The Real Thing: Lessons on Love and Life…

The Real Thing: Lessons on Love and Life from a Wedding Reporter's…

by Ellen McCarthy

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Real Thing by Ellen McCarthy is such a neat little read. It was a quick read with a whimsical tone. I It made me smile and I definitely recommend it! ( )
  shellyup47 | Apr 20, 2017 |
I loved it. It was an easy read. Would recommend to others. ( )
  JenNicholson | Jul 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received this from LibraryThing Early Reviewers and took it with me on a plane journey and although a bit "fluffy," as others have mentioned, the stories in their compact chapters were easily consumed on my journey. I enjoyed it and have already recommended it to several friends for an easy read! Enjoy! It's well worth the effort. ( )
  sdmtngirl | Apr 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Occasionally trite, as all books about love can be, but I found lots of great food for thought in this slim volume. I really enjoyed it and it was a quick read! ( )
  cransell | Jan 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't particularly have high expectations for this book because I'm not a big self help/advice book type of girl, but I will admit I was completely wrong. This book, despite its small size, packed a punch and was impossible to put down. Author, Ellen McCarthy, is a wedding journalist for the Post and spends her life attending hundreds of weddings, talking to marriage experts, and chronicling some of the best (and most depressing) real life romance stories. She put all that knowledge into this compact, easily readable little book that contains lessons and advice from her experience, real couples, and experts. There are five sections: dating, commitment, breakups, weddings, and making it last. Each section contains short chapters with little morals, lesson, advice, and tidbits that she has gleaned. It's fantastic. It's most ideal for the single girl, BUT there is also great advice for people in relationships or people who are already married. Everyone will walk away with something. I loved it and will definitely return to it again. A refreshing, inspiring read.

I received this book for free from Library Thing in return for my honest, unbiased opinion. ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 22, 2015 |

From a Washington Post weddings reporter who’s covered more than two hundred walks down the aisle comes a warm, witty, and wise book about relationships—the mystery, the science, and the secrets of how we find love and make it last.

Ellen McCarthy has explored the complete journey of our timeless quest for “The One,” the Soul Mate, the Real Thing. This indispensable collection of insights—on dating, commitment, breakups, weddings, and marriage—gives us a window into enduring romance:

• Go Online Already—“It’s a major time suck and a black hole of rejection and ambiguity and lies. But you know what? It also works.”
• Keep It Confidential—“If you have to get something off your chest, pick someone whose wisdom you really trust, and who isn’t likely to spread the gossip to all your mutual acquaintances.”
• Be Nice—“Brewing the morning coffee, touching the small of your partner’s back, filling their car with gas. These things add up to more relationship satisfaction than a fancy dinner on Valentine’s Day ever could.”

The Real Thing features many more nuggets of wisdom, valuable information from the latest studies on commitment, candid testimonials from a variety of couples, and the personal story of McCarthy’s own search for “the keeper”—which begins, ironically, with a breakup the very same day she started as the Post’s full-time weddings reporter. Whether you’re looking for love or looking to strengthen your relationship, this book is a wonderful and clear-eyed map to the human heart.

Advance praise for The Real Thing

“What a charming and captivating book this is! We never stop learning about love, and so many great lessons are within these pages.”—Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love

“My readers often say to me, ‘If we lived next door to each other, we'd be best friends.’ That is precisely what I wanted to say to smart, funny, self-effacing Ellen McCarthy after I finished reading The Real Thing. I loved every lesson laid out in a book that wouldn’t dare to call itself a field guide to marriage but amounts to as much on every page. This is a deeply useful little book.”—Kelly Corrigan, author of Glitter and Glue

“Ellen McCarthy is the real thing. She has the real take on life, falling in love, falling out of love, and working hard to get back into the game and make relationships go the distance. Anyone who wants to keep love alive long after the honeymoon is over needs to read McCarthy’s wisdom.”—Iris Krasnow, author of The Secret Lives of Wives

“Reading The Real Thing is like sitting down with your smart, witty, honest friend for some amazing relationship advice. Ellen McCarthy is thoughtful and wise, and the stories she tells us about love and relationships are charming, entertaining, and (above all) really useful. I plan to give this book to all of my friends—married, single, dating, divorced, and anything in between!”—Jennifer Close, author of Girls in White Dresses

“A delightful, wise, and good-hearted guide to modern romance, with the perfect balance of real talk and sap, plus just enough ‘happily ever after’ to send you away smiling.”—Rebecca Dana, author of Jujitsu Rabbi and the Godless Blonde

“Upbeat and sweet . . . This rich collection of stories charms and edifies.”Booklist (starred review)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:24 -0400)

"From a Washington Post weddings reporter who's covered more than two hundred walks down the aisle comes a ... book about relationships--the mystery, the science, and the secrets of how we find love and make it last"--Dust jacket flap.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ellen McCarthy's book The Real Thing was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,324,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible