An Exaggerated Murder: A Novel by Josh Cook

An Exaggerated Murder: A Novel

by Josh Cook

I really enjoyed reading this book - we have Trike Augustine, who is written as an asshole, alcoholic, snarky, Sherlock Holmes-esque figure, who has great power of deductions. However, he is NOT a Sherlock Holmes ripoff. The author manages to make him vulnerable, where his alcoholism is a result of knowing everything.

He works with Max, his partner and the one in charge of the managing the office and Lola, an artist with an amazing way of visualizing information. Both of the characters are very well written and goes beyond the stereotypes of the side kick. I especially like how Max is written, he doesn't get a lot of description, but what is written captures his personality and manages to paint a back story. Lola is written as an enigma - at first the side kick that runs around and does all the grunt work, but as time goes in, she is shown to be a genius in her own right, possibly equal to Trike.

The story is great, with lots of wrong turns, interesting red herrings, and a fast pace. However, it started going into a meta type story, with the ending not exactly explained. I found this very annoying, and it almost ruined the story. But, its so well written up to that point, I'm sticking it on my re-read list to see if there is something I missed on my first reading. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Apr 14, 2018 |
Actually got to page 100 before throwing in the towel. Life is just too short.
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |

Private investigator Trike Augustine may be a brainiac with deductive skills to rival Sherlock Holmes, but they're not doing him any good at solving the case of a missing gazzilionaire because the clues are so stupefyingly, well, stupid!

Josh Cook is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,304,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible