Love, Lucas by Chantele Sedgwick

Love, Lucas

by Chantele Sedgwick

141683,257 (4)None

I probably shouldn't say I enjoyed a book that is about a beloved brother dying of cancer, so I'll just say I was immediately caught up in it. I cared about the characters and felt Oakley's pain and confusion about life going on after you lose a loved one. I thought the way she would try to keep living, and then push people away again was very believable. If your children are wanting to read stories about love and death but you don't want them reading the language and content of a John Green book, or a Gayle Forman book - this is the book to point them towards. There is a sweet romance that doesn't go beyond kissing, there is little to no bad language, and even though the loss of a brother is tragic, it shows a girl learning to live through that experience. There is quite a shocking occurance towards the end of the book that really amps up the excitement level. But all ends as well as could be expected.
I need more books like this in my middle school library. I will definitely be recommending this to my students.

Areas of concern:
Death of a loved one.
Possible divorce of parents.
A violent accident that involves blood, but is not too graphic.
Sweet romance with some kissing.

http://read-me-maybe.blogspot.com ( )
  Bduke | Sep 30, 2015 |

Grieving for her older brother Lucas, Oakley Nelson agrees to spend a few months with her mother at Aunt Jo's California beach house, where a notebook of letters from Lucas to Oakley challenges her to feel better and enjoy life, but a budding romance reminds her of the chances Lucas will never have.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,007,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible