Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel…

Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah

by Laurie Ann Thompson

1925161,408 (4.42)5

This is a cool story I had never heard before! I will absolutely be looking into more about this man! ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
I love the book Emmanuel's Dream, because it is a wonderful book about overcoming challenges. It is a moving true story of a boy in Ghana who has the courage to overcome a disability and become a respected adult. The author told Emmanuel’s story with very vivid language; take the opening line for example “two bright eyes blinked in the light, two healthy lungs let out a powerful cry, two tiny fists opened and closed, but only one strong leg kicked.” The descriptive language allows readers to experience Emmanuel’s world through the text, which is what makes readers really connect to the significance of this story. A good quote from the book is “in this world, we are not perfect. We can only do our best.” This quote is representative of the story because Emmanuel is not what society would consider a “perfect athlete” but he does the best that he can, and his best gets him a lot further than expected. That is what makes the story so powerful, because despite all of Emmanuel’s challenges he accomplishes more than most privileged people do in their lives. It is hard to read this book and not get emotional, because the book is such a powerful story. What readers can take away from this story is that challenges should never be an excuse to give up; no matter what hurtles a person has to overcome there is always a way through. ( )
  Cbrown81 | Oct 10, 2017 |
“Emmanuel’s Dream”

“Emmanuel’s Dream” is about a boy named Emmanuel, who was born with 1 ½ legs. Many people thought that Emmanuel would never amount to anything because he was disabled. However, he finds work when his family needs money and learns to ride a bike with one leg. He even rides his bike across Ghana, which is where he is from. This made him famous. I liked this book for two reasons. The first reason is Emmanuel’s character. His strong and determined character is why the message of the book is being you can do anything that you set your mind too. When Emmanuel went to the city to find work, he saw many disabled people who were beggars and many people did not want to hire him because of his disability. However, Emmanuel was not discouraged and kept looking for work until someone hired him. I also think that riding a bike across an entire country is remarkable, even with two legs.
I also liked the message of the book, which was you can do anything you set your mind too. This message has been told through many stories, however, Emmanuel’s incredible story makes the message extremely believable. As I was reading, I thought, if Emmanuel can ride a bike across Ghana with one leg, then I can do something that seems/is difficult as well. I also liked the quote “Being disabled does not mean ‘unable’.” ( )
  jbush2 | Oct 3, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this story. I loved the fact that it was based off a real person and instead of creating a biography with text only, the story was turned into a picture book. It is nice to be able to tell a real story even in a picture book form. Emmanuel’s story is extremely powerful and is a great example of conquering the odds against him. This message is fantastic, especially regarding a person who may have a disability. From Emmanuel having a weak leg and people telling him that he will not be able to do tasks such as ride as bike to not only learning to ride a bike, but biked over 400 miles in 10 days is insane. This story has many real connections to not only people who have disabilities. Emmanuel faced some hardships in Africa and when his mother passed away he needed to stop school and leave his home to work for a couple of years to support his family. He has persevered and be courageous from the start. Nothing can stop him from beating the odds or attempting to.There are some cultural aspects that one can learn from this book. I feel that Emmanuel is an inspiration to all and that anyone who reads his story will be transformed. It simple is a powerful and strong book. I would rate this 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  tweiss3 | Oct 2, 2017 |
In my opinion, this story was great. It was very inspirational, circling around the big idea of never giving up. First off, I loved how this was a true story and was condensed down into a picture book. The author told the story in a clear and concise way that is easy for young students to understand. I loved the main character, Emmanuel. He was very inspiring and demonstrated the moral of the story to never give up. He learned to crawl, hop 2 miles to and from school, ride a bike, and have a job all on his own despite having a physical disability. In addition, the illustrations throughout the story were very supportive to the text. For example, when Emmanuel was pictured, he always had a short leg. Or they showed him riding his crawling, riding his bike, or whatever the text said. ( )
  DanielleGardner | Sep 23, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044981744X, Hardcover)

Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah's inspiring true story—which was turned into a film, Emmanuel's Gift, narrated by Oprah Winfrey—is nothing short of remarkable.

Born in Ghana, West Africa, with one deformed leg, he was dismissed by most people—but not by his mother, who taught him to reach for his dreams. As a boy, Emmanuel hopped to school more than two miles each way, learned to play soccer, left home at age thirteen to provide for his family, and, eventually, became a cyclist. He rode an astonishing four hundred miles across Ghana in 2001, spreading his powerful message: disability is not inability. Today, Emmanuel continues to work on behalf of the disabled.

Thompson's lyrical prose and Qualls's bold collage illustrations offer a powerful celebration of triumphing over adversity.

Includes an author's note with more information about Emmanuel's charity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:42 -0400)

Born in Ghana, West Africa, with one deformed leg, he was dismissed by most people--but not by his mother, who taught him to reach for his dreams. As a boy, Emmanuel hopped to school more than two miles each way, learned to play soccer, left home at age thirteen to provide for his family, and, eventually, became a cyclist. He rode an astonishing four hundred miles across Ghana in 2001, spreading his powerful message: disability is not inability. Today, Emmanuel continues to work on behalf of the disabled.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible