Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 1)…

Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 1) (original 1987; edition 1993)

by Orson Scott Card

3,947611,997 (3.83)1 / 56
Named an American Library Association Best Book for Young Adults -- From the author of the award-winning Ender's Game comes the unforgettable story of young Alvin Maker, the seventh son of a seventh son. Born into an alternative frontier America where life is hard and folk magic is real, Alvin is gifted with power, but he must learn to use his gift wisely. Dark forces are arrayed against Alvin, and only a young girl with second sight can protect him.… (more)
Member:Falcon124
Title:Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 1)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Fantasy (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

Seventh Son (Tales of Alvin Maker, Book 1) by Orson Scott Card (1987)

A fun book and a quick read. Told from an alternate universe in the early to mid 1800's in the United States where hexes and some magic is real. Tells of the birth and initial years of Alvin Maker. This is Orson Scott Card being a great storyteller. ( )
  Mactastik | Sep 4, 2019 |
When I read this novel, in my teens, I was living in a rural area that used water witchers for choosing well sites and troubleshooting underground water issues. The "knacks" in The Tales of Alvin Maker was a fascinating extension of real life into a fantastical version of American history. Even at that time, though, I didn't much like the characters or care about their goals. It was to see more of the story's world that I continued reading the series. ( )
  aspirit | Jun 10, 2019 |
(see c3)
  librisissimo | Mar 12, 2019 |
part way through - focus seems to not be on developing the character so much as developing the world ( )
  jason9292 | Feb 1, 2018 |
A story of 19th Century America-as-it-might-have-been, and of a little boy who is born the 7th son of a 7th son and with the potential to be a great power against the "unmaker" of the universe. The story is promising but I will probably not pursue this series because, frankly, I get very tired of Card's preachiness. He uses his characters to "hold forth" about his personal philosophies to an extent that I found wearing. Quite a pity, since this could have been an excellent book. ( )
  turtlesleap | Jun 1, 2017 |

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harrison, Mark G.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolan, DennisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Emily Jan,
who knows all the magic
that she'll ever need.
Little Peggy was very careful with the eggs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,316,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible