The Fold by Peter Clines

The Fold

by Peter Clines

14 by Peter Clines (dizzyweasel)
    dizzyweasel: set in the same universe - a "side-quel" (some of the same characters show up)

A friend, knowing how much I like Science Fiction, recommend this book to me. Since my TBR list is out of control, I decided to get the audio book. I have heard the narrator, Ray Porter, before and would give him 4.5 stars. He does change up the voices of the different characters which I really appreciate. However, for my tastes, I prefer a full cast. That is what sends an audio book over the top.

The story was well written and the prose was good. The pace was fast which suited the plot nicely. I would even go so far to say that this was an action Sci-Fi story. My favorite thing about the book was the main character Mike Erikson. I could understand why he choose the life of a high school teacher and just wanted to be unassuming. Of course things got changed around a little for him. In other words, I guess you could say I connected with him.

If you like fast paced Science Fiction, I highly recommend this one.

For more of my reviews, and author interviwes, see my blog at www.thespineview.com. ( )
  purpledog | Aug 11, 2018 |
First half of the book was great and on its way to four stars, but the second quickly made me feeling older and older because of the more juvenile tone; a string of five "fuck me"s in as many pages by one character started the avalanche. By the end it had completely lost my attention and I was ready to be done. Narrator was great though! ( )
  Spiricore | Jun 17, 2018 |
THE FOLD (2015) by Peter Clines is one of those science fiction novels that mixes some hard science with humor, action and adventure to give the reader something more than they had bargained for when gazing at the cover. The main character is Mike Erikson, a high school teacher in a small town. What makes him special is his eidetic memory. It makes him something of a superhero, remembering everything he senses. But, what is brought out in this book and what makes Mike more of a regular person, is that this memory also retains everything bad, or sad, or hurtful that has every happened to him
It is both a gift and an extremely awful curse.
His saving grace is his sense of humor.
Mike is cajoled into working for DARPA to investigate a top secret program called “The Albuquerque Door.” This is a device that transports you, in real time, from one spot to another. For now it is out in a pair of labs in the Californian desert and the two doors are located about a half mile from each other. And the biggest part of the researcher’s deal with DARPA is they will not reveal any of the science to DARPA until they are good and ready to do so.
But something has gone wrong and so Mike is drawn into looking at the scientists and the situation at the door.
There is a lot of set-up going on in the first third of the book, but that is to be expected. When the action moves into the “Door” section it does get faster paced. And there are many twists and turns as the reality of what the “Door” does comes to light.
But then some silly stuff happens that will make you wonder if perhaps Mr. Clines could not come up with a great twist for an ending and instead fell back on a couple of movies from the 80’s to fill the void. Sad to think this might be true because a great ending might have saved the entire story.
To recap: the main character gives us insight into the working, both positive and negative, of the eidetic memory.
The situation makes you say, “Okay, a transporter device, how will he handle that in a new way?” And, to a degree, Mr. Clines does just that.
The other characters are pretty thinly drawn, their science behind the device is less than stellar, and the big reveal near the end is a rerun of things you’ve seen before.
I will say that I liked the book until I had a day or two to rethink it and saw the problems. You might want read this on a rainy weekend, but have a big bowl of popcorn with you. ( )
1 vote TomDonaghey | Jun 2, 2018 |
The Fold es un libro de ciencia ficción, con elementos de suspenso, misterio, horror, acción y thriller. Un interesante cóctel que la convierte en una novela difícil de soltar.

El libro está dividido en siete partes, con 59 capítulos en total y unas 384 páginas de extensión.

En The Fold conoceremos a Leland “Mike” Erikson un hombre que tiene memoria fotográfica y un IQ bastante elevado, pero que decide llevar una vida humilde y tranquila, trabajando como profesor de secundaria.

Todo marchaba bien en la vida de Mike hasta que Reggie, un amigo de la universidad y empleado del gobierno, lo convence de hacerse parte -como observador- de un proyecto al que llaman “The Albuquerque Door”.

Al igual que en "14" -una de las novelas más populares de Clines-, The Fold brilla más por los personajes que por lo que acontece alrededor de ellos, aunque debo admitir que los sucesos en The Fold son más interesantes ya que la resolución depende más del cerebro de los personajes que por su curiosidad y sentido de aventura, como se nota en "14".

Mike es un protagonista difícil de olvidar, ya mencioné su memoria fotográfica y su coeficiente que borda a lo genial. Físicamente es descrito como un joven Severus Snape (Alan Rickman en las películas de Harry Potter) y su manera de almacenar y recordar información es comparada con un grupo de hormigas que guardan, buscan y pasan archivos por doquier. Mike, en lo emocional y con respecto al misterio, se siente atrapado en un cruce entre los hermanos Sherlock Holmes y Mycroft Holmes, ambos genios pero con motivaciones y aspiraciones distintas. Mike concluye que necesita poseer algo de ambos para poder resolver el misterio de la Puerta de Albuquerque.

El resto de los personajes no corren con la misma suerte de Mike. Desde el punto de vista del lector son figuras unidimensionales, fácilmente confundibles entre ellos y propensos a ser olvidados. En éste aspecto, "14" fue muy superior, pues casi todos los personajes brillan por sí mismos y son bastante destacables.

The Fold es una novela bastante ágil de leer. Pasando la mirada por algunos reviews de usuarios de Goodreads, éste es un punto en el que casi todos concuerdan. Está muy bien escrito, aunque de manera simple. Ya mencioné el diálogo conciso y, además, el autor sazona con cultura popular y referencias. La parte científica del libro no es para nada pesada, es mas bien interesante y el mismo caso e interacciones son las que hacen del libro un deleite.

Ahora bien, The Fold y "14" se parecen bastante en su ejecución. Son novelas que se leen deprisa, mantienen el interés y se nota están bien pensadas, pero ambas dan un giro casi de noventa grados en la recta final (un giro digno de HP Lovecraft). Para algunos en algo bueno; para otros, no tanto. Yo me ubico en el centro. Pero, debo admitir que éste detalle hace que The Fold sea un proyecto un poco predecible para quienes ya leyeron "14".

En conclusión, Peter Clines es un autor que merece más atención y más reconocimiento. The Fold es una novela excelente (al menos en 3/4 parte del libro) y "14" es muy buena (aunque menos pulida y menos memorable, en mi caso). Ya decidí leer su serie de "Ex-" (algo como una combinación de Avengers y The Walking Dead), y también tengo "The Junkie Quatrain" en mi lista.

Recomiendo The Fold, es una obra que se puede leer por sí sola... Pero, si quieren la 'experiencia completa' y mayor satisfacción al final de su novela más reciente, pues empiecen por "14". Estoy casi seguro que habrá otra novela dentro de este mismo universo o, mejor aún, una secuela directa... Quizás la próxima vez no tenga que ver con "puertas".
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
The Fold by Peter Clines is a stand alone science fiction/thriller. Cliens takes the classic scifi trope of teleportation and weaves it into a wonderful mystery giving the trope fresh feeling that is a whole lot of fun. This is old-fashioned science fiction done right.

Mike Erikson has a unique gift: he has an eidetic memory. Sure he could be doing anything he wants, like running the FBI or something, but he much prefers his quiet life as a high school English teacher in a small New England town. That's right until and old friend presents him with the ultimate mystery to solve. Out in the California desert a group of scientists has a device they call the Albuquerque Door, a sophisticated computer that uses mathematical equations to allow a person to cover great distances in a single step. The team of scientists who all insist the door is safe also keep saying they need more time to test and they need additional funding. Why would additional testing be needed if the project is a success? Mike agrees to take a trip to the site to gather information and provide a recommendation on the future of the project. It's not long before Mike realizes that things are not right, though how "not right" everything is will take some digging.

The first half of the book is all about laying the groundwork for the mystery. The story moves slowly as it introduces us to people and concepts yet never feels like an info dump. Even after Mike gets to the site and begins to dig, it takes him a little while to figure out what's going on. There is definitely a secret everyone is keeping. Then at the halfway point there's a major incident as an unintended consequences of what the scientists are doing. After that it is one heck of a thrill ride as the twists and reveals keep coming, lots of action to keep the pages turning, the tension remaining high right up to the very end.

The team of characters are fun. I liked seeing into Mike's thought process. I really enjoyed how Clines explains the way his eidetic memory works using different types of ants to represent memories and emotions. I can see just how useful that kind of memory could be but some things are meant to be forgotten! It's definitely both a blessing and a curse. The team of scientists is also good, having their own quirks. The character banter added a great touch of humor. Plenty of cultural references are worked in, especially Star Trek.

I listened to the audio book narrated by Ray Porter. He is fantastic! I really enjoy his voice and how different he makes all the characters sound.

The ending wraps with enough closure to make this a standalone novel though the writer has left himself an opening to continue on with Mike's story should he wish to. I hope he does. ( )
  Narilka | Apr 5, 2018 |

Peter Clinesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom, Sally
Who read all the bad stuff until there was finally some good stuff
"I just don't think it's that good," said Denise.

A brilliantly twisty, turny supernatural mystery from the author of the Ex-Heroes series and 14

The folks in Mike Erikson's small New England town would say he's just your average, everyday guy. And that's just how Mike likes it. Sure, the life he's chosen may not be much of a challenge to someone with his unique gifts, but Mike is content with his quiet and peaceful existence.

That is, until an old government friend presents him with an irresistible mystery--one that Mike is uniquely qualified to solve: it seems that a team of DARPA scientists has invented a device that could make teleportation a reality. But something is very wrong with the project. The personalities of the scientists who work on it are changing. People are dying. And reality itself seems to be...warping.

Mike soon learns that the machine is not at all what it appears to be--and that its creators may have opened a doorway to something horrible that lurks just outside our world's borders.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:06 -0400)

An old friend presents Mike Erikson with an irresistible mystery to solve -- far out in the California desert, a team of DARPA scientists has invented a device that shrinks distances so that a traveler can travel hundreds of feet with a single step but evidence is mounting that this miraculous machine isn't quite what it seems--and that its creators are harboring a dangerous secret.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Peter Clines's book The Fold was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible