Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I really do love this series. J.K. Rowling is a very creative individual! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
E-books I
  davidweigel | Nov 1, 2008 |
Megan Reed
EDCI 4120
7/30/08
Rowling, J.K. (1997). Harry Potter and the sorcerer’s stone. New York: Scholastic Inc.
Grade Levels: 4-12
Category: Science Fiction
Read Alouds: pp. 113-125(Sorting Hat put Harry, Ron and Hermione are put in the Gryffindor House); pp. 180-193(The beginning of the quidditch season); pp. 288-306(Harry finds out it was Quirrel not Snape that where trying to get the sorcerer’s stone)
Summary: when Harry was a baby He Who Must Not Be Named killed his parents. For ten years he lived with his mothers sister and her family. They treated Harry like scum. One day some letters started to arrive for Harry. His uncle was fast to take the letters and destroy them so Harry wouldn’t find out its contents. Eventually Harry finds out he is a wizard just like his deceased parents. He gets invited to Hogwarts a wizard school and he accept. Like all other new wizards Harry had to put on the sorting hat to find out what house he should belong to. When he put it on the hat had a hard time deciding but he ended up in the Gryffindor house. Harry tries out for Quidditch and makes the team. Harry, Ron and Hermione all think Snape is trying to find the sorcerer’s stone so he can help He Who Must Not Be Named become a human again. Harry, Ron and Hermione try to get to the sorcerer’s stone first and they find out that it was Quirrell not Snape who was trying to get the stone for He Who Must Not Be Named.
Themes: Friendship is a huge theme in this book. Harry finds that he can really trust Ron and Hermione for almost anything. Good versus evil is another theme. There is a line drawn in this book between good and evil on all levels. The Slytherins are evil and the Gryffindor's are good. Harry is good and He Who Must Not Be Named is evil and there is a constant fight between the two through out this book. Willpower is another interesting theme. Harry even though he is only a first year wizard he defeats Quarrel.
Discussion Questions: Without Hermione and Ron’s friendship could Harry have found Quarrel was the culprit? Would the Wizarding community let Harry just say no to wizard school if he wanted or was he too big of a hero before he started school? Would Harry be able to trust Dumbledore if he had been wrong about Snape?
Reader Response: I came from a religious family and when these books first came out my parents didn’t want me reading them. Now that I don’t live at home I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I liked the book. I thought it was very slow moving at first. I think if I would have skipped the pages where he was at the Dursley’s I would have liked it better.
  mreed16 | Aug 3, 2008 |
These are editions without author or ISBN, so they may be either the book or the movie (as evident by the covers). Please don't combine with either of the works.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,645,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible