My Dog Skip by Willie Morris

My Dog Skip (1995)

by Willie Morris

Well, this is about what you'd expect in a memoir about a boy and his dog....lots of grand memories of freedom and summer afternoons, with boyhood highjinks accompanied and enhanced by an unforgettable canine sidekick and extremely accommodating adults. And, of course, the inevitable poignancy of all good things ending. Still, 3 stars is about all I can give it, for I found it very episodic, with no narrative arc whatsoever.
March 2016 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Mar 30, 2016 |
Fun, light read about a boy and his dog - how they grow up together and their many adventures. Poignant and heart-warming. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
The people who love this book--and lots and lots do--I'm practically unique in failing to be charmed--call this "sweet" and "charming." It's about a dog, Skip, who Willie Morris got as a gift at nine-years-old in 1943. And more than that, it's about his life growing up with his dog in Mississippi. I guess I kept waiting for a plot to show up. But this isn't To Kill a Mockingbird. Or Sounder. Or anything I could find that resembled a plot. I think this is too... gentle a story for the likes of me. Too anecdotal. With prose called "spare" in the blurbs I found just too simplistic. And for me the book was about as exciting as being taken through someone else's family album. If there was any conflict (which is just about the definition of plot) I surely missed it. At least at 118 pages it was short. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 2, 2012 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 15, 2011 |
I wanted to love this book, but I came away from reading it wondering what all the fuss was about. A good and gentle story of a good and gentle dog and his good and gentle boy. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
To Anne-Clinton and Winston Groom, to their dog Forrest Gump - and to everyone else who ever loved a dog
I came across a photograph of him not long ago, his black face with the long snout sniffing at something in the air, his tail straight and pointing, his eyes flashing in some momentary excitement.

Now a major motion picture form Warner Brothers, starring Kevin Bacon, Diane Lane, Luke Wilson, Frankie Muniz, and "Eddie" from the TV show Frasier (as Skip), and produced by Mark Johnson (Rain Man).

In 1943 in a sleepy town on the banks of the Yazoo River, a boy fell in love with a puppy with a lively gait and an intellingent way of listening.  The two grew up together having the most wonderful adventures.  A classic story of a boy, a dog, and small-town America, My Dog Skip belongs on the same shelf as The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Russell Baker's Growing Up.  It will enchant readers of all ages for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible