Maiden Lane: Border City Blues by Michael…

Maiden Lane: Border City Blues

by Michael Januska

511,436,638 (3.5)None
Recently added byscotloth, e-zReader, Dundurn, Darcia

I enjoyed the author's writing style, but had major issues with the story's execution. I just could not find a foothold. From the opening chapter, I felt lost, like I'd stepped into the middle of a movie - or, actually, a few movies combined.

Right from the beginning, we have an onslaught of characters. There is no character development and I had absolutely no sense of who these people were. I wasn't even clear on what they were doing. We jump from that first bunch of characters over to a new batch of characters doing something else entirely, and there I was equally confused. I was about 1/3 through this book before anything started to connect and make the least bit of sense to me. Even then, the coherence came in bits scattered along the way.

The plot feels both vague and tangled. There is a lot going on, but I had trouble connecting the immediate action with the content as a whole.

The setting is also problematic. While the author does a great job describing individual buildings and rooms where the action takes place, these buildings and rooms could have been anywhere at all. I was rarely clear on which border city I was in at any given time.

In fairness, I did not read the first book in this series and I don't know how much, if at all, that matters here. It might be that this book does not work well as a stand-alone read.

*I was given an advanced review copy by Dundurn via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.* ( )
  Darcia | Jan 11, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145972335X, Paperback)

When one of Detective Campbell's late-night walks is abruptly interrupted by a loud crash and a grisly thump, he kicks into high gear, summoning his old friend Dr. Laforet to work on the case. Shortly afterwards, a grim find surfaces in the Detroit River, and both cops and rumrunners race to connect the dots.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:30 -0400)

It's the winter of 1923 and the border towns are under a deep freeze, with ferries ice-bound in the Detroit River, snow burying the streets, and power interruptions. Prohibition is still the backdrop to daily life, but opium smuggling and human trafficking are a pair of disturbing additions to the mix.2015 DEWEY DIVA PICK In a failed attempt at transporting whisky across the Detroit River, a grim find is brought to the surface. When one of Detective Campbell's late-night walks is abruptly interrupted by a loud crash and a grisly thump, he summons his colleague Dr. Laforet to help with the case. Soon both cops and rumrunners are racing to connect the dots. With a whisper of the occult in the chill Windsor air, Campbell and Laforet are caught up in another mystery.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,886,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible