Last Song Before Night by Ilana C. Myer

Last Song Before Night

by Ilana C. Myer

I was originally drawn to this book by the plurality of good reviews. Unfortunately, my opinion was rather different. To me, at least, it feels very much like a retread of too many other books to mention, especially Lin's storyline. For more thoughts, see here. ( )
  elucubrare | Dec 29, 2016 |
Reviewed from copy provided by Pan Macmillan Australia. They don't pay me (damnit!), and I’m quite happy to be honest in my reviews.

Occasionally you meet a book that defies expectation, and usually it's for a reason you can't quite put your finger on. Last Song Before Night is one of those books, for me. You know that feeling of wanting everybody to read a book so that the world will understand your thoughts, but at the same time you wish nobody else would read it, so you can keep it all to yourself? I’m having that sensation right now..

Firstly, let me say that the synopsis is vastly inadequate in portraying the real depth of this novel, and it really only describes the trimmings that pretty up the peripheries of the actual story line, that runs through Last Song Before Night. I was incredibly surprised by the true nature of the book; it went from a rather safe story about bards on a journey, as gleaned from the back’o’book - to something with such incredibly hard and far reaching undercurrents.

Myer has written this gauzy dream like narrative, that lulls you into a false sense of security. Gradually, behind that floating curtain that flits about with the breeze, surrounded by sweet songs, and sighing maidens, something dark creeps behind the veil.. Then it builds, and there is a bloody brutality that you feel you are watching through this blind fold of lace, so the full force doesn't quite touch you.. Bit by bit, you realise your vital empathy organs have begun to hurt. And when that blindfold slips off, you want to reach into the book and hug everybody, because it's all so personal, and it's all so haunting..

Read the full Review at Book Frivolity
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |

"A high fantasy following a young woman's defiance of her culture as she undertakes a dangerous quest to restore her world's lost magic"--Amazon.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,694,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible