Bone Dry: A Soul Shamans Novel (Volume 1) by…

Bone Dry: A Soul Shamans Novel (Volume 1)

by Cady Vance

16 (1) Boston (1) ebook (1) free (1) GR Import (1) Kindle (1) magic (1) paranormal (2) romance (1) shamans (1) teen (2) to-read (19) YA (1) young adult (1)

I received this book free through LibraryThing :)

I really loved the premise of this book and was really intrigued with the Shamanism theme so when I won this copy I was really excited.

I wish I could say I thoroughly enjoyed it but there were a few aspects of this book I found difficult to connect with and enjoy. I found the story a little rushed or drawn out in the wrong places when I either wanted more information or less. I never really connected with any of the characters which made it hard to emotionally connect to the book either.

The underlying romance in the book between Holly and Nathan seemed forced and only present to be able to tick the love interest box.
The villains were intimidating and violent but then they just failed to stick with that when they just let them go. They were all talk no action and I never really felt the main character was in much danger even when she seemed to forget or ignore her new found "Intuition".

The main character, Holly, didn't want to do anything alone so drags in the two people she loves the most and literally shoves them into life/death situations over and over but it's all to save her mom so it's all rightly moralistic right?! Hmmm...

There's a presence of naïvity throughout the book and some of the situations and outcomes are just a little too far fetched for me and I'm usually a huge fan of supernatural themes.

Overall I found the book a little too predictable, hard to connect to or believe, a little repetitive in places, a few continuity errors but the author does have a nice writing style and is suited to the YA audience :)

2.5 stars from me

*This review is purely my opinion and just a reflection on my overall reaction to the book :)* ( )
  Amberlouichu | Mar 28, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Cady Vance's book Bone Dry was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Cady Vance is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible