Trail of Kisses (Hot on the Trail Book 1) by…

Trail of Kisses (Hot on the Trail Book 1)

by Merry Farmer

For a full review and star rating please visit InD'tale magazine online, Mar 2015 issue.
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
A fairly middle of the road romance, this work doesn’t really have much that makes it stand out. It’s an enjoyable read but not outstanding.

The author sets a nice scene, with enough description to give the reader a clear picture of the events portrayed. I liked the different hardships of the trail she incorporated: thunderstorms, stampedes, and river crossings. Though at times, it seemed like she was trying to incorporate too much. I mean, if a wagon train experienced all that this one did, it’s a surprise that anyone would have had the courage to brave this journey. The only thing missing was an Indian raid.

Our two leads were enjoyable. I liked Cade and his no-nonsense approach to things. He was dedicated to protecting Lynne on her journey west. Lynne, however, I’m a bit more ambivalent on. I liked her spunk and personal courage. She wasn’t afraid to speak her mind and protect herself if needed. Yet, too often, she’d go to the extreme. She’d insist too hard that she could protect herself and flout society’s expectations too much. There’s being assertively independent and then there’s being too annoying about it.

The whole suspense/murder plot thing was more annoying than entertaining. I mean, really, this guy can’t just slit her throat and have done with it? He’s got to leave all these “spooky” threats and teases along the trail. Seems more incompetent than threatening. More melodrama than suspenseful. And also, I could see who the guy was a mile away. What the heck was Cade smoking that he couldn’t see what this guy was?!

So a good way to spend a few hours, but don’t go out of your way to find this title. Solid characters for the most part are a plus, with a few slides into annoying land. Nice description helps visualization of the scenery and events. But an overly melodramatic plot and other issues plague this title. I wouldn’t advise against reading this, but there are better ones out there.
Note: Book received for free from publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 14, 2016 |
This was a very good story. I was enthralled from the beginning of the book. I enjoyed the story of Lynne and Cade.

Lynne's father is a judge in Missouri and has been threatened along with his family by the Briscoe Boys. Lynne is forced by her father to head to Denver City on a wagon train to live with her uncle. Cade works for her uncle and is put in charge of her safety.

Right from the beginning you can feel the tension between Cade and Lynne. Cade is afraid of failing her uncle like he did once before. Lynne is her father's brave daughter. They are both very stubborn and it makes for some entertaining conversations. The way Cade get's exasperated by Lynne is something I found entertaining.

I look forward to reading the other books in the series. ( )
  crazy4reading | Aug 19, 2015 |
Traveling by covered wagon was not easy and doing so to get away from death threats only to find out that someone in the group traveling with you is out to kill you could not have been easy for Lynne. Having said this, I found Lynne to be a spoiled, headstrong, brat for most of the book. She did not listen to the man put in charge of her safety and did many rather silly things that threatened not only herself but livestock and others in the wagon train. I cannot see her father sending her across country without a woman to act as chaperone but this is fiction so perhaps anything is possible. I am interested in finding out how Callie, left alone due to the death of her family, ends up with the man she married out of necessity and wonder if Emma ends up with the man she seems to be interested in. I also wonder if the man in charge of the wagon train will find someone to love. The book was somewhat predictable but was well edited and fun to read. ( )
  CathyGeha | Jun 19, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,731,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible