Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card

Seventh Son (1987)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Tales of Alvin Maker (1)

3,549521,491 (3.85)1 / 50

This is the first in Card's 'Alvin Maker' series.
It takes place in an alternate Colonial America (one where Washington got beheaded for treason). The 'alternate history' elements, however, are incidental - the story itself has to do with one young boy, Alvin Jr, who's a seventh son of a seventh son, and has unusual powers, even in a large family who don't think that 'supernatural' powers are that unusual. Alvin swears, at a very young age, not to use his power for evil or selfish reasons - but nonetheless, there seems to be some power bent on his destruction.
The book focuses more on moral and ethical dilemmas than on action - but it never failed to hold my interest. It also did a very good job of portraying religious people of varying beliefs without ever getting 'preachy' - although one might say that Card definitely says, here, that people can be good without being perfect, and that the righteous can also be mistaken. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Alvin Jr. is the 7th son of a 7th son. From the beginning his life has challenges and the water tries to take him. Orson Scott Card is a wonderful storyteller. I listened to the unabridged audio and the different narrators made this even better. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
Interesting premise, but even after 100 pages, I did not like it. Life's too short to continue, even though I loved this author's Ender books. ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 23, 2015 |
My father recommended this book to me, saying that it was an alternate history of American and native American history which caught my interest immediately. This book doesn't really touch upon it however, and focuses more on Alvin's childhood. The second book is where the alternate history will really be noticeably I'm told. I enjoyed this book a lot; it kept me engaged the whole book. The ending is a little ominous and I am eager to get my hands on the next book. ( )
  Kassilem | Sep 13, 2015 |
I didn't like this one, and that was before OSC broke my heart with his politics (which are naturally in his books)
  Evalangui | Aug 22, 2014 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harrison, Mark G.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolan, DennisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Emily Jan,
who knows all the magic
that she'll ever need.
Little Peggy was very careful with the eggs.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812533054, Mass Market Paperback)

From the author of Ender’s Game, an unforgettable story about young Alvin Maker: the seventh son of a seventh son. Born into an alternative frontier America where life is hard and folk magic is real, Alvin is gifted with the power. He must learn to use his gift wisely. But dark forces are arrayed against Alvin, and only a young girl with second sight can protect him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:44 -0400)

In an alternate frontier America, Alvin, the seventh son of a seventh son, is born with a destiny to become something great, perhaps even a Maker.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,149,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible