The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch by Chris…

The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch

by Chris Barton

John Roy Lynch was half Irish and half slave as the book refers to it. His father was in charge of slaves from a master. He was not able to free them because he did not own them. When his father died he left them a lot of money and a note stating he wanted them freed. The master did not, instead he sold them to another master. John was required to serve for Mrs. Davis. Mrs. Davis made him do everything for her. Finally the civil war had come and Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves so they could help fight. John finally was free when he sold a chicken in return for crossing the river to freedom. He became a waiter, then a cook and then a better paid pantry man on the union transport. While there Abraham Lincoln had died and all the white sailors were united. This freedom soon was taken by Mississippi's whites, they made them slaves again just calling them different things. He finally became an elected member and spoke on the floor of the House of Representatives about how we finally can be the land of the free and the home of the brave. He never did get to see this dream come to life. Genre: Illustrated Nonfiction ( )
  Josh2018 | Mar 17, 2018 |
John Roy Lynch was considered to be a half Irish and all slave teenager who in only ten years time became a U.S. Congressmen. The majority of his story takes place during the Reconstruction Period. This was a time where slaves were free and the slave owners hated the fact that their former slaves acted as if they were equal with the whites. John Roy was an active member and speaker of Natchez Republican Club, appointed justice of the peace for Natchez, elected House of Rep. in Mississippi, at twenty-five he was then elected for the U.S. House of Rep. and died in Chicago working on his autobiography. I don't know if its just me but there were some parts in the book that were worded weirdly making it a bit difficult to comprehend. The artwork was simple yet conveyed what the author wrote. ( )
  AdaezeaU | Jan 28, 2018 |
The book "The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch" is a biography about John Roy Lynch and how he was half Irish and "all slave". John Roy Lynch was a slave for most of his childhood until the Emancipation Proclamation was enforced. Many people in the South were mad about the proclamation, but John Roy Lynch developed extremely well in the new age. John Roy Lynch became a waiter, then he went to being a cook, and later a well-payed pantryman on the Altamont. After the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, Lynch left the boat and took a job as a messenger for a portrait shop in Mississppi. Nothing in Mississippi was different then it was when slavery was still okay. Instead of people calling African-Americans slaves they called them "Apprentices", "Vagrants", of "Convicts", so that they wouldn't get caught. When John saw this he thought that it was terrible and went to the new governor, General Adelbert Ames, about it. Ames was so impressed by Lynch's points that he made him Justice of the Peace. Soon after Lynch was elected to the Mississippi House of Representatives as Speaker of the House. Later on he was elected into the United States Congress and made sure that people like him were actually free.

I enjoyed reading this book there was so many fascinating things that happen in this book. I was extremely fascinated when the book said that Lynch had been elected into the United States House of Representatives. The illustrations in the book were fabulous and they went along perfectly with the amazing facts. Each illustration in the book showed so much emotion, it was like I new everything he was feeling at that moment. The book was fabulous but I would prefer to see more dates in the book to know what year each event occurred in. Overall it was a fantastic book, which i would rate three and half stars. ( )
  LoganGB2 | Jan 18, 2018 |
A picture book that tells about the life of John Roy Lynch, former slave turned US Congressman. It tells a honest and sometimes brutal story of life right before, during and after the civil war. While not leaving out the bad things that people did I felt that this book did include important details of that time and history. It would be a good book for an elementary school. ( )
  TiffaneyF. | Jul 18, 2017 |
John Roy Lynch lived a life worth writing about and his story was brought to life in a fantastic book that I recommend. I enjoy being exposed to stories of Americans that detail the truth about how harsh society is to people. I can talk to a class about the plight of African Americans in the late 19th century and the issues may not connect. Well, this book covers every issue that is relevant to talking about pre-and post-Civil War America through a person that lived it. The detail is evident from the cover. A well-dressed smiling man with a riverboat and carriages. I know when and where we are before I opened the book. The illustrator, Don Tate, did a masterclass that I would say is detailed simplicity. I liked that the people are drawn with a style that you would see in comic book. Mr. Tate covered topics from medicine, slavery, war, love, family, reconstruction, and politics with respect. None of the illustrations are similar and have some flair. My favorite is how the House of Representatives is drawn in an arc. I could spend an hour talking about that decision alone.
The book is well written. I like that the author, Chris Barton, worded the narrative from a specific point of view. This is noted on the page where John is fanning Mrs. Davis when he includes a line that gives you an informed insight. This was insight into Mrs. Davis’s reality and John’s reality. Like she, I was “grateful for the privilege” this detail gave me. This is a great book. John’s life is worth sharing with a class and I think its relatable to today’s culture. It’s a simple read that could be done in a few minutes. It offers so many direction due to the words that were chosen. Like slavery, Natchez, Altamont, Lincoln, and many more. It’s like a gold mine for historians.
This is a great book with lots of features. It’s an illustrated biography with a detailed historical note that covers heavier information in more detail. A timeline that is detailed with the story of the U.S. and John overlapping is great. I appreciated having two different colors so I could focus on how one action affected the next. I like that at the end, the book included a map to visualize this journey. The end. ( )
  S.Johnson | May 10, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080285379X, Hardcover)

John Roy Lynch spent most of his childhood as a slave in Mississippi, but all of that changed with the Emancipation Proclamation. Suddenly people like John Roy could have paying jobs and attend school. While many people in the South were unhappy with the social change, John Roy thrived in the new era. He was appointed to serve as justice of the peace and was eventually elected into the United States Congress.

This biography, with its informative backmatter and splendid illustrations, gives readers an in-depth look at the Reconstruction period through the life of one of the fi rst African-American congressmen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:18 -0400)

"A picture book biography of John Roy Lynch, one of the first African-Americans elected into the United States Congress"--Provided by publisher.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chris Barton's book The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,993,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible