The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch by Chris…

The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch

by Chris Barton

6320188,983 (4.17)None

A picture book that tells about the life of John Roy Lynch, former slave turned US Congressman. It tells a honest and sometimes brutal story of life right before, during and after the civil war. While not leaving out the bad things that people did I felt that this book did include important details of that time and history. It would be a good book for an elementary school. ( )
  TiffaneyF. | Jul 18, 2017 |
John Roy Lynch lived a life worth writing about and his story was brought to life in a fantastic book that I recommend. I enjoy being exposed to stories of Americans that detail the truth about how harsh society is to people. I can talk to a class about the plight of African Americans in the late 19th century and the issues may not connect. Well, this book covers every issue that is relevant to talking about pre-and post-Civil War America through a person that lived it. The detail is evident from the cover. A well-dressed smiling man with a riverboat and carriages. I know when and where we are before I opened the book. The illustrator, Don Tate, did a masterclass that I would say is detailed simplicity. I liked that the people are drawn with a style that you would see in comic book. Mr. Tate covered topics from medicine, slavery, war, love, family, reconstruction, and politics with respect. None of the illustrations are similar and have some flair. My favorite is how the House of Representatives is drawn in an arc. I could spend an hour talking about that decision alone.
The book is well written. I like that the author, Chris Barton, worded the narrative from a specific point of view. This is noted on the page where John is fanning Mrs. Davis when he includes a line that gives you an informed insight. This was insight into Mrs. Davis’s reality and John’s reality. Like she, I was “grateful for the privilege” this detail gave me. This is a great book. John’s life is worth sharing with a class and I think its relatable to today’s culture. It’s a simple read that could be done in a few minutes. It offers so many direction due to the words that were chosen. Like slavery, Natchez, Altamont, Lincoln, and many more. It’s like a gold mine for historians.
This is a great book with lots of features. It’s an illustrated biography with a detailed historical note that covers heavier information in more detail. A timeline that is detailed with the story of the U.S. and John overlapping is great. I appreciated having two different colors so I could focus on how one action affected the next. I like that at the end, the book included a map to visualize this journey. The end. ( )
  S.Johnson | May 10, 2017 |
The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch is about a man whose mother was a black slave and his father was white overseer. The story starts off when John was a young boy. His father lacked the power to change the law. His family was supposed to be freed but his father died and now John had to grow up being a servant until after the Civil War. Now that he was a free man, he learned many new things and he became a great photographer, and he even began running the place by himself. Overtime, he became the Speaker of Mississippi House of Representatives. John Lynch became the first African American to be elected into the United States House of Representatives in 1872. This is a great book to show how much John Lynch overcame in his lifetime. Losing a father, being a servant, Lincoln being assassinated, etc. Also, this book would teach kids about slaves, Civil War and President Lincoln. This would be a great read for a social studies class and kids would learn a lot. The illustrations are great also. The show lots of emotion when the father dies, when they are freed and when Lincoln is assassinated. I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  cmsmit12 | Apr 12, 2017 |
A picture book bio of sorts about John Roy Lynch who was born into slavery, but within ten years went from field slave to U.S. Congressman. The tail end of slavery thru Reconstruction is covered. The time period is of major focus whereas John Roy Lynch serves as a tour guide/access point for presenting information about the trials of Reconstruction. ( )
  JacquelineWelsh | Feb 21, 2017 |
Grade Level: 4th grade and up
This book is about John Roy who became the African American elected into the United States Congress.The book begins with his life during his days on the plantation. John's mother was a salve and his father was a Caucasian overseer, after his father bought his mother and siblings they were supposed to be freed but his father died before it happened. John grew up a servant and did not become a free man until after the civil war. Once he became a free man he learned how to read, became a photographer, and speaker of the Mississippi House of Representatives. In 1872, he became the first African American Elected into the United States House of Representatives.
I would use this book in my classroom during black history month to teach the students about an African american historical figure. ( )
  clarionb | Nov 9, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080285379X, Hardcover)

John Roy Lynch spent most of his childhood as a slave in Mississippi, but all of that changed with the Emancipation Proclamation. Suddenly people like John Roy could have paying jobs and attend school. While many people in the South were unhappy with the social change, John Roy thrived in the new era. He was appointed to serve as justice of the peace and was eventually elected into the United States Congress.

This biography, with its informative backmatter and splendid illustrations, gives readers an in-depth look at the Reconstruction period through the life of one of the fi rst African-American congressmen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:18 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chris Barton's book The Amazing Age of John Roy Lynch was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,065,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible