The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch by Chris…

The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch

by Chris Barton

A picture book bio of sorts about John Roy Lynch who was born into slavery, but within ten years went from field slave to U.S. Congressman. The tail end of slavery thru Reconstruction is covered. The time period is of major focus whereas John Roy Lynch serves as a tour guide/access point for presenting information about the trials of Reconstruction. ( )
  JacquelineWelsh | Feb 21, 2017 |
Grade Level: 4th grade and up
This book is about John Roy who became the African American elected into the United States Congress.The book begins with his life during his days on the plantation. John's mother was a salve and his father was a Caucasian overseer, after his father bought his mother and siblings they were supposed to be freed but his father died before it happened. John grew up a servant and did not become a free man until after the civil war. Once he became a free man he learned how to read, became a photographer, and speaker of the Mississippi House of Representatives. In 1872, he became the first African American Elected into the United States House of Representatives.
I would use this book in my classroom during black history month to teach the students about an African american historical figure. ( )
  clarionb | Nov 9, 2016 |
This book had a lot of information on John Roy Lynch and the history of events. I liked this book because of the great details as it explained his journey throughout history. I also enjoyed the pictures a lot as well. I can see why this picture book made Texas bluebonnet for 2016-2017. If I have to teach history then I will for sure but this book to read to my students if it's the appropriate grade level. ( )
  Ash13276 | Oct 28, 2016 |
A historical biography on the first black man elected into the United States Congress is a brighter take on the harsh realities that took place after blacks were "freed." An outstanding story that places the spotlight on John Roy's past and his come up on becoming a political figure. A great addition to any lessons about slavery, segregation, or what happened after the civil war. ( )
  maturne2 | Oct 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My fourth grader and I loved this book. It was a fantastic, interesting read and brought up lots of questions. He was a truly remarkable man. I love the accomplishments and determination he had to make a success of himself. I will be adding this to my Slavery/Antebellum Unit. Great Book! ( )
  grnpickle | Feb 7, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080285379X, Hardcover)

John Roy Lynch spent most of his childhood as a slave in Mississippi, but all of that changed with the Emancipation Proclamation. Suddenly people like John Roy could have paying jobs and attend school. While many people in the South were unhappy with the social change, John Roy thrived in the new era. He was appointed to serve as justice of the peace and was eventually elected into the United States Congress.

This biography, with its informative backmatter and splendid illustrations, gives readers an in-depth look at the Reconstruction period through the life of one of the fi rst African-American congressmen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:18 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,306,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible