The Sweet Spot: How to Find Your Groove at…

The Sweet Spot: How to Find Your Groove at Home and Work

by Christine Carter Ph.D.

this has some nice ideas, although many of them are for the more privileged set (maybe if you're reading this at all you're automatically in that group?) and really and truly wouldn't work for everyone. (i was hoping for a little more focused on managing work time, but just leaving when you run a business isn't really feasible. a lot of the suggestions aren't feasible for anyone who doesn't work a traditional job.) i know that the point is that it's hard to change patterns and make things different in your life, but so much of this just doesn't work for a lot of people.

and lots of it would. it's also nice that she puts in easy small steps that will help get someone started. so if you're resistant (as it would seem that i am) to the bigger changes or are unsure how to do them or make them work, she gives examples of small things that probably everyone really can do, and even if that's all that gets done, it's an improvement.

there's a lot of cited research, some of which i've seen around before. it's a nice compilation, actually, of some studies and reminders of some of them.

a lot of this came at a good time for me. there was some stuff about getting over grief or obstacles, about feeling your emotions and moving past things that are holding you back. i've felt almost completely paralyzed for the last 2 weeks so this was good to read, anyway.

"'We are all dying, some sooner, some later. The real exception is to truly live.' - Lee Lipsenthal, Enjoy Every Sandwich"

"...the Chinese symbol for busy is composed of two characters: heart and killing. In other words, busyness is devastating to our soul."

for a computerize gratitude journal, the app Happier.

"We humans are hardwired to remain with the herd even when we know, on some level, that the herd is leading us in the wrong direction. Say a researcher shows us two lines on a piece of paper, and one line is clearly shorter than the other. Then she asks us which line is longer. Alone, we will, of course, point to the obviously longer line: It's not a difficult question or a visual trick. But, if we are in a group of people who have already indicated to us that the shorter line is longer, three-quarters of us will not only say that the shorter line is longer but actually believe that the wrong answer is right." kind of how fox news and obviously fake news stories worked in this election cycle.

i also like the loving-kindness meditation that she suggests and walks us through, and will be trying to use, especially as i have a lot of opposite emotions about a lot of people right now, that's definitely interfering with my mood, level of engagement in the world and my life, and my happiness. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Nov 24, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553392042, Hardcover)

Learn how to achieve more by doing less! Live in that zone you’ve glimpsed but can’t seem to hold on to—the sweet spot where you have the greatest strength, but also the greatest ease.

Not long ago, Christine Carter, a happiness expert at UC Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center and a speaker, writer, and mother, found herself exasperated by the busyness of modern life: too many conflicting obligations and not enough time, energy, or patience to get everything done. She tried all the standard techniques—prioritizing, multitasking, delegating, even napping—but none really worked. Determined to create a less stressful life for herself—without giving up her hard-won career success or happiness at home—she road-tested every research-based tactic that promised to bring more ease into her life. Drawing on her vast knowledge of the latest research related to happiness, productivity, and elite performance, she followed every strategy that promised to give her more energy—or that could make her more efficient, creative, or intelligent.

Her trials and errors are our reward. In The Sweet Spot, Carter shares the combination of practices that transformed her life from overwhelmed and exhausting to joyful, relaxed, and productive. From instituting daily micro-habits that save time to bigger picture shifts that convert stress into productive and creative energy, The Sweet Spot shows us how to

• say “no” strategically and when to say “yes” with abandon
• make decisions about routine things once to free our minds to focus on higher priorities
• stop multitasking and gain efficiency
• “take recess” in sync with the brain’s need for rest
• use technology in ways that bolster, instead of sap, energy
• increase your ratio of positive to negative emotions

Complete with practical “easiest thing” tips for instant relief as well as stories from Carter’s own experience of putting The Sweet Spot into action, this timely and inspiring book will inoculate you against “The Overwhelm,” letting you in on the possibilities for joy and freedom that come when you stop trying to do everything right—and start doing the right things.

Advance praise for The Sweet Spot

“Illuminates the simple and sustainable path toward a precious and happy balance.”—Deepak Chopra

“A gift, like a good friend drawing a personal road map out of the crazy busy swirl of our overloaded lives.”—Brigid Schulte, author of Overwhelmed

“This book did something I thought was impossible: It seemed to give me more time.”—Martha Beck, author of Finding Your Way in a Wild New World

“A page-turning thriller full of proven ways to have the life you want.”—Rick Hanson, Ph.D., author of Hardwiring Happiness

“Timely, lively, and vital, The Sweet Spot is an immediately useful must-read.”—Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage

The Sweet Spot inspired me to make immediate changes that have increased my productivity and lowered my stress.”—Dan Mulhern, president, Granholm Mulhern Associates

“A must-read for every overworked executive, overwrought parent, or overscheduled human being.”—Jennifer Granholm, governor of Michigan, 2003–11

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:59 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,023,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible