I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I Let You Go

by Clare Mackintosh

English (88)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (90)
Chilling. I don't usually bother trying to work out whodunnit, but I didn't need to try for this one because the plot was obvious from very early on so it was just a matter of letting it play out.

Domestic abuse is not a topic I read, and although this novel was a page-turner, the details were so harrowing that I stopped reading with about forty pages remaining. It will take someone braver than I to finish it. ( )
  VivienneR | Sep 27, 2017 |
The crime, a fatal hit and run that killed a five year old boy.
Covered from several points of view we follow the detectives in their frustrating search for the driver. Clare Mackintosh cleverly creates several threads that appear to connect in one way but then...beware of making assumptions.

The tension increases as the story arcs begin to coalesce.

A well written British detective novel that avoids all the standard cliches. ( )
  Robert3167 | Sep 26, 2017 |
In this unforgettable and deeply moving novel, Jenna Gray's life is catapulted into chaos one rainy night in November. To try to survive her nightmare, she escapes to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast. But her past never stays truly hidden, and she is plagued by what happened and the choices she made, even though she tries to heal from her mistakes. When Jenna finally sees hope on her horizon, the horrors of her past catch up with her in a startling twist. I had to read the second half of this novel in one sitting, because the twists were so unpredictable and haunting I was completely hooked! I highly recommend this captivating novel!

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I gave it three stars but maybe it's four. I was engrossed but there were some stylistic choices I didn't like and some of the characters were a bit cardboardish. But good story. ( )
  nautilus | Sep 20, 2017 |
After letting go of his mother's hand, five-year-old Jacob is killed in a hit and run accident on his way home from school. His mother is devastated and can't stop wondering what would have happened if she hadn't let him go. Jenna, desperate to put the terrible event behind her, finds her way to a small village in Wales. The isolation of a rundown cottage on the Welsh coast is exactly what she needs. But the past has a way of catching up with everyone, and it’s not long before Jenna discovers that herself.

The story is told in two parts. Part one describes the accident, Jenna's reaction, and the guilt she feels. Part two is completely different. Told alternately from Jenna’s point of view, and then the police investigating the accident, I found I was unable to put the book down. To say anymore would spoil the book for interested readers.

I was completely engaged by this audio. The author had some incredible plot twists. It starts off as a slow burning story with some overly dramatic parts but at a certain point I no longer cared. The many twists and turns will kept me fascinated by the story. There is an unnecessary romantic subplot between the two detectives investigating the hit and run that could easily have been left out, but I have no trouble giving it five stars because I was so intrigued by the concept. I recently read Mackintosh's second novel, I See You, and highly recommend both to fans of psychological thrillers.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |

Martin, Thomas BalouSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schepmann, PhilippSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, RainerÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alex
The wind flicks wet hair across her face, and she screws up her eyes against the rain.

A tragic accident. A past you can't escape.

It all happened so quickly.
She couldn't have prevented it.
Could she?

In a split-second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows, to start afresh. Desperate to escape, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of a cruel November night that changed her life for ever.

Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,658,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible