A Tender Struggle: Story of a Marriage by…

A Tender Struggle: Story of a Marriage

by Krista Bremer

I received this book for free from Member's Giveaway. I lasted to page 78 when I couldn't take it anymore. I really cannot read a memoir about someone who is truly self centered and cares too much about material things.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/103298.html
  booklover3258 | Mar 17, 2016 |
This is a well written memoir about an American Christian woman who marries a Libyan Muslim man.
Krista gives details about how cultural differences can complicate a marriage. She also shows how those differences can enhance the relationship.
Having experienced something similar myself, I can relate. ( )
  LynnGW | Jun 18, 2015 |
This is a very well written memoir about the challenges of blending two diverse cultures in a marriage, particularly in the south. There are passages of great poignancy and frustrating misunderstandings that exist in every partnership, and Bremer has been very honest about sharing these private moments. Like another reviewer, I also wondered about her family's acceptance of a Muslim and the unintentionally hurtful reactions of friends. It is an engaging memoir by a talented writer. ( )
  pdebolt | Mar 23, 2015 |
This memoir of a marriage read like a poetic novel. I'm someone who is fascinated with other cultures, especially those that we're shown so little of in America. I didn't know anything about Libya, so this was a learning experience for me. I also learned a bit more about Islam, and for that new knowledge, I'm glad I read this book.

I'm surprised the author never really talked about how her family felt about her marrying into a completely different world. It didn't really feel like the book was lacking, but I was curious. I was also surprised that she just went forward with the relationship without even really seeming to think about the difficulties that might be ahead, but I guess that's love for you!

The other surprising part was when she found a Muslim guru and seemed to find somewhat of a spiritual home in Islam after years of just observing it from the sidelines. In addition to her trip to Libya, I found this the most interesting part of the book.

I'd recommend this book for romantics, feminists, and world travelers. Elizabeth Gilbert endorsed this book, and I can see why. It definitely had an Eat, Pray, Love vibe to it. This wasn't my favorite book ever, but it was very readable and kept me interested. I would read another book by Krista Bremer.

Thank you very much, Algonquin Books, for providing me with a review copy. ( )
  __Lindsey__ | Mar 15, 2015 |
An interesting read. The book flowed very nicely. Wonderful insight to her journey of personal growth. ( )
  ninjette1988 | Mar 5, 2015 |

The author describes her experiences as the journalist wife of a Libyan-born Muslim with whom she lives in the American south, a relationship that has endured prejudices and respective views about family and parenting.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Krista Bremer's book A Tender Struggle: Story of a Marriage was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,642,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible