The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

The Library at Mount Char (edition 2016)

by Scott Hawkins (Author)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Library at Mount Char
Authors:Scott Hawkins (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2016), 400 pages

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

The Magicians by Lev Grossman (TFleet)
    TFleet: Both novels are centered in the modern real world, but with a set of young adults who have magical powers. The novels are different takes on the question, "What would the modern real world be like if there were magic?"
    Lexicon by Max Barry (TFleet)
    TFleet: Both novels feature a female protagonist, whose ability with language is crucial, in a life-and-death struggle with antagonists of greater power.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: Hawkins' style reminds me of Neil Gaiman.
    Duplex: A Novel by Kathryn Davis (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Unnerving and strange, dark literary writing that follows no rules.

This was not what I expected and yet it turned out like I hoped. God is missing and his children are looking for him.

This was good, a bit dark but enjoyable. Don't read if you don't like a lot of violence and graphic detail. But do read if you like non-stop action. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
5 stars isn't enough for this book. It deserves one trillion stars. I've never read ANYTHING like this. This is incredibly good. This...man, this book is incredible. Read it. JUST READ IT. ( )
  AmelLou | Jan 18, 2017 |
Dark, violent and weird as hell. I'm smitten.
Detailed review to follow soon (if I find words). ( )
  vira_t | Dec 2, 2016 |
I think I have hit my favorite genre, a genre I call Science Fiction Horror. I would put Daniel O'Malley's Chequey series in this category, as well. Humans vs nonhumans with a touch of needing to cover your eyes every now and again.

Carolyn seems like a normal young lady on the surface, as do her siblings. However, once you start to unravel the ties of the relationships with her "family", you see that there is something very other-worldly going on here. Father, Steve, Erwin, and the twelve librarians all have quite interesting histories. Histories that have prepared them for this moment of convergence.

"Library" had me from the very first page. It was gripping, taught, and very well crafted. As the pieces started to come together at the end, I found myself wanting more pages, simply so I could enjoy it longer. I will now search for others by this author.

Recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Dec 2, 2016 |
This is the singular most unique story I've read in my entire life.

It's a dash of magical realism, a bit of bizarre fantasy, even slightly apocalyptic and scifi. Twin Peaks meets American Horror Story meets Stranger Things? I spent the first 100 pages fumbling around the story because the characters and the plot are absurd to the point that I had absolutely no point of reference with which to anchor myself. But cling on, because the most magnificent story will unfold, and at a certain point, it will hit you and crush you with emotion.

I cried and laughed, and then cried and laughed at the fact that I cried and laughed because this story is batshit crazy in book form. Carolyn, the heroine, is beyond badass, and she's a bookworm... of a sort... is the only proper way to put it. And you will love Steve, who is basically the reader — a confused bystander (or is he?) who's suddenly thrust in a shitstorm of insanity and is constantly like "WTF?!" This is a story of gods that are villains, war against each other, cause the sun to disappear, and an otherworldly Library with books that control reality. Cults made of gods in training who live in a mysterious neighbourhood off a highway, study "catalogs" filled with powers, and speak a strange language. The characters are bound by fate, hate, retribution, guilt, revenge, and love. Nothing in this story is random; every event and person serves a purpose and you'll be awestruck. Even the title of the book itself is an enigma. You don't know until the very end what "Mount Char" means, and it wrenched my heart apart and tore it to shreds. ( )
1 vote wildrequiem | Nov 23, 2016 |

Scott Hawkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sweet-natured and extremely patient wife, Heather, with much love and many thanks.
Carolyn, blood-drenched and barefoot, walked alone down the two-lane stretch of blacktop that the Americans called Highway 78.

Neil Gaiman meets Joe Hill in this astonishingly original, terrifying, and darkly funny contemporary fantasy.

Carolyn's not so different from the other human beings around her. She's sure of it. She likes guacamole and cigarettes and steak. She knows how to use a phone. She even remembers what clothes are for.

After all, she was a normal American herself, once.

That was a long time ago, of course--before the time she calls "adoption day," when she and a dozen other children found themselves being raised by a man they learned to call Father.

Father could do strange things. He could call light from darkness. Sometimes he raised the dead. And when he was disobeyed, the consequences were terrible.

In the years since Father took her in, Carolyn hasn't gotten out much. Instead, she and her adopted siblings have been raised according to Father's ancient Pelapi customs. They've studied the books in his library and learned some of the secrets behind his equally ancient power.

Sometimes, they've wondered if their cruel tutor might secretly be God.

Now, Father is missing. And if God truly is dead, the only thing that matters is who will inherit his library--and with it, power over all of creation.

As Carolyn gathers the tools she needs for the battle to come, fierce competitors for this prize align against her.

But Carolyn can win. She's sure of it. What she doesn't realize is that her victory may come at an unacceptable price--because in becoming a God, she's forgotten a great deal about being human.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

120 wanted1 pay1 pay

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible