Almost Lost Hope: From Struggles to Triumph…

Almost Lost Hope: From Struggles to Triumph

by Jimi Akanbi

222,551,640 (2.25)None
Recently added byEisah, hjvanderklis

No tags.

In Almost Lost Hope, the author Jimi Akanbi shares a testimony-style memoir of his upbringing, family life, relationships and choices regarding his personal faith in God. The rather short storyline doesn't have a deep self-reflection or point of view on the era. It's a sequential of episodes picked from Jimi's own youth in Africa and his struggle for survival and settlement in the USA. The narrative reads like an American dream mixed with God intervening in Jimi's life and fixing what's broken.
In the final chapters Akanbi boasts about his authorship, which in his opinion is a 100% Divine gift and the start of a professional writing career. Jimi's life can inspire readers. But regarding authorship I have my doubts. Although English isn't my mother tongue as well, misspellings and syntax errors were made frequently in this book. It's not clear whether proofreading has been completed. A selection from the author's bio to illustrate this: "I have been through the greatest storms of life. That is any and everything that can make a man commit suicide. Upon all, I am still standing. Perhaps this is the major reason God gave me the gift of writing for His Kingdom. Who better to counsel His people, than one who has experienced challenges and victory? " And just 105 pages is too short to share a real memoir as adult. ( )
  hjvanderklis | Feb 17, 2015 |
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

(Spoilers within)

I'm perplexed why this book was given to me to review, since I said I don't intend to review religious literature. It's an autobiography, but very much focused on God and constantly talks about his religious beliefs.

That's not to say I have anything against religious people. If you were to ask me if I could trust someone based on only knowing their occupation, something like "nun" or "monk" would be at the top of my list. But the author comes to conclusions that I don't necessarily agree with, and it's definitely a book that preaches.

As far as reading it, it flowed pretty quickly and was easy to read but it felt like English might not have been the author's first language.

"One very day..."

Making it to the hospital was a great mystery.

The reason is we had been seeking the fruit of the womb for over six months..."

Even her family took sides with her and forced at me.

There were odd word choices as well as some misspellings, and times where the author spelled something one way on one page and another way on the next.

I do have a feeling that other people would give very different accounts of some of the times he described. However, I'm not really here to judge or argue so much, just to talk about whether a book was enjoyable or not. It was all right. It's not the type of book I would seek out - I'm still confused why this was sent to me. It was very quick, it's not a long book. It wasn't difficult to read despite oddly chosen words and such.

If 'inspirational stories' are something that you're interested in, I'd say "it's okay". It's not something that left an impression on me, but I'm far from the target audience. ( )
  Eisah | Jan 25, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 150558101X, Paperback)

Amazon Best Selling Author

In Almost Lost Hope, the author "Jimi" relays a collection of true-life accounts which makes him the person he is today.
Jimi also gives an account of his success as the fastest runner of all time in his high school and state. He writes about his unusual and intriguing dating and love life.
The story includes how he constantly skipped class lectures in high school and still graduated top of his class. Also, due to a medical condition in college, went from receiving "A's" to getting "F's", yet ultimately becoming a great "A" student. He shares what he went through when he did not see his little son for almost four years.
Jimi discusses how he was so afraid of public speaking and reading, but one day overcame it through a Divine act. The author gives a report about the unorthodox way he was inspired to start writing on a professional level.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:49 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,288,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible