Imogene in New Orleans by Hunter Murphy

Imogene in New Orleans

by Hunter Murphy

Series: Imogene (1)

Well written fun story with a boatload of quirky characters who quickly become real to the reader. The characters truly make the book both interesting and memorable. Nothing wrong with the plot, I just focused more on the characters.
It also felt like a nice visit back to NOLA because of the clear descriptions of the area.
I was fortunate to be able to listen/read, and I feel that Lee Ann Howlett did a fine job as narrator. Some might quibble about her minimal southern accent, but I feel that it is an blessing for those of us whose ears cannot entangle a deep drawl unless facing the speaker.
I was gifted with this book at my request in exchange for an honest review via AudioBookBOOM. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jul 3, 2016 |
It's kind of an odd book, really, but I enjoyed it. The author's fondness for the characters really shows through in the book, and I like that. There's nothing hardboiled here, but there are a lot of funny chase scenes and arguments as it goes along. The mystery structure is simple but effective -- I didn't guess the murderer.

My favorite part of the book is the characters, but that's also my least favorite part, because I kept wanting a deeper connection to them. I loved Jackson and Billy and they seemed really sweet together, and of course I love the dog, but I wish we'd gotten into their heads a little more. We don't really get to see their thoughts beyond who they suspect at any given time. I wish I'd been able to hear their thoughts and emotions. So, that's part of what made the book odd to me... I really wanted more of a connection, but it's because I already loved the characters!

Expanded review: https://hannahgivens.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/review-imogene-in-new-orleans-by-hunter-murphy/ ( )
  FFortuna | Mar 2, 2015 |

Imogene Deal McGregor has lived nearly three-quarters of a century in Alabama. She has a penchant for following her own instincts, as well as more grit and spunk than her hypochondriac son, Billy McGregor, and Billy's impulsive partner Jackson Miller can handle. The boys take Imogene to New Orleans with their devilishly handsome English bulldog Goose, hoping to visit friends and attend a second line parade, but moments after arriving in the French Quarter, they find their friend Glenway Gilbert murdered in his art gallery. Immediately, Imogene and the boys run into a temperamental and ethically-challenged lieutenant who appears hell-bent on neglecting the crime, compelling them to seek answers themselves. As they delve into Glenway Gilbert's murder, Imogene and the boys realize the deceased artist was surrounded by suspicious friends and lovers. With Goose the bulldog by their side, Jackson and Billy seek answers among old friends and new enemies, while Imogene follows her own ideas on the case. But the sooner they solve the murder, the sooner they can get back to catching beads and eating pralines.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:18 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,019 books! | Top bar: Always visible