Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf by R. A.…

Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf

by R. A. Salvatore

Another Drizzt trilogy comes to a close. As usual, there are epic battles, individual fights and the fate of a large part of the Forgotten Realms at stake. What's missing from this one is much in the way of closure - its clear the story is going to go on. Even so, this is another great installment in the story of Drizzt and his companions. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 23, 2017 |
Slightly underwhelming conclusion to an otherwise interesting trilogy.

Salvatore is an experienced writer and he can weave a solid story with ease, his writing flows wonderfully smoothly. The Companions Codex should appeal to any Drizzt fan and, starting with the Companions, to any reader interested in a very good copybook swashbuckling adventure. But if you are looking for that wow factor which turned a renegade drow into one of the most famous characters of the sword and sorcery genre, there are only traces here.

Drizzt has always been a questioning hero, as I expected his philosophical musings are as interesting and fitting as ever and he kicks ass marvellously well. However, this is the problem: this trilogy has all the elements I could love, such as battles, Jarlaxle, detailed skirmishes, internal struggles, the heroes of old, Jarlaxle, strategies, tactics and the convoluted plans of a long-lived race, Jarlaxle, a fast-paced rhythm…but my enjoyment mostly stems from the fact the story played with my old-time reader’s sensibilities. I was happy, but everything is overused, the ending is too rushed & convenient and I miss the truly harrowing straits Drizzt & Co. used to face in the past; here there is intensity but no real tension.

I’ve always been partial to Drizzt and he Companions of the Hall, it’s not even nostalgia for the olden days since I’ve read all the books in the last decade, but after The Hunter’s Blades trilogy I constantly missed that “spark” of excitement I associated with Salvatore’s books; the only thing that kept me going through a dragging story was the miraculous reappearance of Artemis Entreri, a personal favourite who, unsurprisingly, ended up heralding a group comeback.
Lately I was reading more by force of habit than due to any real interest. So, the literary choice of the Companions promised well and I was eager to try the new setting. In the end I was both thrilled and disappointed because the result was an improvement but not as good as it could have been.

Some bite wouldn’t have hurt.

I realize that I have read one book too many and, at the same time, that I’ll probably keep on reading until Drizzt breathes his last, BUT if I could go back I’d leave it at The Two Swords.

A thing I’ve often resented in longer series is the presence of filler books or when the story starts sagging in quality. I should be more coherent. Anyway, I’ve survived the Transitions and the Neverwinter quartet: the events of The Sundering and of this trilogy are surely turning things in a direction of my liking and I really hope the drows and the powerful Companions will have some surprises in store for me.
Off to [b:Archmage|23883752|Archmage (Homecoming #1; The Legend of Drizzt #28)|R.A. Salvatore|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1433576987s/23883752.jpg|43492207].

"A feint within a feint within a feint, if ever I've seen one." ( )
  Alissa- | Nov 28, 2015 |
In this astounding sequel, The Companions of the Hall continue to fight against the war brought upon them by the Drow, and every other nasty species roaming their planet. While it reads pretty much about as you expect, there are some stories that splinter off, and should become the focus of the next few books, as well as some surprising twists that add a great entertainment value. It does not leave you on the edge of your seat at the end, which frankly, I appreciate. I can wait patiently to see where these twists and turns take us in the next book!
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
I was very unhappy with the last book in this series because it seemed like the super-heroics that the characters had routinely displayed had been toned down and the effect was jarring. The crazy action sequences are the hallmark of this series and this book delivers them. A fun read. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
It was a solemn greeting at the underground western gates of Citadel Felbarr, on the first day of the second tenday in the eleventh month of Uktar.

Continues the adventures of dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden against a backdrop of a brutal war that expands throughout the Forgotten Realms.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible