Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections…

by Rob Bell

Member:Ben_Borne
Title:Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections between Sexuality and Spirituality
Authors:Rob Bell
Info:Zondervan (2008), Paperback, 208 pages
Tags:Sexuality, Spirituality

Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections between Sexuality and Spirituality by Rob Bell

Not your typical relationship book, and DEFINITELY not your typical Christian relationship book. I have enjoyed reading Bell's books and look forward to the next one. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
Relax, folks, this is not a call to worship Yahweh like some kind of fertility idol. It’s just another of Bell’s weird book titles.

I’m a Bell fan, but I confess this wasn’t one of my favorites. If we’re gonna talk about this stuff, well, there are lots of interesting passages in the Bible about sex, sexuality, and the sexes. But Bell ignores all the interesting discussion, and zeroes in on two basic themes:

1. Sex is a reality of life. We’re not animals and we’re not angels. (I’d argue that we’re both, but I’ll save that for another time). The Bible says we’re higher than the animals, and we’re higher than the angels! Sex should not degenerate into animalistic urges, but neither should we pretend we’re sexless beings like angels. It’s a special, if confusing, gift.

2. But don’t do it until you’re ready for marriage. In the Bible, sex was the final, binding act of a marriage. It is not the ceremony that joins two people together forever, it is the carnal act, and this is God’s way.

Bell plays more of the role of a pastor than a teacher in this book, so I found it less interesting than his other works. But maybe it’s just what you’re looking for. ( )
  DubiousDisciple | Dec 14, 2012 |
An analysis of the connections between sexuality and Christianity.

The author does well at showing how modern views of sexuality and the goal of sexuality in modern culture really involves yearnings and desires that are far deeper.

He shows well how marriage and sex were always intended to be a physical representation of the spiritual connections that ought to exist between a human and his God and his fellow man.

Controversial often, but compelling throughout. If one can stomach the title and the explored associations, it's worth the read. ( )
  deusvitae | Nov 2, 2011 |
Tries too hard. Some great thoughts and the beginnings of many wonderful conversations, but not a worthy book. ( )
  Tpoi | Aug 10, 2011 |
Extremely interesting it provoked many wonderful thoughts and it enjoyed much more than his book " Jesus Wants to Save Christians. My only criticism is that I wish he had gone into more detail with almost everything. Regardless this should be read by everyone though! ( )
  aevaughn | Jun 14, 2010 |

Introduction: This is Really about That Chapter One: God Wears Lipstick Chapter Two: Sexy on the Inside Chapter Three: Angels and Animals Chapter Four: Leather, Whips, and Fruit Chapter Five: She Ran into the Girls' Bathroom Chapter Six: Worth Dying For Chapter Seven: Under the Chuppah Chapter Eight: Johnny and June Chapter Nine: Whoopee Forever Epilogue: More Balloons, Please Endnotes/Resources/Discussion

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:43 -0400)

"Bell raises the bar with this evocative follow-up to last year's bestseller Velvet Elvis. "Is sex a picture of heaven?" he wonders. It's all about God and sex and heaven, he says: "They're connected. And they can't be separated. Where the one is you will always find the other." Bell's book isn't a sex manual, an exploration of the differences between men and women or a marriage how-to, though all of that is here. Instead, it's the story of God becoming human, of humans mirroring God and love made manifest in the chaos of our humanity. Sex God is about relationships revealed in a way that elevates the human condition and offers hope to those whose relationships are wounded. In Bell's spare, somewhat oblique style, he addresses lust, respect, denial, risk, acceptance and more. His love for God and the Bible is clear, as is his ability to ask probing questions and offer answers that make readers think deeply about their own lives. He does a fine job using the Bible and real life to show that our physical relationships are really about spiritual relationships. This book joyfully ties, and then tightens, the knot between God and humankind" -- Publishers Weekly.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Zondervan

Two editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 0310263468, 0310280672

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,819 books! | Top bar: Always visible