The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

The Library at Mount Char (edition 2016)

by Scott Hawkins (Author)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Library at Mount Char
Authors:Scott Hawkins (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2016), 400 pages

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

The Magicians by Lev Grossman (TFleet)
    TFleet: Both novels are centered in the modern real world, but with a set of young adults who have magical powers. The novels are different takes on the question, "What would the modern real world be like if there were magic?"
    Lexicon by Max Barry (TFleet)
    TFleet: Both novels feature a female protagonist, whose ability with language is crucial, in a life-and-death struggle with antagonists of greater power.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: Hawkins' style reminds me of Neil Gaiman.
    Duplex: A Novel by Kathryn Davis (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Unnerving and strange, dark literary writing that follows no rules.

~Superheroes, which I hate, but very charmingly done. Along the lines of American Gods . . . but with an all-new and pretty interesting mythical framework. ( )
  ehines | May 1, 2017 |
I believe the technical term for this is "gonzo." ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 21, 2017 |
Minor Spoilers

Solid new fantasy. I'm looking forward to what this guy does next. But in my humble opinion, any book where the main character calls and makes demands of the president lands comfortably on the "young" side of young adult. ( )
  dwkenefick | Apr 20, 2017 |
Easily has become one of my favorite books of all time, after becoming intrigued by the title when I saw it on a library shelf. The most unique book I have every read, seems impossible to pigeonhole into one category or tell someone what this book reminds me of. Ranging between funny, horrifying, heartbreaking and astonishing, you will not be able to put it down.

I recommend this book to anyone, regardless of what genre you are a fan of, there will be something for you to love. And the characters are some of you will never forget. ( )
  kjor0903 | Apr 18, 2017 |

Such a delightful romp! Enchanting! Heartwarming! Playful!
Nope. Not in the slightest. I still liked it hugely.

This is hands-down the oddest fantasy novel I've ever read. Best one-line description of the plot: a god passing his powers to the next generation, which he built through some of the most awful shenanigans you can imagine, such that this power transfer is not even close to smooth.

It's mostly black comedy, mixed with some truly horrific imagery (you could call it horror, yes), and a bizarro plot that meanders for literally 2/3 of the book, and then solidifies itself during the final pages. All in service to a strange concept that doesn't look like it's going to have an ending that we appreciate. Also, that 2/3 mark? That's when the book seems to strangely... end. Only to start up again.

Yes, I'm recommending this, but with lots of caveats. Bear with it? No, that's not really it. It's engaging from the get-go. Take a chance? There are enough mini-stories being told very well that there's no chance to take. Forget about the plot and just take the journey Hawkins gives to you? Yes, go with that approach and I think you'll enjoy it as much as I did. ( )
  khage | Apr 11, 2017 |

Scott Hawkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sweet-natured and extremely patient wife, Heather, with much love and many thanks.
Carolyn, blood-drenched and barefoot, walked alone down the two-lane stretch of blacktop that the Americans called Highway 78.

Neil Gaiman meets Joe Hill in this astonishingly original, terrifying, and darkly funny contemporary fantasy.

Carolyn's not so different from the other human beings around her. She's sure of it. She likes guacamole and cigarettes and steak. She knows how to use a phone. She even remembers what clothes are for.

After all, she was a normal American herself, once.

That was a long time ago, of course--before the time she calls "adoption day," when she and a dozen other children found themselves being raised by a man they learned to call Father.

Father could do strange things. He could call light from darkness. Sometimes he raised the dead. And when he was disobeyed, the consequences were terrible.

In the years since Father took her in, Carolyn hasn't gotten out much. Instead, she and her adopted siblings have been raised according to Father's ancient Pelapi customs. They've studied the books in his library and learned some of the secrets behind his equally ancient power.

Sometimes, they've wondered if their cruel tutor might secretly be God.

Now, Father is missing. And if God truly is dead, the only thing that matters is who will inherit his library--and with it, power over all of creation.

As Carolyn gathers the tools she needs for the battle to come, fierce competitors for this prize align against her.

But Carolyn can win. She's sure of it. What she doesn't realize is that her victory may come at an unacceptable price--because in becoming a God, she's forgotten a great deal about being human.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Scott Hawkins's book The Library at Mount Char is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Scott Hawkins's book The Library at Mount Char was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Scott Hawkins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,426,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible