Three Twisted Stories by Karin Slaughter

Three Twisted Stories

by Karin Slaughter

172587,099 (4)None

Karin Slaughter normally writes crowd-pleasing, commercial mainstream thrillers which I rarely find too interesting. So I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Three Twisted Stories, especially the longest of them, Go Deep. It’s a wickedly witty depiction of justified retribution visited upon an utterly deserving, thoroughly despicable, unreconstructed chauvinist pig.

Set three or four decades ago, Go Deep is told from the perspective of Charlie Lam – a crook, a cheat, a bully and a bit of a brute. Lam is a coward at heart; a misanthrope as much as he is a misogynist. Slaughter deftly draws a portrait of his blustering, egocentric existence, and then drives a cart and horses straight through it.

A less inventive author might’ve chosen to deliver Lam’s come-uppance in purely physical terms, but Slaughter neatly introduces a surreal, otherworldly angle to the action and plays with the nature of perception. You’ll need to read it yourself to experience the twist; along the way you’ll encounter explicit scenes of a sexual nature and some risqué writing of the type I’d never before associated Karin Slaughter. This is weird and a little bit warped: no wonder I liked it.

Necessary Women is equally perverse, but is a more typical short story shocker. It’s a carefully choreographed example of backwoods noir where the reader is led by the nose to a sudden ending which has the eye-watering impact of a sudden slap in the face. Again, not for the easily offended.

The final tale was my least favourite although it’s a tour de force in stylised stunt-writing. It’s also the most lighthearted of the trio, where the story of mystery, murder and malfeasance are ditzily delivered by a character who’d feel right at home in a Janet Evanovich romp. It’s a total page-turner, too, where the episodic nature of the narrator’s reports keeps the reader galloping onwards. Yet while I admired the undoubted technical merit of the writing, this story and these characters didn’t engage me.
(There's more thoughts on this anthology at:
https://murdermayhemandmore.wordpress.com/2015/08/16/three-twisted-stories-surprising-from-start-to-finish/ )

Overall, I may well look again at Karin Slaughter’s full length novels, which is probably the purpose of this collection. However, I can’t help wondering whether her more regular fans will enjoy these twisted little tales; they’re a lot more odd than the last procedural I read of hers.
7/10 ( )
  RowenaHoseason | Jun 22, 2016 |
When award-winning crime thriller author, Karin Slaughterwrites, her fans listen! When she says, “THREE TWISTED STORIES” is different, “it is”.

No worries, Karin still brings her bold, edgy, dark humor to a collection of twisted tales, with murder of course; and creativity and imagination only she can pull off!

You have to love her; being she is my favorite female crime author, and she lives and writes about Atlanta, another added bonus, since I spent most of my career there, before moving to Florida.

Three great tales wrapped in one small book – definitely worth the thrilling ride. As always, Kathleen Early delivers an outstanding performance, as well as Karin. I laughed so hard at the banter in the first one; some really good lines..

GO DEEP
This is my favorite story, by far! I wanted an entire book based on these characters. When listening to the audiobook, happened to be traveling, and sitting in a Starbucks drive thru. I was so engrossed in the book, I let another car get in front of me - literally in a trance; when I pulled up to the window the woman, stated my order was paid for by the person in front of me.Thanks, Karen for the free Café Americano and pumpkin loaf!

Charlie Lam owns an auto dealership in Atlanta, and has a wife and daughter who spends his money, and nearly seventy employees, and a girlfriend on the side. He has worked his butt off, no thanks to his mother and father. Now it is all about picking up a suit from the dry cleaners-with an important name. Simple plan, except it is not so simple. A fast paced crime story set in the seventies in Atlanta--Loved the gal at the car lot buying the mustang and the connection later!

NECESSARY WOMEN
In a town between Georgia and Alabama (I am thinking like Columbus, GA area), so can picture this setting. Dirt poor, a fourteen girl watches her mom die and of course her father is a trucker and gone for long periods of time. Prior to her mom dying he tells her mom about a boy she likes and her mom warned her to stay away, mentioning how she got pregnant and was unable to carry out her dreams, and stuck in this town; dead end jobs, and wants more for her daughter.

Now this gets a little twisted and where the dark humor comes in– you have to read it to learn what happens next - Surprise Dad, as daughter has some tricks up her sleeve. My second favorite.

REMMY ROTHSTEIN TOES THE LINE
Think Cajun and bayou, heat and Mindy, a gal searching for Remmy Rothstein. When she meets his half- brother (Jewish Buell Rabinowitz) Albino, Jewish African American, then Remmy’s mother, a nasty old woman with face hair. Then there is Remy – need I say more? Clever, funny –a hilarious search for the Longest Tongue in the World.

Wished more authors would write hallucinatory noir novellas, and short stories packaged together - so much fun.

Can't wait for upcoming PRETTY GIRLS, coming 7/21/2015.Hope I can manage to snag an ARC, as not sure I can wait! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Mar 14, 2015 |

Go Deep is a gritty, fast-paced crime story set in 1970s Atlanta. In Necessary Women, a girl abandoned by her father after her mother's death has a surprise in store for her wayward dad. In Remmy Rothstein Toes the Line, the heroine attempts to set the world record for Longest Tongue in the World.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible