The Border by Robert McCammon

The Border

by Robert McCammon

Very wordy, far too much detail. I skimmed a lot to get the basic plot of alien taking over child to save humanity. Area 52 was a nice bit of a twist. ( )
  libgirl69 | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is one of the books I picked up that I was most looking forward to reading. After having recently read The Scarlet Gospels by Mr. Clive Barker, another horror master, I was in the mood for some more thrills and maybe some chills. Yet, I found this book disappointing. I finished part 1 and read two more chapters to twelve before I could not read this book any longer. There was a lot of dialect and not a lot else happening in the story. There were a few characters introduced at a time, to get me the reader interested and to form a bond with them but there was nothing interesting about any of them. The worse part that I thought was the world. I was so looking forward to the world and what it was like. I did not get a good, strong sense about what the world was like and the story picked up after the disaster so no built up prior. Which if there had been some build up than this would have helped. However at 448 pages long, I could not commit myself to sticking with this book. ( )
  Cherylk | May 11, 2015 |
This book is an interesting mix of Robert’s earlier work Swan Song, mixed with Stephen King’s The Stand add a healthy dose of War of the Worlds and stir. Then you shake all these up and add a smidgen of comic book action –Zombies, flesh eating and shape shifting, Area 54 - to it you will have The Border.

This was a great book, although pontificating and plodding at times; then there are other times that it just felt it was going at warp speed. Some of this book really made me philosophical and had me pondering the state of our universe, the world cockiness as to how we think we are ‘the big bad’ and what may or may not be out there; some other parts just made me roll my eyes.

It seemed to me that the characters had not been fleshed out very well. I never really felt for any of the characters. I never had any sympathy for what they were going through nor did I ever feel enough about them to have any empathy for them. Learning about Ethan –what he was becoming, what he was is a fascinating aspect of this book. I wish this aspect had been explored a bit more. I never thought I would say this about a book, but I think it should have been maybe 200 to 250 pages longer and then it really could have fleshed the characters more, made the story seem less comic bookish and made more of an impression on me ( )
  Cats57 | Mar 26, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible