A Castle Full of Cats by Ruth Sanderson

A Castle Full of Cats

by Ruth Sanderson

Summary: This story is about a Queen who has many, many cats. The Queen loves them but the cats feel as if the King doesn't like them as much as they like him. So they try their best to win his affection. In the end, the King gets a dog who ends up becoming friends with the cats, and they decide the King must love them afterall since he got them a dog as a new friend.

Critique of Genre: Fantasy, because the story is being told from the point of view of all the cats in the house and animals can't actually talk or have feelings about being well-liked.

Age: Primary

Media: Does not specify ( )
  aschoenberg12 | Mar 22, 2017 |
I *loved* this one--story, text, pictures, all of it--about a prince who finds himself at odds with his wife's love of the dozens of cats she's invited into their castle. ( )
  lycomayflower | Dec 31, 2016 |
Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
Fun rhyming story with great illustrations. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
So the Queen has filled their castle with cats and the King isn't too thrilled about the situation. The cats attempt to show the King how much they love him with gifts (like a dead mouse in his shoe) and personalized artwork (scratches on the walls in the shape of a cat), but the King is not easily won over. Then the King takes matters into this own hands and brings home a dog. A big horse of a dog, too; it looked like a boarhound or mastiff. And, as per usual, the cats interpret the dog as a gift from the King to show how much he does in fact love the cats.

Loved it from start to finish!!! This was my first Sanderson and I plan to read more of her books at my earliest opportunity.

5 stars (and added to my buy list)

EDITED: Correction. This was NOT my first Sanderson. After reading through her 1975-1983 page I discovered that she illustrated The Store-Bought Doll, one of my favorite books when I was a little girl. How cool is that?!! I love re-discovering childhood loves in my adult years. I still have my original copy too, which I read to my daughter when she was little. It's now saved in my daughter's "special stuff" box to read to / gift to her kid(s) someday. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Apr 20, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044981307X, Hardcover)

The queen’s cats have taken over the palace, and the king has had enough! Beloved artist Ruth Sanderson brings her signature detailed and lush style to this humorous story of royal compromise. Told in rhyme, and with dozens of cats on each page, this gorgeous book is sure to have cat lovers of all ages purring!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible