The Kill Shot: A Jamie Sinclair Novel by…

The Kill Shot: A Jamie Sinclair Novel

by Nichole Christoff

851,035,133 (3.4)None

Kill Shot by by Nichole Christoff is a 2015 Alibi publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have not read the first book in the series, although I would like to someday, but this one reads as a stand alone just fine.

Jamie Sinclair is a security specialist who still wishes to garner her father's approval. So, when the powerful Senator asked Jamie for a favor you could have knocked her over with a feather. Naturally, despite her father's anemic displays of love or affection , she jumps at the chance to make him proud of her. So, she abandoned the one night she has with her boyfriend, Adam Barrett, a military police officer, in Washington for only a short time before he must leave on assignment, and heads off to catch a plane to London. Before it's all said and done Jamie will most likely regret ever accepting this assignment.

A nuclear physicist and her father are in grave danger and nearly everyone wants them and their secrets as they become pawns in a deadly cat and mouse game and politics begins to take control over their safety as one double cross follows another. Jamie finds herself torn between her old friend Phillip and Adam, who has miraculously appeared in London as well. Not only that, it looks as if her father has thrown her under the bus and left her to either sink or swim.

I understood what the author was going for here and it works pretty well much of the time, however, Jamie is in security and although she is working internationally, which could throw someone off their game, I still thought she was just too gullible. I could see it happening once, but on more than one occasion, Jamie took things at face value or trusted someone while I was screaming at her not to buy into it.

Having said that, I found myself unable to stop reading the book, and kept picking it back up because was worried about Adam or Jamie or wondered what was going to happen next. The pacing was just about right and the characters were deliberately vague or murky because they all had their own hidden agendas. At times though the plot was just a little bit too transparent and I think some people who read a lot of suspense or thriller novels might groan or roll their eyes in some places. But, I do like to give thrillers a little benefit of the doubt when it comes to plausibility. As long as I was invested in the characters and I am being entertained, I'm not all that hard to please.

I was not sure how to take the senator or Phillip though out the story. I was uneasy from the beginning and even less impressed by the end of the story. It does make for some interesting psychology between parent/ child and what we know deep down in our souls about someone, but are incapable of allowing that to penetrate our brains or hearts, or dwell on it for too long, because it is simply too painful. So, we continue to do whatever we think will get us that love and recognition we so desperately crave, no matter how old we are. I found this area of the book incredibly sad and Jamie's character is somewhat puzzling at times because she continues to allow some people in her life to have way too much control over her. I do hope Jamie will filter out the crap and stop allowing people to manipulate her like a puppet.

It does occur to me now that I don't recall a lot of unnecessary bad language or sexual content, it mostly stays on the innuendo side of things for those of you who take those things into consideration. I am glad I found this series and I liked this one well enough to try out any subsequent followups.

3.5 stars rounded to 4 ( )
  gpangel | Apr 29, 2015 |
I enjoyed this second book from Nichole Christoff although I did have an issue with a plot point. As the edition I was reading as an ARC, I'm hoping it was cleared up before the final edition was released. I won't point it out here due to spoilers. Other than that, I enjoyed the story very much. I received a copy of the book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  Debra_Burge | Apr 24, 2015 |
Jamie Sinclair needs a psychiatrist. An adult woman who is emotionally enslaved by her father is not an interesting protagonist and certainly not a good role model. I am disgusted that such a character is acceptable in a mainstream thriller in 2015.

I received a review copy of "The Kill Shot: A Jamie Sinclair Novel" by Nichole Christoff (Random House - Alibi) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Mar 17, 2015 |
This is the second in the Jamie Sinclair series. Her father, Senator James Sinclair (former Army Major General), is asking Jamie to accompany Katie DeMarco, a State Department Courier, to London. Jamie notices Katie is carrying a diplomatic pouch that exempts her from any search and seizure at the airport. In London, as they were making their way from the airport, someone grabs the pouch. But before they could take off, Jamie retrieves the pouch. Now it is torn and she can see it contains S Passports for people planning to defect. Katie finally explains it is for a physicist from a Middle Eastern rogue state who will trade secrets about a nuclear weapons program in exchange for asylum.

Jamie is escorting Katie, the physicist and family when once again they are placed in danger. She ushers them into a bookstore and faces the man who then opens fire on one of her charges. But, someone takes him down before he can get a kill shot. Jamie thinks that someone looks an awful lot like her boyfriend and military police officer, Adam Barrett.

The story is in Jamie’s first person account. I love that she wears square rimmed glasses; I think it helps us realize she is more like us and not some super-model. She’s portrayed at being very skilled and professional in her job, which is that of a PI and Security Specialist. However, I couldn’t completely understand why she would have been asked to escort someone in an international situation. Once she realized Barrett was also in London on the same mission, she complained that her father did not trust her. However, after shots are fired, it is clear to me that her mission would have failed if not for Barrett. I think she made mistakes in judgment in this novel and I felt frustrated that she seemed naïve about who to trust. I rated The Kill Shot at 3.5 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Mar 12, 2015 |
An action packed thriller, The Kill List by Nichole Christoff introduces us to Jamie Sinclair, a private investigator and security excerpt willing to break the rules to save her clients. The daughter of an Army general turned U.S. Senator, Jamie is intelligent, and strong and has lived her life knowing failure is not an option. Filled with plenty of action, emotional angst, colorful characters and two mysteries, this is a book any mystery or thriller reader will enjoy.

Ms. Christoff does a good job developing the primary character for both this book and her new series. I quickly connected with Jamie Sinclair, a woman who is good at her job and financially successful as a result of it. Jamie also suffers from self-doubt, fears risking her heart emotionally and has daddy issues. While helping guard a client from a stalker, and placing herself in the line of fire, Jamie finds herself being pulled into a kidnapping case involving Brooke Thorpe, the three year old daughter of her ex-husband and his new wife. Helping Tim, her ex, forces Jamie back onto familiar grounds, Fort Leeds, the military base where she grew up. Forced to work with both the FBI and Military Police, she finds herself in the middle of a turf war over jurisdiction and putting her heart on the line in more ways than one.

Ms. Christoff also does a good job developing the secondary characters and I really enjoyed getting to know the men who play a part in Jamie’s life. From Tim Thorp, Jamie’s cheating ex-husband, to Lt. Colonel Adam Barrett, the military police officer in charge of the case, we get to see two men in the service who serve for very different reasons. Especially since Jamie was in love with one before, and thinks she is falling for the other one now. We also get to meet Kevin Jaeger, an FBI agent, who has issues of his own. The two mysteries in the story are both well developed and take several twists and turns. While we get to know the identity of one of the villains fairly quickly, the revelation of who else is involved in both of Jamie’s cases is well done and was quite surprising.

Will Jamie be able to rescue and save Brooke Thorp from harm? Will the stalker who has put Jamie in the center of his fantasy be captured before it’s too late and Jamie becomes his next victim? You’ll have to read The Kill List to find out. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading The Kill Shot, the next book in this series to be released in March 2015. ( )
  MariaD. | Jan 14, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,838,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible