dismiss

The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch by Chris…

The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch

by Chris Barton

"A picture book biography of John Roy Lynch, one of the first African-Americans elected into the United States Congress"--Provided by publisher.

John Roy Lynch was born of an Irish man and a slave, meaning he was a slave. This book follows his journey from a slave to a member of the House of Representatives who fought for equal treatment for everyone. The illustrations are my favorite part of the book. sure to capture anyone's attention. This book would be good for a history lesson because while it goes through stages of John's life, it gives history on what was going on in the United States at the time. I do think this book would be good for younger audiences. ( )
  Haley_dennis | Jan 22, 2020 |
As a young boy, John Roy Lynch served as a house slave at a plantation. One day, he was sent to do hard labor in the cotton fields. During this time, Abraham Lincoln became president and declared that slaves would be free. John Roy Lynch then moved to Natchez where he began to reveal in the promises of freedom. John Roy Lynch was later elected to the Mississippi House of Representatives to help govern the whole state. Later that year, at the age of 25, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. This biography, in my opinion, would be better for older children because the storyline gives a lot of extra information that could make it confusing to understand what John Roy Lynch was really known for. ( )
  H_Miller | Jan 20, 2020 |
This is the story of a man who went from being a slave to being a U.S. Congressman in just 10 years. There are very few books about the Reconstruction era for young people, especially when you compare it to the amazing wealth of books about slavery and the Civil Rights Movement. So, this book fills a very important void. There is a lot to like about it- the straightforward language and lighthearted illustrations. I wish that the additional information given in the afterward was incorporated into the text. Sometimes the individual story of John Roy is too narrow and I want there to be more context. I think this book will raise a lot of questions for kids, and I wish I had more resources to give them to learn more. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
Amazing book, I learned so much of what I need to read more about our US History. The events of John Roy Lynch's life from being a toddler to his 20's were full of just enough detail to talk about the context of how his life was impacted by a period in History marked by war slavery and change. The illustration and writings are enough details to develop a lesson about many other subjects: emotions, war, civil rights, freedom. I wish this was a series. ( )
  Racquelhayes | Oct 27, 2018 |
John Roy Lynch was half Irish and half slave as the book refers to it. His father was in charge of slaves from a master. He was not able to free them because he did not own them. When his father died he left them a lot of money and a note stating he wanted them freed. The master did not, instead he sold them to another master. John was required to serve for Mrs. Davis. Mrs. Davis made him do everything for her. Finally the civil war had come and Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves so they could help fight. John finally was free when he sold a chicken in return for crossing the river to freedom. He became a waiter, then a cook and then a better paid pantry man on the union transport. While there Abraham Lincoln had died and all the white sailors were united. This freedom soon was taken by Mississippi's whites, they made them slaves again just calling them different things. He finally became an elected member and spoke on the floor of the House of Representatives about how we finally can be the land of the free and the home of the brave. He never did get to see this dream come to life. Genre: Illustrated Nonfiction ( )
  Josh2018 | Mar 17, 2018 |

Chris Bartonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tate, DonIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sam Bond PhotographyAuthor photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jenny, for our own amazing age.

– C. B.
To Rita Painter and Rachel McInnes, two amazing library divas

– D. T.
John Roy Lynch had an Irish father and an enslaved mother.
When every man, woman, and child can feel and know that his, her, and their rights are fully protected by the strong arm of a generous and grateful Republic, than we can all truthfully say that this beautiful land of ours, over which the Star Spangled Banner so triumphantly waves, is, in truth and in fact, the “land of the free and the home of the brave.”  – John Roy Lynch, from a speech made on the floor of  the U. S. House of Representatives in support of the 1875 Civil Rights Act.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chris Barton's book The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,667,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible