступило от канона в казалось бы святом месте — в нормальности персонажей. Эксперимент? Да. Удался? Да. Нам понравилось? Да. Чего нам ещё надо?

P.S. Продолжение будет. Но я надеюсь, что Флетчер хотя бы тут останется в каноне — вейрд-серии обычно построены на чудных непрямых связях.

Maybe we'd have to go back to mediaeval depictions of Hell, because this could just be the literary equivalent of a Hieronymous Bosch landscape of horror. It's also a reminder to us of the truest horror, that we might go mad ourselves. After all, as Norman Bates famously told us, 'We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?' This is an exploration of what that might mean.

This one easily lands in The Best of Grimdark and I hope to be reading some sequels soon.

Beyond Redemption by Michael R Fletcher is a book that will feature in the "Best of Lists" for a lot of fantasy lovers in 2015. It is a startlingly original story - cloaked in bloody violence and grim darkness yes but where it absolutely scores is the evocative world-building and the fantastic characterization that is second to none. Full of hard men and women in a world gone mad where your beliefs define reality and then again, nothing is ever real.

A darkly imaginative writer in the tradition of Joe Abercrombie, Peter V. Brett, and Neil Gaiman conjures a gritty mind-bending fantasy, set in a world where delusion becomes reality . . . and the fulfillment of humanity’s desires may well prove to be its undoing.

When belief defines reality, those with the strongest convictions—the crazy, the obsessive, the delusional—have the power to shape the world.

And someone is just mad enough to believe he can create a god . . .

Violent and dark, the world is filled with the Geistrekranken—men and women whose delusions manifest. Sustained by their own belief—and the beliefs of those around them—they can manipulate their surroundings. For the High Priest Konig, that means creating order out of the chaos in his city-state, leading his believers to focus on one thing: helping a young man, Morgen, ascend to become a god. A god they can control.

Trouble is, there are many who would see a god in their thrall, including the High Priest’s own doppelgangers, a Slaver no one can resist, and three slaves led by possibly the only sane man left.

As these forces converge on the boy, there’s one more obstacle: time is running out. Because as the delusions become more powerful, the also become harder to control. The fate of the Geistrekranken is to inevitably find oneself in the Afterdeath. The question, then, is:

Who will rule there?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:06 -0400)

A darkly imaginative writer in the tradition of Joe Abercrombie, Peter V. Brett, and Neil Gaiman conjures a gritty mind-bending fantasy, set in a world where delusion becomes reality... and the fulfillment of humanity's desires may well prove to be its undoing.… (more)

Michael R. Fletcher is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,538,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible