I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I Let You Go (2014)

by Clare Mackintosh

The Night Following by Morag Joss (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these haunting psychological suspense novels, hit and run accidents are the catalysts for a cycle of boundary-blurring obsession and grief. Though the plots and the character relationships differ in these complex novels, both offer absorbing reads.… (more)

English (114)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (117)
I really enjoyed this psychological thriller. It all begins when a young boy has been killed in a hit and run automobile accident. The mother then disappears. Jenna Grey is running from something but she does not want to open up and let anyone know what it is. Finally the police find her. There are a few twists in the story that you may not see coming. I figured out some of them, but others were a surprise. I can't wait to read more from this author. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Which book do we define as a good one? Every time I ask myself this same question and my answers are not the same, yet every time I read a book that sweeps me and makes my heart pounding, I know I got at least part of the answer. A good book is the one which will surprise you against all the odds. It is a book that everything you thought you knew happening will change without hinting at the truth.

So that's what happened to me with this one.
The book divided into two parts. The first part entirely predictable and without too much action. A five-year-old boy whose mother leaves for a second is killed in a "hit and run."

And that is when Jenna comes in. She is a young woman who runs away from everything and wants to start a new life. But Genet is not what we think she is, and for a moment I didn't suspect her at all. Therefore, while we discover the second part begins, you enter a whirlwind of senses and adrenaline rush that makes your heart beat faster. That was the moment I couldn't take the book off my hands anymore.

Besides, we also have the investigator responsible for conducting the investigation. He is married with two teenage children. The investigator wife left behind a glorious career to take care of her family and raise her children. Alongside the investigator, begins to work a young and beautiful investigator that makes him feel confused and attracted to her.

Throughout the reading of the book, I begged the author; please don't let me down. Please don't make him stumble; that he won't betray his wife.

Well, I won't tell you what happened next. Read it for yourself!!!

all in all, it's a great book. ( )
  Johenlvinson | Jan 13, 2019 |
This story takes place after a horrible car accident. Jenna Gray ends up in a small Welsh town trying to escape the memory of the accident, and the loss of her child. She meets a few nice people but doesn't ever reveal her past to them. She wakes in nightmares of the accident and can't seem to fully escape. She starts to heal by walking along the beach and taking pictures of words she draws in the sand.

The other part of the story revolves around the Bristol police officers who were on the case of the car accident. They have been searching for a year for the driver who fled the scene of the accident, but the case has gone cold. One officer cannot let it go and continues to search for leads to mkght bring the town some peace.

This was a pretty good book. After reading quite a few duds in a row, I was relieved for finally read a book that I wanted to stay up late to finish. There are quite a few surprises in this book that you don't see coming and I think the story is well written. (well - the author uses the word fortnight a few too many times, but I digress).

The plot twist is worth this book. It takes a while to get there, but I think that is what makes it so good. You are SURE you know where the story is going until.....it turns completely around. I was so intrigued and surprised, and I finished the book in 2 days just because I had to see what the end was going to be.

I encourage you to read this one. It is a mystery, thriller and I promise you won't be disappointed. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was a book that I honestly thought was just about a grieving mother, then the twist comes and it becomes so different. Well done author!!!! ( )
  Bethgarvinloflin1 | Dec 18, 2018 |
Jenna Gray escapes to an island in Wales to start a new life following a car accident that killed a young boy. She just starts to get comfortable in her new life when her world is turned upside down. This psychological/mystery/thriller will keep you guessing even after you have read the last pages. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |

Schepmann, PhilippSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorpe, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alex
The wind flicks wet hair across her face, and she screws up her eyes against the rain.

A tragic accident. A past you can't escape.

It all happened so quickly.
She couldn't have prevented it.
Could she?

In a split-second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows, to start afresh. Desperate to escape, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of a cruel November night that changed her life for ever.

Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating...

-- I Let You Go At the same time, the novel tracks the pair of Bristol police investigators trying to get to the bottom of this hit-and-run. As they chase down one hopeless lead after another, they find themselves as drawn to each other as they are to the frustrating, twist-filled case before them. Elizabeth Haynes, author of Into the Darkest Corner *Peter James, author of Want You Dead From the Hardcover edition.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,348,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible